“Cordial, helpful, even technologically aware”

Historical Society of Washington County, VA
Ranked #12 of 25 things to do in Abingdon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Historical Society of Washington County is the place to begin your genealogy research. If your ancestors came through here, we probably have some information on them in our digital archives of over 100,000 images and records.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed May 4, 2013

While I had no family here, they were perfectly content for me to sit there and use their wifi for a couple of hours and didn't even seem to mind that I was mostly on Pinterest and Facebook instead of something serious. I did look the organization up on Facebook, found their group and asked to join. The president accepted my application almost immediately and when I told her I was at the society right then, she said "Hold on, I'll be right over." It was great to get that kind of welcome and have it come via Facebook.

They were a huge help to my wife who was seeking ancestors who had lived in the area, and she came up with not one but two. They also were interested enough to ascertain that her ancestor was the owner of the muster field that the troops from there that fought at the battle of Kings Mountain assembled and gave us instructions to find the place and told us what to look for.

If you've do genealogy and you've got ancestors who went through the Cumberland Gap, you'll probably end up here sooner or later. Expect a warm -- and helpful -- welcome!!

1  Thank BetweentheLakes