“great steaks!”
Review of The Tavern

The Tavern
Ranked #2 of 90 Restaurants in Abingdon
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Such a cute place with great atmosphere! The best steak me and my hubby has ever had. Would eat there again!

There are newer reviews for The Tavern

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Awesome food! The filet was so tender, I cut it with a fork. Delicious bread, steak, dessert, awesome service. A trip to The Tavern is a must when visiting Abingdon!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Excellent service. Awesome food. This is my second visit here. Had the duck entree last time. Looking forward to going back sometime soon. Usually eat here before I go to the Barter. I would definitely call ahead for reservations. I will try some other places in the area as well but I suspect this will be my favorite.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Well The Tavern is a unique experience. The building dates to the 18 century and is charmingly period maintained. Several dining room areas and a bar which was obviously popular as Monday night there were only a few places left to sit at the bar. We ate upstairs in a room with a half dozen tables warmed by a fireplace that although gas fired looked and felt good.

The waiter, Jamie, was charming and helpful and the menu although not extensive had something for everyone. My wife chose the New Zealand Lamb which was outstanding- we haven't had lamb as good since we were in Queenstown , New Zealand at the Barracks Restaurant- the marinade was light yet I deliciously enhancing as we don,t like to smother godd lamb
With sauces that smother the taste of the lamb itself. it came with a Mint Sauce not that synthetic mint jelly which is an abomination on a great cut had the Sushi Grade Ahi Tuna and it was every bit as good as I am used to in our seaside home.

The owner, Max, was a delight, a German expat who moved to the US in 1973 , joined the US AirForce and served 25 years before retiring and opening The Tavern. Max 's Tavern is rated #1 for a good reason- it is great- but it is not cheap! So save your pennies if you need to because you'll have to go far and wide to find food this good and a venue as unique!

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We have eaten at The Tavern on several occasions while traveling along Interstate 81. In fact, after stopping at a hotel for the night on a recent trip, we purposely sought out the restaurant despite having driven for about 7 hours earlier in the day.

The Tavern is in an 18th century building. The stone walls, logs holding up the 2nd floor (visible in the first floor dining room), the early American decor with wooden tables and a large fireplace add to the ambience.

We were the first visitors for the evening and when we walked into the dining room, the fireplace was blazing and lit up the room. It was still very cool as the fire had not yet taken the chill out of the air.

I ordered the peppercorn encrusted duck with the blueberry reduction and my dining companion had the scallops and pasta (one of the specials for the evening). We also had a malbec wine to accompany the meal.

The duck was excellent although I asked the waiter to have the blueberry reduction on the side. I had this dish in several restaurants and enjoy the taste of the duck and the blueberry always overwhelms the taste of the duck. A small amount of the reduction may not look as pretty but wanted to enjoy the highlight of the meal.

The scallops were also very tasty and well prepared but a little too salty for those who do not like too much salt in their diet.

The German dishes looked and sounded excellent as well but I have not tried them.

The wine list is fairly extensive and offers a good variety of prices either by the glass or the bottle.

Overall, it is an excellent experience with good food, expertly prepared in a unique, authentic atmosphere.