“memorial day weekend”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Abingdon
Zebulon, North Carolina
“memorial day weekend”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

beds great along with ac but shower below par and excellent breakfast

Room Tip: ac great along with breakfast however we had suite that seem small for a suite and the water pressu...
1 Thank dalton4unc
VA293, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review and would like to apologize about the shower pressure. We have fixed the problem with the shower pressure and implemented a new shower program. Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Williamsburg, VA
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is an award-winner by the parent Choice Hotels, and we sort of have to wonder why because it seemed to us that this is a very average hotel. It is clean, which is important, and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. The room itself was pretty standard --- nothing special, but not outstanding. The bed was fine, as were the pillows, and the lighting was fine. Shelf space for luggage was limited. The bathroom was small with limited shelf space, and the shower was pretty wimpy. There were four sets of towels, however, and they were fine. The common room was very nice, and the breakfast was better than average --- a nice varied selection of breakfast foods. The two negatives we observed were that the cushions on the hide-a-bed sofa in the room were in very poor (crushed/saggy) condition, and the side entrance to the hotel did not lock --- which is a major security issue in our opinion. The hotel is located just off the Interstate and the entrance off Main Street is easily confused with that of the neighboring Holiday Inn Express, especially the parking areas. Value-wise, this hotel at $97 Senior rates is not particularly cheap, but is inexpensive relative to the other chain hotels in the area.

Room Tip: A higher-numbered room X15 or higher puts you at the back of the hotel, away from the street.
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review. I understand that our room was just “average” in your opinion. We have won the Platinum Award for multiple years. Our rooms may not be “luxurious.” I believe you were expecting something more equivalent to the Plaza Hotel in New York, but we are simply a Quality Inn & Suites. We do the best we can according to Choice Hotel guidelines. We have upgraded our shower pressure. We are also in the process of changing our sofa beds. The lock on the side entrance is something we have been looking into as well. We do have a sign right next to our hotel which is lit and visible. I’m sorry for the confusion. Thank you for your review.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 8, 2012

The hotel room was clean and quiet. I am very sensitive to noise and travel with a white noise machine and earplugs. I didn't need either. Inside the room, we didn't hear the sounds of other travelers like voices in the hall, slamming doors or cars in the parking lot. When I opened the door I could hear all the noise from the breakfast room and front desk, but when the door was closed it sounded like I had the hotel to myself.

I was traveling with my mother (in her mid-70's). She said she slept better at the Quality Inn in Abingdon, Virginia than she did in her own bed.

Room Tip: We were told the rooms in the 1st floor near the swimming pool were the quietest. We stayed on the 1...
1 Thank halfCourt
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review. I have to agree our hotel is much quieter than other hotels. The hotel was designed as block frame building rather than wood framed building, which helps to reduce noise throughout the hotel. I am so glad your mother slept as well as she did. It is always nice to hear personal guest comments. Thank you for taking the time for your review, and please visit us again.

Indian Trail, NC
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The Quality Inn & Suites is ideally located as you are coming into Abingdon and is near good restaurants, shopping, and The Barter Theatre. Was so convenient to what we wanted to do. Room was super clean and the young man at the front desk was very helpful. The free breakfast was very good - had hot and cold foods to choose from. Rate was very good - we have the Choice Rewards Program Membership and that always comes in handy. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barb_PIndianTrail_NC
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing our facility. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we are always open to suggestions as well. Hope to see you again in the near future. Also, we would like to say thank you for your review.

Washington, dc
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I was passing through the area from Virginia to NC. I needed a place to stay overnight. Not something too cheap and not something too expensive. This was perfect. The lobby is well decorated and the room was clean. What more could I ask for?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank guest a
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We really do appreciate you for taking the time for to write the review. Our lobby is very spacious and well decorated. We do take great pride in making sure all our rooms are extremely clean. That is very important to us. Hopefully, we will be seeing you again. Thank you.

