“False advertising on rates”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Abingdon
Baltimore, Maryland
“False advertising on rates”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was the last hotel we booked on a 9 day cross country trip with our two adult kids. I reserved a 2 queen bed suite for 109.00 per night plus tax on Booking.com. When I arrived, they had our reservation, but told me the rate would be 129.00. Then when they saw we had 2 other people, they added another 20.00. By the time we checked out, our bill was 166.00 which included $9 for 2 sodas and 2 bottles of water. The desk clerk was consulting with a man who was later identified as the owner, so the owner right then and there had the opportunity to rectify the price, but chose to play dumb. We were tired, it was dark and raining outside -- we should have taken our business elsewhere. The desk clerk had the audacity to say that we should "never reserve on the internet -- that you get the best rate dealing directly with the hotel at the desk"!!!! I know for a fact, that usually the opposite is correct. They refused to honor my AAA card or my AARP card. I am a Choice Points card holder, so they will be receiving a letter of complaint at this hotel's predatory rates and false advertising. I re-looked up the double queen rate while in the hotel and it read $109.00 for a double queen suite which could accommodate up to 5 people. We were a total of 4. Not one other hotel in our entire journey charged us for our 2 extra adult kids. Also the towels were basically thrown into the bathroom -- not hung neatly or with special folding and there was a horrible yellow stain on the first hand towel. I will never be staying at this hotel again, you can be sure. If you don't pay ahead online, you can be sure to be ripped off when you arrive, so be prepared to walk to the Comfort Inn and Suites which is across the road. (The hotels have similar names not to be confused/they are 2 different hotels).

Room Tip: Check your room first -- if it's dirty, report it right away so you don't get stuck with the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lili R
Kate M, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
I was terribly sorry to see that you were unhappy with your stay at our hotel. We strive to make all the guests feel as comfortable and "at home" as possible.

Thank you for your review. All feedback is helpful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The motel was Very nice & we had a Great time in Abingdon. It was spacious, we were given a room on a ground floor, which was Great. TV was great, internet had one snafu & I got that corrected, breakfast area was nice. But . . . We were in a Handicap room, Bathroom had NO place to put our toiletries, but we made do, when I opened the drawer on the computer desk, it literally fell out in my lap, & the bed - it was NOT up to standards of ANY Comfort Suites we had stayed in previously over the last 6 years! It was Soft & spongy. Breakfast menu was very much lacking, & the first morning, the biscuits were dry(no gravy this day) & the only bananas they had out were All Green. The lady who worked behind the desk on days was very nice & helpful as was the man who worked what I would call the mid-shift. However, the man behind the desk on the day of our check out, seemed like he could care less about my 3 minor complaints & basically told me we should look elsewhere next time we come up there, which we will! I will NOT stay at this Comfort Suites again. The Quality Inn we stayed at the night before in Dandridge, TN was 5 times nicer & had a Much better breakfast selection than this motel did!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

As a business traveler, I had to cancel a reservation at this Comfort Suites at the last minute due to a change of plans outside of my control. Since I was outside of the hotel's cancellation policy,
my credit card was charged. I called the front desk and talked to Richard Frye, who was very professional and understanding, and had alot of experience dealing with road travelers on business. Richard said he would do what he could to get those charges reversed. Because of the pleasant manner he handled this, I would not hesitate to book at this Comfort Suites again.
John LaRosa
Roanoke, VA.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John L
Danville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 6, 2013

On October 5th, my husband & I travelled to Marion, Virginia, to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday. We were looking forward to spending time with several other family members who also had reservations at Comfort Suites in Abingdon, Virginia. My husband who is diabetic checked his blood sugar level that evening & discovered it was dangerously high. He, of course, had his insulin with him but could not find the needles for his syringe. Since it was a weekend he was unable to contact his physician to get a prescription for the needles. We decided it was in his best interest to cut our visit short & go home where he had more needles. When I contacted Comfort Suites & spoke to Richard Frye, he was very understanding of our situation since he has family members who are also diabetic & agreed to cancel our reservation even though it was after the 4:00 deadline to cancel. We were so thankful to Mr. Frye as we are senior citizens on a fixed budget. Would we stay at Comfort Suites when in the area again? Thanks to Mr. Frye, You bet we will!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Carol E
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have to say that his was a nice hotel in a nice location. I was not overly impressed by the staff or the customer service (other than the lady working the morning I checked out). I was concerned by how the situation was handled when I went to the front desk to buy something from their market place. I had done so the first night with no issue in presenting a different credit card. I then attempted the same thing the next day only to be told that he could not put it on that card and it would have to go on the hotel bill. Either way it was NOT an issue, I just feel a little more training could be done in how to handle the situation.
The room was amazing,clean, spacious.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Timickus
NC
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We arrived earlier than the stated check-in time due to our bike ride being rained out. We asked about the possibility of checking in early- about an hour and half- and were allowed to as the room was ready. This was very much appreciated. The room was clean, the air conditioner worked well and the bed was comfy. There was one minor issue in the bathroom-the caps on the back of the toilet seat that cover the screws were missing. Thus there was a small build up of dirt, cleaning materials and so on. Nothing major-but a VERY easy fix. The fridge in the room was top notch and spacious. There was a nice view from our room-large farm area complete with cows. The hotel is back off the main road so there is not a noise/traffic issue.

The only disappointing part of our stay was the breakfast buffet. It was not fully stocked, therefore we had to wait for items to be brought out-i.e. eggs, yogurt, and so on. And they did not have bacon or sausage links-just sausage patties. It did not seem overly busy at the time so I am not sure why there was an issue. However, on a good note, when I needed aluminum foil to cover up some dinner leftovers to pack for trip home the person in the kitchen was very accommodating!

My partner and I plan on returning again to hit the Virginia Creeper Trail again, so we will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marcia S
Alabaster, Alabama
Reviewed August 31, 2013

After looking forward to a 15 day motorcycle vacation heading to Maine from Alabama we experienced a medical emergency - cervical disc compression. We had to scurry to cancel hotel reservations but discovered the deadline for Comfort Suites in Abingdon, VA had passed , last night. The general Manager, Mr. Frye was very nice when I explained our situation. He showed compassion and concern for us and agreed to cancel our reservation without charge. He did not have to, because it is specifically in their written policy. I am so grateful. Often people use Trip Advisor to complain. I wanted to spread the GOOD news, for a change. When we are able to take our trip we will definitely be staying at Comfort Suites. I look forward to meeting Richard Frye. He surely is a man of character!!!

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Helen R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Quality Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!