“Apparently Going Downhill”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Inverness, FL
“Apparently Going Downhill”
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I spent two nights at the Alpine Motel and left town early primarily because I didn't want to stay another night there. While the rooms were quite large, the room that I was in was in dire need of updating. Upon checking in, the desk clerk was a man of few words almost to the point of being totally rude. I was not informed about the free continental breakfast (consisting of a few bagels and mini-muffins) and knew of it only because of a previous review on this site. Be aware that there was no coffee pot, shampoo or any other extras in the room. I didn't approach the desk clerk about these items because frankly I didn't want to deal with him. I'll spend a few dollars more and stay elsewhere on my next trip to the area.

• Liked — Central Location
  • Disliked — The Motel Staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank tbell7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Boone, NC
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My two daughters and I stayed at the Alpine Motel for a weekend while we were in Abingdon for a swim meet. The meet was held at the Coomes Recreation Center, which was very convenient to the Alpine Motel. I had read all of the reviews here, so I knew what to expect.

We arrived at 2pm on the Friday, and they let us check in early. The room had just been cleaned, and it had a faint clean/new carpet smell. The room was very large, with two full beds, a microwave, small fridge, TV, and a spotless bathroom. We met the maid while we were carrying our bags in, and she was very friendly. The room had an air conditioner mounted on the rear wall, which quickly cooled the room. It made the usual amount of noise of a window unit. There were two lawn chairs outside each room, which we did not use, but we saw other guests using theirs. The motel had a friendly, relaxing atmosphere. There was distant noise from the interstate, which we could not hear when in the room with the windows and door closed.

The free breakfast was very skimpy, but I had been prepared for that by the reviews, so it did not affect us. I did make sure to bring some fruit and yogurt that I kept in the fridge. All the motel offered was coffee (no decaf), powdered creamer, sugar & substitutes, tea bags, bagels, cream cheese, mini muffins, and orange juice. There was a toaster for the bagels. I had been looking forward to buying something at the nearby Wildflour Bakery, but it happened to be closed that week.

The TV and alarm clock worked (not the case of other motels we've been to lately!). My daughter was even able to wirelessly access the internet on her laptop. The beds were comfortable, with nice plump pillows. All in all, we had a pleasant experience at the Alpine Motel.

One thing to note - there was a sign on the door saying no bikes allowed in the room, even though there was plenty of room.

• Liked — Large room, comfortable beds & pillows, good water pressure, good fridge
  • Disliked — limited breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2008

Used to pass by this motel frequently when I lived in the area in late 1940s; it looked like a nice place to stay. We stayed here several times under the prior management over eight years ago.
But we later opted for the Comfort Inn, as it had a continental breakfast at a lower price.

The new in-house Alpine owner/management has installed nice new carpeting, new or reupholstered furniture, commodes, electronically controlled (wall) air conditioners, refrigerators,microwave ovens, and bed covers. And they now offer a (very minimal) breakfast bar. Rooms remain spacious. And price is lower - compared to Comfort Inn.

On the negative side: pleasant view was marred by a delapidated dump truck (on jacks) in the parking lot at the middle of the motel - apparently a dumpster for work being done in the motel. The shower spray nozzle was frozen - not adjustable.

The room was odorous upon entry. There is no bathroom vent fan. The small ventilation window in the bathroom could not be opened. Twice asked management to fix- they did not. Note: The sink is outside the bathroom.

Rooms are clean and quite. But if you open the small front windows to ventilate the room, you must tolerate the distant roar of trucks on I-81.

The breakfast bar is skimpy: orange juice, coffee, bagels, toast, jelly and cream cheese. No cereal and milk, no fruits.

Perhaps it is a cultural difference, but the management comes across as unfriendly, or rude. A good place to stay - if maintenance is improved.

• Liked — Attractive grounds. Spacious rooms. Park at your door.
  • Disliked — Poor maintenance, skimpy breakfast, unresponsive management.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank widepark
kande1
Reviewed May 31, 2008

The Alpine has new green carpet! It is really nice, I love it. Right now my son is out in the parking lot playing basketball with some other boys. I love that he can be right outside my door, and I can watch him. He doesn't have to be cooped up in the room. This time, our room is once again very clean and nice, and I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank kande1
kansas city, mo
Reviewed March 27, 2007

My husband's family is from abingdon, so we stay at the motel when we go to visit - we love the view and the crisp air, and it's close to our other favorite (the Wildflour Bakery). The rooms are huge, and it's very comfortable. The owners are very nice and helpful.

• Liked — the retro look, large rooms, loung chairs in front of rooms, view
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank sheffeykc
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Were in town to attend a play at the Barter Theatre on our way to Shenandoah Nat. Park. This place looked classic - a motel out of my childhood so we were disappointed when they didn't have the reservation. I made it online with AAA and had called the motel directly to confirm 5 days before. The clerk did call the nearby Days Inn and got us a room at the same rate; this was fortunate because of a festival going on in town.

We will try to stay here another time. It's on the north end of town and is convenient to Damascus and the bike trail (Virginia Creeper) there.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank FosterMascot
NC mountains
Reviewed December 10, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a weekend in Abingdon. We were visiting to see Miracle on 34th Street at the Barter Theatre. I decided on the Alpine after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, and also after finding out the rate was only $59/night, which is a steal for this time of year (and it being only 2 miles from Barter). The hotel is over 40 years old, so of course it has a vintage feel, but it also has a lot of charm. The rooms are HUGE, the bathroom is larger than most hotels, it was VERY celan, had updated carpet and appliances, and it also had a mini-refrigerator and a microwave. Overall, I give the Alpine Motel two thumbs up, and I will stay there the next time I visit Abingdon.

• Stayed December 2005