philadelphia area
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Right off I-81, this hotel fit the bill for location and having rooms big enough for my family of 6.
Check-in took only seconds. Our room was clean and a crib was waiting for us when we arrived. So often, I order a crib and then have to call again when we get there so that's one less thing to wait for with 4 little kids.
The beds were comfortable but the sofa bed was worn in one corner. If you sat on the end, you'd fall through!
The free breakfast had many choices, both hot and cold. I never saw them run out of anything so the help was good at keeping an eye out and refilling plates. My only complaint (and this seems true for most hotels) is that there were never enough tables for the number of guests. Most tables only fit two but we did manage to squeeze six of us at a 4-top. But I'd say that there was enough table seating for 16 and then a few huge chairs. The breakfast attendant did find me a booster and a high chair without me asking and she was very helpful and friendly.
This seemed like a hotel popular with traveling sports teams. We saw two groups while we were there but they were the most reasonable groups of teenagers. We've actually checked out of hotels because the kids were so badly behaved and the chaperones so dopey but these groups were nearly silent without a chaperone in sight!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank elawson
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Quality Inn & Suites in Abingdon, VA. We appreciate your review. I am glad our rooms were large enough for you party of six. I am also glad the crib was already placed in your room. If we are told in advance we will get the crib or even a rollaway in your room ahead of time. I agree that our sofa beds are below par and we are in the process of replacing them. It is really difficult for us to get more tables in our breakfast area. We are also thinking of replacing some of our furnishings to get more tables in; however, it is very difficult when we do have a full house to squeeze most of our guests in the lobby. Thank you for your suggestions. We do really appreciate your suggestions to make your stay better. I also agree with your thoughts on traveling sport teams and groups. It can be a difficult task to control a group without proper chaperones, but we do try our best to inform all of our groups that there are other guests in the facility. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and do hope to see you again. Thank you for take the time for your review.

Gaithersburg
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here during our first visit to Bristol for the spring race. I originally made the reservation because they were the only hotel not charging $300 a night for that weekend. Do understand that this WAS race weekend so the rates were pretty high but I was pleasantly surprised at the high quality. The front of the building is really nice and the grounds are well kept. They are in the same parking lot as the Holiday Inn Express, and there is a Wendy's and a Huddle House within walking distance. It's right off the highway so it's easy to see. The front desk guy was great- very friendly and efficient! (Sorry I don't remember his name right now) The lobby was very welcoming- there is a decent size flat screen TV and coffee and fruit laid out.

We arrived pretty late at night after a long road trip and I was exhausted so I just wanted to get to the room, take a shower, and get ready for the next day. There is a fridge and microwave in the room, as well as a coffee maker so we had somewhere to keep our beer cold! If we are only staying in a hotel for 1 or 2 nights we don't usually ask for maid service but they did leave a note on the door telling us that if we needed anything (towels, etc.) to come to the desk and ask for them. The room was clean but I did notice a little bit of water damage on the wallpaper- no big deal (and I am usually pretty picky). The bed was HUGE and super comfy! The pillows could have been a bit bigger and firmer though.

Breakfast was better than continental. They had eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and sausage gravy, and waffles. There was also cereal and the usual continental breakfast fare. It was good and saved us money since we didn't have to eat out.

Overall it was a great visit and I liked it so much I decided to stay there on my next trip. It will be a little sooner than I thought...if you are coming from MD down 81, be VERY CAREFUL of your speed. Got busted about 3 miles from the exit for the hotel...be aware that anything over 80 is considered reckless driving and they WILL pull you over and give you a summons to appear in court!

Room Tip: There are some rooms that have french doors between the sleep sofa and the beds so if you have kids...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank margaritachick1
Dear Guest,

I would first like to apologize for your speeding ticket. No one wants to be pulled over. But, I would also like to thank you for your review. Race weekend can be a little hectic at times, but we do try to make your stay with us pleasant. Our breakfast does have more than the usual items that other chains offer. We do have microwaves and fridges in all our rooms and most of our guests do like the option of having those appliances. Our pillows are purchased according to Choice Hotel guidelines, but we may even change those at some point. We love hearing suggestions from our guests. Thank you for your review and glad you chose our facility. Hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Comfort Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#9 of 9 in Abingdon
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!