“Tuesday Date Night”
Review of The Tavern

The Tavern
Ranked #2 of 90 Restaurants in Abingdon
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Bristol, Virginia
“Tuesday Date Night”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have traveled and eaten at many different places. The Tavern is the best place yet. The specials are always excellant and prepared perfect. The regular menu has a variety of options to pick from. The salads are always fresh and the salad dressings are made in house, all are good. The wine selection is excellant. Most of all the service is most excellant. Everyone makes you feel welcome. You do have to keep in mind this is an old historical building and it has a lot of history, just ask anyone when you go in. Max or Paul will tell you all about the history of the building - very interesting.

Northern VA
“Yes & No”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I'll start with the good. Cordial greeter & staff made for a nice night. Love the warm & friendly atmosphere, The Tavern is a cozy & inviting place. I had the crab cakes...so good. My friend had the scallops in Parmesan sauce. She, too, loved them & was so filling she was unable to eat all 6, needing a doggie bag to take home the rest. Our husbands had the NY strip..both good but 1 was a little tough just on the end. Unfortunately, my husband was counting on Prime Rib, since it's only featured on Fri & Sat nights. BUT, the prime rib is seasoned w/rosemary-something he's highly allergic to. Can't understand why a good piece of beef can't be served & enjoyed in its simplest form; free of herbs & sauces. But, my biggest complaint would be how condiments are served. The entrees average in the mid-$30's; something that you would normally expect for a restaurant of this caliber. However, butter is served in small bowl, wrapped in foil & sour cream is served in individual plastic peel top containers. I can get this at any fast-food place, but expect more than this when I'm spending this much for dinner.

Church Hill, Tennessee
“Excellent that they did'nt put me in jail.”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had a date night at The Tavern, my first time there, first date also, and it all went wrong. I had not eaten ALL day and first thing was have a glass of wine. Before our food came I had another. I stood up to use the restroom and fell, the floors are uneven, it is a old lodge type building, and knocked the table over and all the dishes. My ankel turned on the uneven floor along with my head rush aI went down hard. Embarressed to death I ask to leave, leaving my purse behind. OMG what a horrid first date. Just eat before drinks maybe :)

Matthews
“Good dinner!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We enjoyed our very much but we both would have been more comfortable if the waiter had kept his hands off of my husband's shoulder!

Asheville
“The tavern, Abingdon”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Absolutely Outstanding- great menu, great wines and beers- and the best German dishes I've ever had in the states. A must visit...

• Visited October 2012