“Enjoy the Barter Theater!”
Review of Barter Theatre

Barter Theatre
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Abingdon
More attraction details
Owner description: Located 3 miles from I-81, exit 17 in the heart of Abingdon, Virginia. Founded in 1933, Barter Theatre offers professional, repertory theatre, 17-19 productions per year, and two unique stages: Barter Main Stage and Barter Stage II. Recognized as the premiere theatre in the region, Barter launched the careers of such notable actors as Gregory Peck, Patricia Neal and Ernest Borgnine. Enjoy classics, comedies, dramas and Broadway musicals. Group rates and packages with fine Abingdon restaurants and lodging available. Stop in The Barter Café and gift shop. Open Feb. – Dec. Call or go on-line for performance schedule.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We saw the play "October, Before I Was Born" and thought it was very well done. The theater is always welcoming, offers good snacks, and has very clean bathrooms.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Saw "October, Before I Was Born" in the original theater. Our first visit & what an experience. Great production, carried on by only 3 cast members for a solid 90mins. A gamut of emotions are involved in this play, & even the ending is stirring. So well acted, I hated to see it end. Loved the history of the theater & the surroundings were magnificent.
The next evening we saw "Zombie Prom" at Barter II. Cute & funny musical, but the seating isn't as comfortable as Barter Main. All seats are good here, but don't think I'd like front row seats for a show here. Really wouldn't like being face-to-face with the actors, unless the audience is a part of the play. I would definitely recommend both places & judge for yourself.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Terrific play! Felt as though I was there with the characters! Very moving and well casted..........

Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was my second visit to Abington, VA and to the Barter Theatre. I loved both plays! This one was so much fun and all the actors were excellent (including the children)! All ages would enjoy the play!! I can't wait to plan another visit soon. Nice gift shop also.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Great performance by all actors. Wonderful entertainment for the family. Check their website for schedules.