“Going to hear Bluegrass”

Heartwood: Southwest Virginia's Artisan Gateway
Ranked #1 of 14 Shopping in Abingdon
More attraction details
Owner description: Conveniently located off of Exit 14 on Interstate 81, Heartwood is a must-see destination for those who cherish traditional music, original crafts, and regional cuisine. The 30,000 square food facility features crafts, music, food, coffee, and wine from the 19 county, 4 city 'Round the Mountain region of Southwest Virginia, juried under the strictest quality standards to ensure the "best of the best" are represented.Our performance area features live music strummed and sung by famous and soon to be famous area musicians. You'll find a large collection of traditional American music and handmade instruments crafted by master artisans in our Crooked Road Store. Unique memorabilia is also available for fans of all ages. Heartwood's four galleries entice visitors with jewelry, pottery, quilts, and hand turned creations from regional artisans. The food at Heartwood represents the best of Southwest Virginia's artisan farms and traditional fresh from scratch recipes. Heartwood chefs use regionally grown food whenever possible and our dishes reflect time honored Suothwest Virginia recipes. Visit our wine and coffee bar for the best Southwest Virginia roasted coffees and award winning regional wines. In addition our expansive daily menu, Heartwood offers a Thursday night barbeque menu from 6 to 9 p.m. with live music (open jam, youth music performances, or regional venue showcases) during part of that time, a Friday Night Virginia Coast Fresh Seafood Buffet from 6 to 9 p.m., and a Farm Fresh Sunday Gospel Brunch from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.Heartwood is also available for weddings and other special events, during or after regular business hours. Located in picturesque Abingdon, Va., Heartwood is a convenient, unequaled stop for shopping and dining. Heartwood is open seven days a week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Sunday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Going to hear Bluegrass”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We had heard quite a bit about Heartwood - my wife read up on it & we decided to go on Thursday night, because that is when they have the Bluegrass music. The building was designed Very good & the arts & other things they had were Tops! In Definitely fits in with the Crooked Road. My only suggestion would be to drop a microphone from the ceiling(which would be plugged into some kind of small P. A. system) so we could hear the vocalists better.
The only problem I had - bought a crooked road cap(without trying it on first) & did NOT fit right at all, so I had to return it. I got a 12" x 18" Crooked Road poster & have it framed & hanging in our computer/music festival room. Do NOT miss this place if you go to Abingdon!

Ottawa, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“WHAT A GREAT NEW ADDITION TO THE CROOKED ROAD”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Heartwood turned out to be a superb choice to gain more exposure to the Crooked Road Music Trail. The artwork, musical products & books for sale were all excellent & provided the visitor with a wealth of information about the Road. It has been open only since 2011 but it is capable of providing the information that visitors need in order to appreciate the richness of "bluegrass culture".
One night a week a bluegrass/mountain music jam session is held in the restaurant area. Very informal. The musicians are great ambassadors of their music & culture & we thoroughly enjoyed listening to & interacting with them. Highly recommended for anyone in the area.

Visited November 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A beautiful stop along I81 in Abington”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I confess, I am a sucker for all things crafted. I love hand woven, spun, knitted, turned, carved, thrown, hand built, cut, fused, you name it. This is a great stop along the interstate for a rest that will feed your soul with beautiful crafts. Whether you are staying in Abington and want info on the music scene in the area or you are just passing through on the highway, this is a Must See. The bathrooms are clean and the food looked interesting. If I wasn't in such an hurry I would have eaten there too. I will be burning up I81 going to visit my grand kids and I will plan the trip to make a stop here each time to see what has been added and pick up a little something to support local craftsmen.

Bristol, Tennessee
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Gorgeous”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Heartwood is just off I-81 and easy to get to. If you love beautiful artwork, handcrafted pottery, instruments, jewelry etc. be sure to put this on your list of things to see when in the Bristol/Abingdon area. The building alone is a beautiful piece of artistry. Heartwood also has a café and wine tasting and if you are lucky you may get to hear some wonderful local musicians. All American and all local !!

1 Thank Lynne H
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“small but some great local art”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

It looks much larger from the outside and online, but regardless, there is some great local art for sale from a variety of artists and at a reasonable price. It's worth a visit if you are an art person!

Visited September 2013