“Will stay there again”

Victoria and Albert Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
Victoria and Albert Inn
Ranked #13 of 16 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This was our first stay at the Inn ;while we have been to Abingdon many times. Read some of the Trip Advisor reviews befor going on our trip. Some of the negative reviews made me wonder what I might be getting into. Now having spent the night there and totally enjoying the visit, I wonder from where the negatives come from. Our hosts, the room and breakfast were great. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 6, 2009

I have never stayed in a B&B with a Trip Advisor rating lower than "very good" so I was reluctant to make reservations at the Victoria and Albert which was rated 11th out of 12 B&B's in Abingdon. However, because I wanted to stay within walking distance of the town and because I had a gift certificate which the Victoria and Albert accepts (not all B&B's do) I went ahead and booked the Gold Room for 3 nights.
Because it rained the entire time we were in Abingdon, we spent more time than I had anticipated in the B&B curled up with our books.
We found the house to be lovely, situated on a quiet street and yet close to the Barter Theatre where we attended a play, and several restaurants and antique stores.
Our room on the third floor was charming, well maintained and kept clean at all times. It had a good sized bathroom with a whirlpool, good lighting and came equipped with a makeup mirror and terry bathrobes.
The inn keepers, Richard and Hazel were cordial, friendly and hospitable. The breakfasts, consisting of 3 courses, were delicious. Richard did the serving and Hazel the cooking and once the breakfast was served Hazel made a point of coming out of the kitchen to chat with her guests.
I would definitely feel comfortable recommending the Victoria and Albert to friends and I hope it advances up and out of its 11th place ranking!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2009

We just returned from a most disappointing stay at this inn. We choose to stay at B&B's to support small business & because, generally, they provide a welcoming, homey atmosphere. Not the case here. We were met by Richard who showed us the basics of the inn. As it was a beautiful afternoon; we decided to enjoy the 2nd floor porch. The cushions had long since seen better days. Those that were not literally spilling there fillings, were filthy. We retreated to the front porch where the cushions had long since lost there "cush" and the glass table was dirty, but we could at least enjoy what was left of the afternoon in relative comfort. I understand that it is early April, but the owners were aware that they were having guests and the day was lovely. Five minutes & some Windex would have gone a long way.
We had evening plans to go to dinner, at their restaurant - & to the theater. When we returned we tried to watch the NCAA tournament on our TV. It was so small {about a 15" diameter} that we could get the game, but not the score, as there was not enough room on the screen. I should note here, that we had booked another room, but Richard informed us at check in that due to plumbing problems we had "upgraded" to another room, that retails at $160/night. They flyer in this room specified turn down service, it didn't happen. In the morning we discovered that that bathroom tub had drainage problems. There were 8 lights over the mirror, 6 were candle shaped & thick with dust, one "standard" bulb, burned out & one halogen bulb. Bathroom supplies were in a dust encrusted bowl; the waste basket was lined with a WalMart bag. I know this is incredibly picky, but at $160/night {which we did not pay, we paid $130} I expect more. In fact, I expect clean & dusted for a whole lot less!
Breakfast was three courses & good. Richard served - still hadn't seen Hazel. When we finished he informed us he would be waiting in living room when we were ready to settle the bill. Kind of "Don't let the door..." We met him & paid. Not once were we asked if everything was okay or, for that matter, any other nicety. Hazel never appeared at all & she was there, as she had made breakfast. We have never encountered such, cold, uncaring inn keepers.
I will note here, that my dinner at their restaurant was poor. When I informed the waiter that we were staying at the Inn , he said that the owner was at the restaurant & would talk with me. Hazel never appeared, the chef did & apologized for all the mistakes. I have to believe that Hazel & Richard were well aware of the dinner screw-ups. This may be why Hazel never chose to introduce herself, but Richard should have said something. He was aware that we were having dinner at their restaurant and asking about our meal would just be considered common courtesy Thus my title, the devil is in the details!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank luvtarheelstate
Reviewed November 16, 2007

I stayed at the Victoria and Albert several years ago, and it really impressed me with its comfort and luxury. I had a room at the front with a huge comfy bed and a delightful blue and white color scheme. The jade-green bathroom was almost the size of the bedroom! It had an enormous whirlpool tub, lots of fluffy towels, etc. The breakfast was very good. The inn is located in a lovely old neighborhood, with Abingdon's main street within easy walking distance. It's the perfect place for honeymooners or any couple looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: April 2003, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed August 28, 2006

Don't get me wrong! This is a beautiful house with a wonderful breakfast. I don't want to get into specifics (for reasons of annonimity), but I unknowingly irritated Hazel upon my arrival. I am very easy to get along with and even after being yelled at, I was polite. Let's just say that her social skills at dealing with an issue are not what they should be when running a B&B! I would not even consider ever stepping foot in that place again!

• Stayed: November 2005
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank note2jeff
A TripAdvisor Member
West Virginia
Reviewed May 30, 2005

My husband and I just returned from Abingdon, Virginia where we spent two nights at the Victoria and Albert Inn. We were celebrating our first anniversary. The inn is beautiful, but there were a couple of problems.

We stayed in the flower room, which has an adjoining private bath with a double whirlpool tub. The tub was one of the main reasons we decided to stay at the V&A. Upon welcoming us to the inn and giving us a tour of our room, Richard showed us the tub and said, "Try to keep the water in the tub". He told us that some newlyweds had stayed at the inn and "thought it would be fun to spray each other with the showerhead." Richard said this had resulted in over $200 worth of damages. This was the only thing he told us about using the whirlpool. In addition, there were instructions posted on the bathroom wall for using the tub....make sure the light switch on the far left is in the on position, turn the whirlpool on once the water is approximately 2 inches above the jets...that kind of thing. So on our first night, we decided to try out the tub. After enjoying the whirlpool for a while, it suddenly stopped working. When we got out, an unsigned note had been slipped under our door stating, "The policy here is no whirlpool after 11 p.m." Someone had evidently turned off the breaker to the tub.

No such policy was stated to us on arrival, and nothing like this was posted anywhere in the room or bathroom. If we had been aware of this policy, we would have been more than willing to abide by the rules.

The second problem was that the bed linens smelled very musty. My husband had commented on the smell the next morning, but hadn't realized it was the sheets.

All in all, we had a great time in Abingdon, and I know there are many who thoroughly enjoy their stays at the V&A. No place is perfect; however, I probably will not return to this inn.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 24, 2004

After calling for a room at the A@V Inn, we booked a room at their other B&B a couple of blocks down. That was The Love House. We chose it because of a large jetted tub in the room. First impression at the A&V where we checked in, was a very well kept, upscale inn. Arrivial at Love House looked "OK" at first.....except the gardener must have been on vacation for awhile. House is pretty and restored into what could or has been a nice B&B (does smell a little musty). Room was comfortable, but I had the really we were using the hand-me-downs from the A&V. Had daily maid service.... but whoever cleans only hits the high spots. The whole house needs a good spring cleaning. I do have to say the inkeepers were nice enough and Hazel's food is wonderful! I feel her help is letting her down.
No I wouldn't stay there again....won't be welcome now anyway! And don't waste your money at the Hardware Store. Food was very good.......but greatly over priced for the service and atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2004