“I Love the Barter”
Review of Barter Theatre

Barter Theatre
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Abingdon
More attraction details
Owner description: Located 3 miles from I-81, exit 17 in the heart of Abingdon, Virginia. Founded in 1933, Barter Theatre offers professional, repertory theatre, 17-19 productions per year, and two unique stages: Barter Main Stage and Barter Stage II. Recognized as the premiere theatre in the region, Barter launched the careers of such notable actors as Gregory Peck, Patricia Neal and Ernest Borgnine. Enjoy classics, comedies, dramas and Broadway musicals. Group rates and packages with fine Abingdon restaurants and lodging available. Stop in The Barter Café and gift shop. Open Feb. – Dec. Call or go on-line for performance schedule.
Abingdon, Virginia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“I Love the Barter”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

There is nothing more fun to do in Abingdon than a trip to the Barter. I've seen several shows over the last few years and none have ever disappointed me. The cast is wonderful and the history behind the theater is even more satisfying. They still offer barter nights where you can exchange canned food for tickets and this past summer they did $10 Tuesdays so that everyone has an opportunity to experience the theater.

Visited May 2013

Burlington, NC
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 183 helpful votes
“Barter is a great venue for music too! Who knew?”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

January 17, 2014 found my wife and I in the balcony of the gorgeous iconic Barter Theater - not to see a play, but to catch a "January Jams" Bluegrass concert... with John Cowen and Mountain Heart.

We loved the seats, the sight lines, the sound system, the staff friendliness, and the intimacy of the venue. The old Barter still has it - who knew? If you encounter an opportunity to catch a music concert there - do not hesitate... it is wonderful.

Visited January 2014
Boone, North Carolina
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“"Always Enjoyable"”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I have been to the Barter Theatre several times and I thought it was time to give them a good review since I am somewhat new to TripAdvisor. The staff at the Barter Theatre are always nice and the shows are always good. The actors are outstanding. I could see some of them advancing their careers. They really are that good!

Visited December 2013
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Going to the play”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was my first time to see a play(other than my son's high school plays) in Many a year! We chose to see "Kiss Me Kate" & it was Excellent! The singing, acting & costume changes were Tops! We would Highly recommend this place to anyone. Hope to come back to Abingdon again in 2014.

Visited October 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Okay play.”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I saw Alice in Wonderland here and was not very impressed. Although the interacting with the crowd was a fun touch it wasn't really for me, I was expecting something a bit more serious but instead was met with something much more child friendly.

Visited February 2013