“Great Ambience”
Review of Babycakes Cupcakery - CLOSED

Babycakes Cupcakery
Cuisines: American
Description: Have breakfast and lunch menu plus cupcakes.
Description: Have breakfast and lunch menu plus cupcakes.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We loved the location of this deli. They have a nice lunch menu. The food was good and portions were plentiful.

The wait staff were kind and considerate.

The view from the large front window is pure old-time Abingdon.

The cupcakes were rather ordinary. Same quality as less expensive supermarket variety. But enjoying a fresh cup of coffee and cupcake in this setting adds to the flavor of the whole experience.

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We went to the farmers market on Saturday and was looking for some breakfast. Baby cakes was open. We had gravy and biscuits and pancakes. Both was yummy.

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Found this little place through trip advisor & wanted to check it out ourselves. We was there with only one more group of two women. Told waitress first visit & she was very helpful with menu. Food was perfect - didn't mind the wait for the food is truly made fresh. A good change from fast foods & the atmosphere is perfect! Loved the music, signs & much more! I will want to make this a girls place to eat if visiting Barter or bargain hunting on Main Street. Added pictures as well :-)

1  Thank viccobu
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I recently took a little mountain weekend getaway... and although a play at the fabled Barter Theater was the planned highlight, our pre-trip chatter was often swirling around checking this neat little eatery out again (this time for lunch).

There was a light rain coming down as we popped in, well before the curtain, and there were only a couple of folks inside eating. We weren't as hungry as we thought we'd be (breakfast at Heartwood)... but we decided on a couple of Hawaiian Hotdogs with homemade chips -- and I went ahead and paid for 2 cupcakes (Salted Caramel and Reeses Cup). We ordered and paid at the cash register, and sat down in a nice little side booth.

But then the young girl who took our order kind of disappeared... and a slow but steady flow of customers began to trickle in as noon drew near. My wife and I noticed that everybody else was getting their drinks - but us. Then, we realized that everybody who had come in after us started getting their food - but we didn't. After 30+ minutes of be patient and making small talk - I decided that had to get up and go find someone to ask about our order.

The staff was very apologetic --- and we found out that the young girl who took our order had laid it down somewhere - and then took off for cheerleading practice! Wow... If I hadn't of asked, we weren't going to get our food.

Now this sounds like I am ripping this little establishment... but you know what? We were in a good mood, the staff was very apologetic, and once they grasped the situation, they jumped on our order. Yes we waited a total of about an hour for our food - but it was predictably delicious. The dogs and chips were great - and the cupcakes were simply amazing - even better than we remembered them to be.

So... even though they had a hiccup with the order-to-cook exchange (and waitress communication)... and even though the other waitresses didn't notice our long wait with no drink or food... our spirits were not dampened. We realized that it was just a drizzly Saturday morning error --- those things happen sometimes... and besides, the high quality of food (and awesome cupcakes) more than made up for it.

So: thumbs up. We love this little place - and we will certainly be back - and we still highly recommend it. It is cozy, neat, and different - we love it.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We found Baby Cakes for Saturday breakfast across the street from the Abingdon Historical Society/Train Depot after a morning walk along the train track walkway. Great and tasty breakfast sandwiches. We had a nice chat with the friendly owner who had a very engaged staff. They standard flavors of cupcakes ready first thing in the morning (we bought a half dozen), and were they ever good. Very moist cake with just the right amount of frosting. "Almond Joy" is a great flavor, and I'm having my 2nd "chocolate ganache" tonight. Would be a great place to go after a day biking on the Virginia Creeper, and/or a very worthwhile diversion/pit-stop along US11 in Abingdon when driving north or south on I-81.