“Dated and dirty”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Clarksburg, West Virginia
“Dated and dirty”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on a trip through the area. We read previous reviews which were mixed, prior to staying.

Unfortunately, our experience concurs with the more negative.

Furnishings are dated and well worn. Stains on couch. Numerous scratches and chips on the outdated furnishings.
Lighting was dim.

Although the carpet was nice, once morning light arrived, it was obvious only a half hearted effort was given to cleaning it, as dust and debris were easily seen along the edges of walls.
As previous reviews have posted, we found spiders, flies and ants in our room.
Although it is easy to understand a fly or ant gaining access to the room after they've been cleaned, I don't believe this is the case here, because the spiders have been here a while and appear to have settled in for the long haul. I found webs from ceiling to curtain, from sprinkler to ceiling and lots around the a/c unit and corners of room near furniture. I will post pictures.

The next time we are passing by, we will definitely pass by this hotel. There are far too many in the vicinity to pay $100+ for these accommodations.
My recommendation is that other travelers do the same, until which time upgrades and housekeeping training can be done here.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Brennon O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Stephenson, Virginia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend with our daughter's softball team during the Va. state tournament. Richard and his staff were great! They went above and beyond to make our stay very relaxing and enjoyable. Our girls enjoyed the indoor pool, hot tub and hanging out as a team. We were able to have a team pizza party out in the back parking lot too! I would highly recommend this hotel. We have been involved with travel softball for over 10 years and have stayed at many hotels. This one definitely ranks as one of the best! Many thanks to Richard and his staff!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Richard, the General Manager, was very kind when I had to cancel a reservation due to the death of a friend. Although my reservation was non-refundable, Richard refunded it anyway. I appreciated his professionalism and kindness at such an emotional time. Thank you!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend I checked in and found the bathroom sink was covered in whiskers were someone had shaved. I cleaned that up myself thinking it was an over site. The next day once I returned to my room it hadn't been serviced by housekeeping only some towels put in bathroom. I informed the front desk and they got the general manager. He proceeded to tell me that I was paying a lower rate. So I guess if you stay here and shop for a good rate then don't expect customer service! Pool was nasty as well as the hot tub.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Raccoongirl
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am a long-standing customer of Comfort Suites and have traveled for the majority of my 20+ year professional career. I had booked a one-night stay in anticipation of spending the night in the area. When it was obvious that I would conclude my business in plenty of time to return home - I called the hotel to cancel my reservation. I was informed of the cancellation policy and that I would be charged for the room regardless. Since I had called very early in the afternoon - I had hoped that the charge would be waived/adjusted. The manager stated that there was only one way that the charges could be reversed -- IF I would log on to Trip Advisor and rate the hotel as a "5 star" for customer service. He went on the say that the following business day - the charge would be credited back to my credit card. Honestly, I have never given a review like this but would have willingly done so – IF I had received excellent customer service . . . . but being manipulated/extorted in exchange for a positive rating is unethical and unprofessional. I am shocked that this type of behavior is tolerated in this organization - especially from their leadership. Needless to say, I have reported this incident and personally will not stay at the Comfort Suites when I return to the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BGGiles
London, Kentucky
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My family and I (4 adults and 1 child) stayed a weekend in Abingdon to ride the Virginia Creeper trail. The trail was awesome! We chose Comfort Suites because of the value and the indoor pool. On our way back from the ride, our truck broke down. We had to spend most of Monday trying to get repairs. The room and the pool were nice and clean. The breakfast was very good with a nice variety of hot food. The manager and staff were very accommodating very helpful in our dilemma. They went the extra mile providing excellent customer service. We will definately be riding the trail again and we will definately stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tucson
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Close to Damascus as I was looking at a property there. Staff was extremely helpful, suggested restaurants and offered directions to my bank locally. Easy to navigate to and from, breakfast is good with hot & cold selections. Overall a good value in a small town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Quality Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!