“Bad experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Abingdon
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“Bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

The weekend before Christmas, I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Abingdon, VA. I have stayed here previously and always enjoyed it. When I departed on Sunday morning, I mistakenly left my cell phone charger in the room. I called the hotel from the road on Sunday afternoon to report this and ask the hotel to retrieve the charger. They claimed to be unable to find the charger. I called several times over the next 4 days and was told that "the housekeeping staff always returns things to the front desk", implying that I really didn't leave the charger. Well, I did leave it, and my cell phone charger did not just get up and walk away! So there is either a dishonest person on the housekeeping staff or the hotel has strangers walking the hall looking in rooms to see whether somebody left something valuable (which is hard to do if the doors are locked). If I had to bet, I'd say there is a dishonest person on the housekeeping staff who is now the proud owner of a very good cell phone charger. I have occasionally left items in my room at other hotels, and this is the very first time a hotel has not retrieved the item and returned it to me. It was very discouraging because I am unable to buy a cell phone charger like the one which was stolen.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank John W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Mooresville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

We had to cancel the 2nd night of our stay. I mistakenly left my telephone in the room. When I discovered it the next day I called them. They had it and made arrangements to return it to me. They were extremely helpful in every way.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Prestonsburg, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I routinely stay here when traveling through the area on business. Although the exterior indicates this is an older hotel, the interior has been redecorated and is very nice. The rooms are what you would expect from a Hampton--clean, comfortable, and nicely appointed. Fresh fruit and coffee in the lobby, which isn't very big but has adequate seating and places for a quiet conversation. Hotel is just off I-81, but only a few minutes away from the Barter Theatre and several good restaurants. Internet access is good, and cell reception (ATT) is good here. My only complaint is that it's sometimes difficult to exit the hotel parking lot if you're leaving at work time on a weekday morning. Otherwise no complaints, and it remains my hotel of choice for the Abingdon area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Debra M
Vero Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We arrived early in the day and thought we'd stop by the hotel. To our surprise we were able to check in and get into our room. Very nice. Everything was clean and comfortable. All the staff were helpful and friendly. We were going to 2 plays at the Barter Theatre. It was a quick drive to and from the hotel; we were able to easily go back to our hotel and relax between meals and plays.

sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Good hotel and location is good, but for this area I thought the price was a bit to much. I would expect to pay this price in location closer to beach or a bigger city, but not in southwestern VA. Staff was friendly, access to elevator was convenient.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Tallahassee, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

A reasonable alternative to Abingdon's more expensive lodging choices. When the lobby remodeling is complete in December 2013, it will end up much nicer. (It was fine when we were there during the remodel.)

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
#6 of 9 in Abingdon
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#9 of 9 in Abingdon

Been to Hampton Inn Abingdon? Share your experiences!