“Okay for One Night”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Richmond, VA
“Okay for One Night”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Got "walked" to this hotel from my original reservation and the Hampton Inn the next exit up, so stayed here one night. Wasn't too thrilled with the last minute change of plans, but staff was very friendly and accommodating. Room was large with 2 full beds, small sitting area, and desk area. Floor didn't appear to have been vacuumed, and there was a stale smell common in hotels. Breakfast was good, very similar to Hampton Inn. Indoor pool. Best part was being walking distance from Moon Dog Brick Oven, which I wouldn't have found had I been at Hampton Inn as planned!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed May 22, 2013

While the front desk service was excellent – friendly , kind, and helpful. The hotel did not meet our team expectations. My room had mold in the bathroom, a torn curtain, non-working clock and lights. It was much too worn and smelled stale. And the bright sign and Macdonald arches shined in my room all night. I turned down the free breakfast for Macdonald as I found the food plentiful but unpleasant.

Conover, North Carolina
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel at least once or twice a year for the past 5 years. The church I volunteer with reserves several rooms every year during Trail Days. It has been clean, roomy, comfortable, and quiet. The beds are very comfortable. The staff is helpful and friendly and I have always felt welcomed when we return every year. This year due to a botched airline ticket I had to cancel my reservation at the last minute and Richard graciously accommodated my cancellation. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Never had a bad room there.
York, PA
Reviewed May 16, 2013

After all of the positive reviews, I expected this property to be better. The rooms had a very strange smell, they did not seem to be cleaned well between stays (we stayed on night and then another 4 days later in the same rooms), the WiFi internet was slow, and the hot breakfast was horrible.

Do not use MapQuest to help you find it either.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This has been our destination hotel for previous creeper trail excursions. Wife and I planned a getaway weekend for another trail ride. Due to medical issues, we were forced to cancel a few hours before arrival on our first night. Richard was very understanding and helpful in accommodating our cancellation. Highly recommend staying here. Michael

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The room was spacious and clean. The free much-more-than-continental breakfast had a great selection, with hot items including waffles, eggs, bacon, and sausage biscuits, and more. I didn't experience any noise problems on my particular date. The pillows were a nuisance – these strange, mini, half-size things that made it difficult to sleep. I would suggest a new supplier of normal sized pillows. We did not make use of the pool, so I have no comment on that.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jefferson, Maryland
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at this Comfort Suites as a stopover point between Maryland and Nashville.

Weary from a long drive down 81S, we easily found this property. The directions were very good on the website--look for the bank on the corner and take a turn. Couldn't be easier.

The lobby was clean and welcoming. The desk staff were ALL warm and welcoming--an example of Southern Hospitality at it's finest.

There were 3 luggage racks ready to go at the door. Check in was friendly and easy. The room was a double queen and it was fabulous! Plenty of space for two sisters with tons of luggage (yes for an overnight stay, you need 5 suitcases).

The television has lots of cable channels. Nice big flat screen t.v. with good sound. The mini fridge had a nice feature: soda-pop-can-sized holders in the door, thus freeing space for important other items inside the refrigerator.

The microwave was clean and in good working order.

The indoor pool and whirlpool (hot tub with jets) were clean and in good working order! How many times do you select a hotel because of the hot tub amenity, only to find out it is out of order? For me, many times. I selected this hotel because of that feature. After a long drive on the interstate a nice relaxing hot tub is just the ticket!

Coming back from Nashville I used my Choice Privileges points and got a wonderful 2 Queen Bed suite with full kitchen. It was the biggest suite I've been in. A great view over the rolling grazing mountains of VA.

Breakfast was good. Penny, the breakfast room attendant, kept everything well stocked and clean. She kept the tables clean, too. We had warm biscuits, eggs (omlette style and boiled), yogurt, blueberry waffle and regular, and fruit. All included in the room rate.

The hotel is a stones-throw distance from Homewood and to Main Street/down town Abingdon. There is a feed store/general store across the street which was fun to shop in.

We will return to Abingdon as a destination point and will stay here at the comfort Suites on Ole Berry Drive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Quality Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!