“Nice experience”
Review of Alpine Motel

Alpine Motel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Not for everyone but If you grew up in a family doing summer vacation road trips in the family car and staying in the small, privately owned motels before Holiday Inn changed the industry, this place will bring back those memories. Nostalgic single story motel with about 19 rooms available. Close to I-81 but no noise, very quiet and good scenic view of of the rolling hills from the two lawn chairs in front of each room. Very large rooms, basic accomodations but very clean and beds were comfortable. Bring your own toiletries such as shampoo, mouthwash as room only had towels and soap. A/C worked very well. Large yard space for the kids to play. Clean, comfortable and great memories at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Couldn't find a website, had to call for reservations...adds to the nostalgia.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank steve t

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Agree with the favorable reviews here. This motel has a great location and beautiful views and has huge clean rooms with all that one needs except shampoo and a coffee maker. This is another well-loved older property with prices that also remind of yesterday. The rooms have good wifi, a microwave and a fridge. The continental breakfast is so inadequate that they should just do away with it. An excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We stay here coming and going to the East Coast. Perfect family owned motel. Great location away from interstate. We can leave bikes on car outside our door. Fast, free Internet. A very comfortable place, and the owner is remodeling the rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We always stay at the Alpine when we ride the Virginia Creeper Trail. It is very affordable, clean and we like having our bicycles parked right outside our door. We also enjoy sitting on the front porch in the evenings, and it has a nice view. Don't expect much for the continental breakfast, but the rooms are roomy, clean and comfortable, with a frig and micro. We also like that the sink area is separate from the toilet and tub. I've sent many people to the Alpine and have never received a complaint.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I visit Damascus, VA each May with a group of volunteers for the Appalachian Trail Days festival. Two out of the three years we have gone, we have stayed at the Alpine Motel and found it better than expected.

The motel is small and looks from the outside can be deceiving, but the rooms are a pleasant surprise. They are spacious and clean. We get non-smoking rooms and can tell that they haven't broken this rule to make an extra buck. Everything smells fine. Plenty of space like I said, and contain a microwave and mini-fridge. There is a lot of bathroom counter space as well.

Outdoors, the view from the front door is lovely, and the motel provides lawn chairs to sit and take it in. Housekeeping is quick and efficient. I ran into her a few times - she is very friendly and even remembered us from one year to the next. If someone is sleeping, she will give you the towels or whatever you need for the room and come back later or the next day.

Prices are reasonable as well and we have never been disturbed my noise or other guests/staff. As we spend minimal time in our rooms anyway, this meets our needs perfectly.

The only complaint any of us have is the height of the shower head. My husband is 6'1 and I am 5'10 - both of us stand higher than the shower head and have to bend significantly to wash our hair!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bekahchica
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at the Alpine in January 2005. The motel and room were somewhat dated, but the room was spacious and the parking was great, right outside your door. I found the desk clerk (who I believe was also the owner) difficult to communicate with. I missed the cow pasture and the mountain views because it was winter and very dark when I arrived (about 8PM). Unfortunately there was a snow/ice storm that night and when I woke up the parking area and driveway were covered with ice and snow. I waited several hours in the morning hoping that conditions would improve before I left. But I had to be in Memphis that evening so I finally left the room about 10AM. Nothing had been done to clear or treat the ice and snow in the parking area/driveway. This was most unfortunate because the driveway went downhill to a state highway. I made it to the state road without incident but it was touch and go and I was lucky. Bottom line is I would recommend this place unless its winter and snow is likely.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank 463Greg_P463
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were coming to Abingdon due to family being in the local hospital. The trip wasn't planned and money was tight. The Super 8 was booked solid and everything else in town was >100 a night. Distraught and worried we'd be sleeping in the car when we came across the Alpine we pulled up at 3am tired, wet and exhausted. Waking up the night clerk she was very nice in spite of the late hour and gave us a room for $49/night.

This room has ...
a fridge
a microwave
a desk
a small table and chair
two super comfy beds
a big tv
a shower with the most awesome massage head and one of those wide-curve curtains
a huge amount of free-space--you could easily sleep an entire family on the floor alone--more space than I've ever seen in a hotel before. The size of this room alone is amazing.

Now this isn't a 5-star luxury hotel. The threadbare towel, the peeling paint in some spots, overgrown bushes reflect that it is not going to be leaving a mint on your pillow but--I've paid twice as much for half as many ameneties in other places. This is the -best- value for your dollar in Abingddon. Period.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple