“good place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Birmingham, Alabama
“good place to stay”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The rooms are newly renovated & are great with built in cabinets, desk, & closet. They are still re-doing the lobby. I had to bring suitcases in on the luggage cart. Many of the employees helped me since the floors are uneven in the lobby. A tip - the best handicapped place to park is next to the pool. There is an easy entrance to get into the hotel from there.

If you are considering this hotel vs. the Hampton Inn in Bristol (both on I-81). The Abingdon one has restaurants close & Bristol does not. Abingdon is 16 miles further north than Bristol.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Darrell D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Abingdon, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your stay in Abingdon. We are very pleased with our renovations and hope to have the lobby completed within the next few weeks. Please stay with us again when you visit our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Phoenix, United States
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Lobby was in complete shambles; sounds of floor work could be heard throughout the hotel. Walking surfaces were unsafe. No notification was given to occupants communicating that effort was due to start. When I approached the desk staff to ask about how long this effort was supposed to last, I was given a short answer of...I dont know. I cancelled the rest of my stay, and checked into a different hotel. Very frustrating, especially considering how much I stay in Hamptons, Hiltons, etc. Did I mention that I found a pubic hair on the floor in front of the toilet, when I first checked in!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

I'm sorry your stay with us wasn't a pleasant experience. We are trying our best to accommodate all our guests as we work through the last phases of our renovation. Contrary however to your comment, the fact that we are under renovation is posted on our website, on every door as you enter the hotel, inside the elevator and there are two signs at the front desk. All renovation activity that has noise associated with it is stopped at 5 p.m. and does not start in the morning until after 10 a.m. Once again, I apologize for your unpleasant experience as we try to finish our renovations.
Abingdon, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Newly renovated hotel. Just renovated this year. Breakfast is sufficient. Orange juice too strong. Apple juice is my choice. Would stay here again when in the area. Not easy to get into during rush hour due to traffic and only one exit to the motel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Martin, Georgia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Abingdon in order to bike ride the Virginia Creeper Trail. (Which was so much fun!) The hotel staff were very courteous and helpful. We noticed that some of the staff were older, and very hard workers. Ms. Jackie, who took care of all the breakfast items, wore a smile on her face all the time. Lee, from hotel maintenance, was able to advise several places in and around town for us to see/do during our stay. Initially, the room rate was going to be about $140/night, but the clerk was able to charge us only $105/night when we elected to stay 2 nights instead of 1. We were unaware of "incidental" charges that would be charged to our debit account once we checked out, so I called & talked with Amanda, who was very helpful & assured me that the "extra" charges (about $35) would be credited to me once the final bill was processed. Our room was new (remodeled) with a very comfortable bed with duvet cover. The only downside was the air conditioning unit was a bit loud and there is no way to run it intermittently. It had to either be on or off. Also, the mini fridge in the room came on intermittently, and it was a bit noisy. The pool was very nice. The hot breakfast included in our stay was great! I highly recommend this Hampton Inn!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel is literally a block off of I-81 and only one mile from downtown Abingdon. It's nothing to write home about, but it's an affordable hotel in a good location - the service was good, I didn't feel that the beds were very comfortable and when we got to the breakfast at 8am, they were out of most things, overall it gets a solid 3/5.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mooresville, United States
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Hotel was very clean and staff friendly. Only drawback is that it is a non-smoking establishment. Room prices were higher than normal due to Bristol race weekend. Would recommend this hotel although it is about 30-35 minutes away from the race track.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Virginia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My teenage son and I stayed here for 2 nights so we could ride the Virginia Creeper Trail. The hotel was easy to find (right off I-81), and when we arrived, the desk clerk (an Asian lady...I do not remember her name) was very friendly and welcoming. There's a bowl of fresh fruit in the lobby for guests, which was a nice touch. Our room was very clean and comfy. The fridge and microwave were nice, but we were disappointed that the fridge did not have a freezer compartment so we could freeze our cooler ice pack. The bathroom seemed a bit nicer than the standard, which was a nice touch. The air conditioner was one of those units under the window, but it worked great and was not too noisy. (The AC was ice cold.) Beds were comfy. Maid service cleaned everything perfectly. Breakfast was the usual fare, but the breakfast area was kept clean and well-stocked. The employee working the breakfast area (an older lady) was especially nice and made everyone feel at home. The hotel was undergoing renovations during our stay, and one night, we felt uncomfortable as a large group of construction workers and their female companions were partying on some benches near the parking lot. The back door to the parking lot was supposed to be locked, requiring a key, but the door was always unlocked (we came in after 11:00pm and found it unlocked). I would still give this hotel 5 stars if it weren't for the price--$140/night (the AAA rate) seemed a bit pricey for a standard Hampton Inn room. If we ever return to Abingdon, we will shop for another hotel with lower prices or specials--certainly a quality hotel with similar amenities can be found for less than $140.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to Hampton Inn Abingdon? Share your experiences!