“First visit but not the last!”

Babycakes Cupcakery
Ranked #3 of 6 Dessert in Abingdon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: Have breakfast and lunch menu plus cupcakes.
“First visit but not the last!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Found this little place through trip advisor & wanted to check it out ourselves. We was there with only one more group of two women. Told waitress first visit & she was very helpful with menu. Food was perfect - didn't mind the wait for the food is truly made fresh. A good change from fast foods & the atmosphere is perfect! Loved the music, signs & much more! I will want to make this a girls place to eat if visiting Barter or bargain hunting on Main Street. Added pictures as well :-)

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank viccobu

Burlington, NC
“Re-visit was troubling... but still awesome”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I recently took a little mountain weekend getaway... and although a play at the fabled Barter Theater was the planned highlight, our pre-trip chatter was often swirling around checking this neat little eatery out again (this time for lunch).

There was a light rain coming down as we popped in, well before the curtain, and there were only a couple of folks inside eating. We weren't as hungry as we thought we'd be (breakfast at Heartwood)... but we decided on a couple of Hawaiian Hotdogs with homemade chips -- and I went ahead and paid for 2 cupcakes (Salted Caramel and Reeses Cup). We ordered and paid at the cash register, and sat down in a nice little side booth.

But then the young girl who took our order kind of disappeared... and a slow but steady flow of customers began to trickle in as noon drew near. My wife and I noticed that everybody else was getting their drinks - but us. Then, we realized that everybody who had come in after us started getting their food - but we didn't. After 30+ minutes of be patient and making small talk - I decided that had to get up and go find someone to ask about our order.

The staff was very apologetic --- and we found out that the young girl who took our order had laid it down somewhere - and then took off for cheerleading practice! Wow... If I hadn't of asked, we weren't going to get our food.

Now this sounds like I am ripping this little establishment... but you know what? We were in a good mood, the staff was very apologetic, and once they grasped the situation, they jumped on our order. Yes we waited a total of about an hour for our food - but it was predictably delicious. The dogs and chips were great - and the cupcakes were simply amazing - even better than we remembered them to be.

So... even though they had a hiccup with the order-to-cook exchange (and waitress communication)... and even though the other waitresses didn't notice our long wait with no drink or food... our spirits were not dampened. We realized that it was just a drizzly Saturday morning error --- those things happen sometimes... and besides, the high quality of food (and awesome cupcakes) more than made up for it.

So: thumbs up. We love this little place - and we will certainly be back - and we still highly recommend it. It is cozy, neat, and different - we love it.

• Visited March 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Awesome cupcakes/enjoyable breakfast”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We found Baby Cakes for Saturday breakfast across the street from the Abingdon Historical Society/Train Depot after a morning walk along the train track walkway. Great and tasty breakfast sandwiches. We had a nice chat with the friendly owner who had a very engaged staff. They standard flavors of cupcakes ready first thing in the morning (we bought a half dozen), and were they ever good. Very moist cake with just the right amount of frosting. "Almond Joy" is a great flavor, and I'm having my 2nd "chocolate ganache" tonight. Would be a great place to go after a day biking on the Virginia Creeper, and/or a very worthwhile diversion/pit-stop along US11 in Abingdon when driving north or south on I-81.

• Visited April 2013
Burlington, NC
“Quite a find... delicious - can't wait to re-visit”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My family stopped in Baby Cakes Cupcakery seven months ago (August '12). We were in town for the Virginia Highlands Festival - and decided to grab a snack at the old "Starving Artist" cafe... but discovered that it was gone - and Baby Cakes was in its place.

I must say that we were a little taken back --- as we'd frequented the old eatery several times over the years, but... to our surprise, we found that we REALLY liked this new little place.

We just got cupcakes & coffee (and we sampled several: Almond Joy, Red Velvet, and my favorite - Chocolate Ganache). I don't mind saying it, we were simply giddy over our snack break, as we had a lot of fun sampling. We also looked over the food menu (Monte Cristo, Gourmet Burger, classic Reuben, etc.) and vowed to return for lunch someday soon.

Well... that someday soon is this coming weekend - as my wife and I are sneaking out -of-town for a weekend getaway. Baby Cakes Cupcakery is on our docket - for a nice relaxing lunch (and a cupcake) before catching a play at the fabled Barter Theater. Can't wait...

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Ed M
Bristol, Virginia
“Great place for soup and dessert”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

They have some of the tastiest soups around! Great selection of sandwiches and other options. And what better way to finish off you meal than with a cupcake. So many flavors and options to chose from . Sure to please all the palates!

Visited March 2013