Super 8 Abingdon VA
Comfort Suites(Abingdon)
Comfort Inn(Abingdon)
Alpine Motel(Abingdon)
  • Pool
All reviewshuge suiteroom was cleanfood citybreakfast selectionrecent staywafflesbiscuits and gravyclose to downtowndesk clerkwaffle makergreat roomnight's sleeppleasant stayvirginia creeperkmarthandicappedupgrades
Reviewed July 30, 2006

The only excellent thing about this Super 8 is the price - we paid a mere $60 for our one night. Not having stayed at a Super 8 in years, I'm not sure how this one compares to others. Suffice it to say that our quarters on the lowest floor were not very clean, the air conditioning unit took half the night to pump out cool air, and then the room had a sticky sweet smell reminiscent of urine. Plus my husband had to kill a cricket in the room. The bed was not comfortable, and the whole place is in need of renovation. The breakfast was a bit disappointing...very hard biscuits with some gluey looking gravy, an array of sugary cereals and weak coffee.

Good points about this Super 8, other than the price, of course, were the friendly and accomodating staff (although they must smoke, as my nose detected cigarette smoke in the lobby), and a good-sized refridgerator and microwave in our room, which made storing our one-year-old's food easy. If you can find as cheap a place to stay in Abindon, which is a very charming town, I would recommend something other than this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank southern_dane
Reviewed March 13, 2006

I stayed here because it was close to Barter Theatre and they had a good package deal. Me and my wife enjoyed our stay here. We loved the sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast. Staff was very knowledgeable about the area, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We will stay here again when we go see another play.

• Stayed: February 2006
Reviewed June 11, 2005

There's no way I could rate this any higher than a terrible. However, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Having said that, here's my review.

Overall it's ok but after you read this review you may really want to reconsider before staying here. I think the big problem is the current management. First of all there was no lock on the window. Even though I was on the second floor and there's no ledge outside you still cannot lock the window unless of course you have a stick to put in the sliding window's track. There is a safe in the room which I thought was pretty neat because the bunch that hangs around there in the lobby and outside the front entrance really makes you wonder. Hey! they're the employees !!!
I don't know how many times I had to have them re-magnetize my card key. At last count it was three. For some reason the card key just wouldn't work and they had to redo it several times at the front desk. Luckily there's someone at the front desk most of the time. Everybody that works there smokes. So having a non-smoking room really doesn't matter because someone in the lobby or at the entrance will be smoking 24 hours a day and it carries all through the hallways. When we checked in we had to have the trash empied and someone vacuum the room before we moved in. There were clipped toenails in the carpet and used Q-tips in the trash.
That's not all. Even though you may have reserved your room on Orbitz they will have you sign a charge card receipt to send Orbiz to get their money, (so they told me). I paid $214 for three nights on my Orbitz Online reciept and the reciept they had me sign at checkout was $115. I still haven't straightened this one out but something definately sounds fishy to me. It looks like I'm going to spend a total of $329 to stay three nights in this place.

I would AVOID !!!

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2005

Hotel was clever. I think they converted a large room that opened directly to the outside (no hallway) into a handicapped-accessible hotel room. Room and bathroom were very large to allow for movement of a wheelchair. Housekeeping staff were very friendly. Office staff were just ok. Minimal breakfast items, only lasted until 9:00a.

Hotel is very convenientlyy located among fast food restaurants and a strip mall containing a grocery store and K-Mart. Just in case someone actually wants to walk somewhere.

In total. I think you get what you pay for. For the low price, this hotel runs just about average for this location

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank nomaid
Boerne, TX
Reviewed August 9, 2004

We found this hotel to be very clean, and given the price, to be nicely appointed. It has a great location - just off the highway, with three or four fast food restaurants and a K-Mart and a grocery store right next door. Very convenient! The staff was also quite friendly as well. At slightly over $50 a night, I would not hesitate to stay there again, or to recommend it to friends.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member