“Always feel welcome here, Love having Gentleman who can help loading car, even umbrella when raining” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Abingdon

Hampton Inn Abingdon
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Abingdon
Belmont, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

I was on business and stayed at tis locatin again, desk staff great, love that they have an older gentleman to help with unloading, loading, even an umbrella offered due tosevere weather. The breakfast Hostess always keeps food, fresh and ready for guests be @ 6am or 10am....she is great!! Know when in the area, this is were I will stay. Close to interstate, food and shopping.

Room Tip: all rooms good, never an issue.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Darrell D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Abingdon, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I sincerely appreciate your comments. Lee is a real people person and loves taking care of guests. In fact he won the "Spirit of Hampton" award a few months back for his excellent guest service. This award goes to less than 1% of Hampton employees world wide.

Thanks again for being our guest and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Keswick, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn, Abingdon four years ago and thought it was a good experience. I was wrong. My wife, mother-in-law and I stayed there on Sunday night and found that we had a great experience. We made our reservations on the road as we headed north from Chatanooga. We were warmly greeted when we arrived and both of our rooms were clean and well-kept. We received great suggestions on where we could eat on a Sunday night in Abingdon when many restaurants were closed and thanked the desk clerk for his excellent dining suggestion upon our return from an enjoyable meal. Breakfast the next day wowed my wife and mother-in-law who could not believe the quantity and quality of food laid out for guests. All of this made for a very good experience for us until greatness struck. My wife realized upon our return home that she had left one set of clothes in the closet in our room. She called down and was told, "Yes, we have your clothes and we will send them up to you." Two days later UPS delivered them to our door step. Now that is the kind of service that qualifies this hotel for a five-star rating of excellence in my judgment!

Room Tip: We stayed on the side towards I-81 (where I has stayed previously) and could hardly hear any highway...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Darrell D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Abingdon, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am exceptionally proud of our staff and we love having guests such as you!! We all hope you can come back and stay with us again soon. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!!
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

In room furniture was in poor condition, some sort of dirty air filters were left in my bathroom sink. Wobbly desk and intermittent internet service made work difficult. Exercise room equipment not functional. Unlikely to return. Hotels in nearby Bristol VA seem to be somewhat better. Staff were very polite and friendly at this site but this property was below par for a Hampton.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tcravenaz
Darrell D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Abingdon, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
I am extremely sorry your room did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. We are in the process of receiving final approval from Hampton for a complete renovation of our property that will take place within the next few months. I sincerely hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you. Also, thank you for the nice comments about our staff.
Fayetteville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

I started laughing as soon as I entered the room and saw the monkey towel art on the wall and then in the bathroom found more towel art. The room was large and the bed was very comfortable. The staff were friendly and professional. I smile whenever I think of this stay.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

This October marked the 20th consecutive year the our group can to Abingdon to bicycle the Virginia Creeper Trail. We tried several motels in the area but after one stay at the Hampton we have never considered staying elsewhere. We usually occupy about ten rooms and never has anyone had a complaint. Breakfast is great, rooms are clean and roomy. The staff is friendly and they make up gratis lunch bags with cookies, fruit, water, and power bars for guests to take when they leave. There is a maintenance man that has been there all of the years that we have been staying there and he is so much more than a "maintenance man". One year when the trails were muddy, he hooked up a hose and helped us clean up our filthy, mud covered bikes. He scrapes windshields when the ice comes and is every ones best friend.
Sometimes it is a little difficult getting out of the driveway due to the traffic but if that is a real problem then I suggest that you may be a little picky!!!

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad one .
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

This was yet another example that not all Hampton Inns are created equal, or as well run as they should be. I assume there is consistency within the Hampton brand name, but this stay reminded me that is not always the case.

We made reservations for a non-smoking king room. I still have a copy of the reservation confirmation. After waiting at least 10 minutes to check in (only one innkeeper working), the clerk assigned my room, and I asked if it was a king. She answered "yes". But upon entering the room, we discovered we had been given a room with two queen beds. I immediately called the front desk; she said "whoever made the reservation specified queen beds". This was not correct; I asked if there were any kings available, and she said "no". We were stuck: I knew it, and Hampton knew it.

In all the years of staying at dozens of Hilton properties, this was the first instance in which the room type we reserved was denied to us. It seemed like a "bait and switch" tactic.

Once the room type seemed a moot issue, we started to assess our environment. The hotel looks like an older property, with three floors. The room did have a flat-panel TV, but the furniture was old and scuffed, and the carpet had tears in it by the A/C unit. There was no closet, only a small cupboard. The bathroom had good space underneath the angled counter and sink.

There were no plugs in the bedside lamps like most Hamptons have today to accommodate travelers who need to recharge phones, cameras, ipads, etc

We skipped breakfast in the small, dining area with low ceilings full of crowded hotel guests. Actually, we couldn't wait to end a bad travel experience.

This hotel is mediocre at best, and expensive for a small town on a non-race weekend. It is also difficult to exit from the hotel to the street.

And a final remark for Hilton: There was no Hilton Honors recognition at check-in; this is not a big deal for me, as it usually entails just a quick compliment and a bottle of water. The bigger meaning is that Hilton properties are trained in recognizing repeat customers; this property missed the corporate mark in this regard, and in many others.

Perhaps we stayed at a "Hampton Lite"? We will never stay there again, and would not recommend the property to friends or family.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank TimelessAmerican
Darrell D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Abingdon, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
I'm sorry that your desired room type was unavailable at check-in. Sometimes there are instances when our HHonors guests extend their stay unexpectedly and because of our high occupancy rates our inventory of King rooms is depeleted. However this is a rare instance and once again I apologize for your inconvenience. Also, I am pleased to say that a major renovation to our hotel is set to begin in December of this year and I am excited about the new look and amentities which will be coming for our guests. Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip and I hope you will try us again once our renovation is complete.
DEstin Fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

A very nice Hampton Inn, well managed with clean rooms, very comfortable beds and a decent breakfast. Certainly would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your kind comments about our hotel. We certainly appreciate the opportunity to serve you and trust that you will stay with us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
#6 of 9 in Abingdon
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#9 of 9 in Abingdon

Been to Hampton Inn Abingdon? Share your experiences!