“Nice atmosphere...service needs work”
Review of Tuscan Italian Grill - CLOSED

Tuscan Italian Grill
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We Have relocated our restaurant from MARION & Abingdon VA to AltaVista VA.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I've eaten here several times and the food is excellent. However, they are a little deficient in the service area. You can go long periods without anyone taking your order or checking on you. If they can improve their service, this restaurant would be top-notch.

1  Thank Cy V

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I were so excited to try this restaurant in Abingdon. So looking forward to great Italian food. We were greeted when we came in by a very nice lady who seated us at a table and gave us menus and told Randy would be with us in a moment. This was at 7:05pm. We looked at the menu, everything looked so good. We made up our minds and was ready to order. The problem was there no waiter/waitress that ever came to our table. Even the waitresses who had tables near ours didn't even ask us if we had been waited on. Trust me, I know they saw us. They looked right at us. So, at 7:35pm my husband and I got up and left. No worker in sight to even notice we were leaving. Maybe one day we will try it again, because again the food looked wonderful. Just hope they get better servers. And I had to rate the food terrible because we never got to try it!!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

No one came to the front to seat me for quite a long time. After being seated, no one came by to take my order again for a LONG time. Finally, a guy apologized and offered to take my drink order. I asked to provide my meal request as well and he accommodated.

I ordered French onion soup and New York steak special of the day. Almost an hour later, the soup arrived. After one bite of soup, the meal arrived. I asked for it to be kept warm for a few minutes so I could eat my soup. I ate quickly, fully expecting the meal to get cold quickly. The waiter offered to take it back if it was cold, however, he never checked on me again, not even to refill my soda. That means one hour and twenty minutes with no refills. And yes, the meat was cold. Did he care? No.

When he finally came back because he thought I left when I went to the restroom, he offered to reduce the meal price, but would have to ask for permission. I was afraid I wouldn't see him again, so offered to pay the full price so I could leave.

I just wanted the experience to be over.

Good food is not worth the price I had to pay for being overlooked and uncared for.

A clue should have been the sign on the door advertising for "experienced full time and part time wait staff". Apparently, experienced staff weren't working tonight!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just wanted to get a quick pizza and found the Tuscan hidden off the main road to the interstate. Our waitress was friendly and provided great service. We had a really good Greek pizza and were surprised at the low price. We looked at other's meals around us and the servings for their italian dishes were large. We highly recommend the Tuscan for good food at a great, affordable price.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I wasn't sure where to go for diner or exactly what I was in the mood for. This is where I landed. Never been here before so I was open minded. I was seated immediately and offered drinks and appetizers. Water only for me! But told the waitress this was my first time here and to make a suggestion. She recommended to Douby's and said It was a favorite of many customers. I ordered them and she said I would not be disappointed. I wasn't, they were very good. Too many for one person to eat! For my main Dish I ordered the Blackened Chicken Pasta, another recommendation. It was also very good. The portion of chicken could have been slightly larger in comparison to the large dish of pasta it was served on, but there was nothing wrong with the taste. It did seem to take a lengthy amount of time for the food to come to the table, from the time it was ordered, considering there wasn't a huge number of patrons in the restaurant. I was not in a hurry so it was not an issue. I would probably return if back in Abingdon.