WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Barter Theatre

Barter Theatre
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Abingdon
More attraction details
Owner description: Located 3 miles from I-81, exit 17 in the heart of Abingdon, Virginia. Founded in 1933, Barter Theatre offers professional, repertory theatre, 17-19 productions per year, and two unique stages: Barter Main Stage and Barter Stage II. Recognized as the premiere theatre in the region, Barter launched the careers of such notable actors as Gregory Peck, Patricia Neal and Ernest Borgnine. Enjoy classics, comedies, dramas and Broadway musicals. Group rates and packages with fine Abingdon restaurants and lodging available. Stop in The Barter Café and gift shop. Open Feb. – Dec. Call or go on-line for performance schedule.
San Diego, California
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“Nice theater with wonderful shows”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Very historic theater....the shows are always wonderful...seating is good no matter what seat you are in....very cozy atmosphere....a must do if visiting Abingdon, Va.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank M G

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“I could not hear the punch line”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

I've driven by the Barter Theater for decades and heard good things. A friend and I made the two hour trip. We got a good deal on the tickets as this was a week day afternoon performance. We sat 7 rows back at floor level. I'm tall and the seats were very un-comfortable and the leg room was lacking. I'm about 6'1" . I'm in my mid 60's and the average age of the audience was older that we. Very few young people. I have some hearing loss but not enough for me to wear a device at least yet. All the actors were female save one. I could hear and understand the male. The females, I could not understand several words which caused me to miss the punch line. I know they have remote microphone capability as I've spoken to people who were there when they were used. I do not know why they did not use microphones that day as the audience was a bunch of old geezers and geezeretes like us and I feel pretty sure many of them did not hear well either. The acoustics are poor in the theater. The is another one of those things to do once, but I will not go back.

Visited June 2014
Callaway, Virginia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Welcome Back to Ivy Gap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

The play was outstanding. The players were excellent especially in their timing as they delivered their lines. The theatre was full, and the audience was fully involved. Anyone involved with a well established church in the rural South will identify with what they see. It is nothing short of a wonderful experience.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“First Visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stage II is a cozy venue, and the actors are great!! Each seat offers a great view, and there is a cafe right on the premises.

Emerald Isle, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great Little Theatre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

We went to see the afternoon performance of "Welcome Back to Ivy Gap" and it was a great show. Just being in the town and theatre is a wonderful experience. We stayed at the Inn across the street and this was a great three day getaway.