“Great Motel!”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Columbia, South Carolina
“Great Motel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

My husband and I (mid 40s) stayed here while sightseeing in Abingdon. We typically stay in Comfort Inns or Quality Suites when travelling in this manner, but couldn't resist the look of the Alpine Motel. If you long for the days of Airstream trailers and drive-in movies, this motel is for you! We loved it. It is an older motel, was clean, quiet, the room was large, the staff exceptionally friendly, other clientele seemed to be folks in the area to mountain bike and hike. Very convenient to everything pertaining to Abingdon. We can't wait to return.

• Liked — It was like a step back to the 60s, very quaint and special
  • Disliked — no coffee maker in the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Weehawken
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

Really nice motel. Large rooms, well maintained grounds and very clean. A well kept older motel. Enjoyed having a refrigerator and microwave in the clean room.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Inverness, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

I spent two nights at the Alpine Motel and left town early primarily because I didn't want to stay another night there. While the rooms were quite large, the room that I was in was in dire need of updating. Upon checking in, the desk clerk was a man of few words almost to the point of being totally rude. I was not informed about the free continental breakfast (consisting of a few bagels and mini-muffins) and knew of it only because of a previous review on this site. Be aware that there was no coffee pot, shampoo or any other extras in the room. I didn't approach the desk clerk about these items because frankly I didn't want to deal with him. I'll spend a few dollars more and stay elsewhere on my next trip to the area.

• Liked — Central Location
  • Disliked — The Motel Staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank tbell7
Boone, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

My two daughters and I stayed at the Alpine Motel for a weekend while we were in Abingdon for a swim meet. The meet was held at the Coomes Recreation Center, which was very convenient to the Alpine Motel. I had read all of the reviews here, so I knew what to expect.

We arrived at 2pm on the Friday, and they let us check in early. The room had just been cleaned, and it had a faint clean/new carpet smell. The room was very large, with two full beds, a microwave, small fridge, TV, and a spotless bathroom. We met the maid while we were carrying our bags in, and she was very friendly. The room had an air conditioner mounted on the rear wall, which quickly cooled the room. It made the usual amount of noise of a window unit. There were two lawn chairs outside each room, which we did not use, but we saw other guests using theirs. The motel had a friendly, relaxing atmosphere. There was distant noise from the interstate, which we could not hear when in the room with the windows and door closed.

The free breakfast was very skimpy, but I had been prepared for that by the reviews, so it did not affect us. I did make sure to bring some fruit and yogurt that I kept in the fridge. All the motel offered was coffee (no decaf), powdered creamer, sugar & substitutes, tea bags, bagels, cream cheese, mini muffins, and orange juice. There was a toaster for the bagels. I had been looking forward to buying something at the nearby Wildflour Bakery, but it happened to be closed that week.

The TV and alarm clock worked (not the case of other motels we've been to lately!). My daughter was even able to wirelessly access the internet on her laptop. The beds were comfortable, with nice plump pillows. All in all, we had a pleasant experience at the Alpine Motel.

One thing to note - there was a sign on the door saying no bikes allowed in the room, even though there was plenty of room.

• Liked — Large room, comfortable beds & pillows, good water pressure, good fridge
  • Disliked — limited breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Goldsboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

Used to pass by this motel frequently when I lived in the area in late 1940s; it looked like a nice place to stay. We stayed here several times under the prior management over eight years ago.
But we later opted for the Comfort Inn, as it had a continental breakfast at a lower price.

The new in-house Alpine owner/management has installed nice new carpeting, new or reupholstered furniture, commodes, electronically controlled (wall) air conditioners, refrigerators,microwave ovens, and bed covers. And they now offer a (very minimal) breakfast bar. Rooms remain spacious. And price is lower - compared to Comfort Inn.

On the negative side: pleasant view was marred by a delapidated dump truck (on jacks) in the parking lot at the middle of the motel - apparently a dumpster for work being done in the motel. The shower spray nozzle was frozen - not adjustable.

The room was odorous upon entry. There is no bathroom vent fan. The small ventilation window in the bathroom could not be opened. Twice asked management to fix- they did not. Note: The sink is outside the bathroom.

Rooms are clean and quite. But if you open the small front windows to ventilate the room, you must tolerate the distant roar of trucks on I-81.

The breakfast bar is skimpy: orange juice, coffee, bagels, toast, jelly and cream cheese. No cereal and milk, no fruits.

Perhaps it is a cultural difference, but the management comes across as unfriendly, or rude. A good place to stay - if maintenance is improved.

• Liked — Attractive grounds. Spacious rooms. Park at your door.
  • Disliked — Poor maintenance, skimpy breakfast, unresponsive management.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank widepark
kande1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2008

The Alpine has new green carpet! It is really nice, I love it. Right now my son is out in the parking lot playing basketball with some other boys. I love that he can be right outside my door, and I can watch him. He doesn't have to be cooped up in the room. This time, our room is once again very clean and nice, and I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank kande1
kansas city, mo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2007

My husband's family is from abingdon, so we stay at the motel when we go to visit - we love the view and the crisp air, and it's close to our other favorite (the Wildflour Bakery). The rooms are huge, and it's very comfortable. The owners are very nice and helpful.

• Liked — the retro look, large rooms, loung chairs in front of rooms, view
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family