All reviewsfront deskthe breakfast areahotel is pet friendlyhuddle housebreakfast hostessroom was cleanstaff was very friendly and helpfulfresh fruitoatmealallow petsking bedhotel stayexcellent stayhot breakfastfirst floornext morningfridge and microwave
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Needed a place to stay while I was in town visiting family and attending the Washington County Fair. So, I just wanted something clean and comfortable for one night that would get me the rest I needed for a LONG LONG drive home.

The location was perfect..close to HWY 81. It is also close to a few fast food chains. The location was quiet and check-in was a snap. This was a plus since I didnt get back from the fair until amost 1130PM. The lobby area and hotel room were both very clean. The room was beautiful, complete with separate sitting area/couch. The bedding was very comfortable and clean. The room also had a fridge and microwave, which was a plus. I was very pleased with the room's decor and comfort.

HOWEVER, the 3rd floor hallway leading to our room, smelled terrible. It had a musky smell to it. At 1st I thought it was stale cigarette smoke smell, but later it just smelled like damp old garage. The vent was on in our room when we checked in and it smelled fresh, but as the night went on..the musky damp smell from the hall began to creep into the room. I woke up at 230AM and couldnt get back to sleep due to the smell. I tried pulling the covers up over my nose and face, but it just seemed to penetrate the whole room. I did manage to drift off to sleep a few times, but kept waking up to that smell. I got up and went out into the hallway, which still had that odor..and made my way down to the lobby area for breakfast & check out.

The hotel offers a free breakfast with its stay (which they should for the PRICE). Normally, I would say that it was an amazing breakfast. It may be. But I had such a headache and was nauseated from the dank musky odor that I could barely eat. The food looked good & was presented well. The breakfast bar included: apples, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, juice, milk, cereal, warm cinnamon buns, sausage patties, biscuits, gravy, cheese omelets, toast, englsh muffins, bagels & cream cheese, assorted muffins, oatmeal and grits. With some imagination, a cheese omelet paired with a sausage pattie and an english muffin or biscuit--makes a pretty nifty breakfast sandwich. My husband did say it was all very good, but I only managed to get down half a bagel. There is a VERY large TV in the lobby area where you eat. That was nice to watch the news. And the lady that maintains the breakfast bar was constantly putting out fresh food and coffee & walking around to the tables to see if everyone was ok. That was really nice. It was almost like being in a restaurant, but without the bill/tip.

I mentioned the odor to the staff when checking out, after breakfast. They did thank me for bringing it to their attention & gave me the explanation that the maids may not have gotten all the water out of the rugs when they cleaned the 3rd floor hallway the other day. He said he would have them re-clean the rugs and take care of it.

It is a shame that the hallway had the odor it had when I was there. Minus the terrible headache and nausea that I experienced due to the smell...the accomodations were beautiful. It was sad to give this review. Everything was so beautiful & comfortable & clean AND the breakfast bar was amazing...but the smell from the hallway ruined this stay for me.

Also, the view from the room could have been better (I think it was a lumber yard out back)..but I wasnt staying for the view anyways..so this didnt matter to me.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank daisyferret1
MgrExpress, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Abingdon, VA, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2008

Dear Daisyferret1,

Thank you for your kind words regarding the Holiday Inn Express Abingdon. We are so glad that you found our property to be a beautiful and confortable place to stay!
The staff and managment appreciate your input and regret that you had an issue with damp carpet odor---thank you for calling that to our attention, we were able to correct the problem before permanent water damage occurred.
The Holiday Inn Express Abingdon staff and management pride ourselves on giving exceptional service and making sure that each guest truly enjoys their stay. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you are in Abingdon and if there is anything at all that we can do to make your stay more enjoyable please do not hesitate to let us know!
Many thanks and safe travels,
Angel Robertson
Guest Service Manager
Holiday Inn Express Abingdon VA

Reviewed June 30, 2008

not a bad little place - we stayed here as part of 2 day bicycle rally - clean and comfortable (hall rugs were starting to look a little worn, but that didn't affect our room - which was clean and comfortable - our number one priority) - price was reasonable - breakfast was a notch above the usual breakfast buffet at similar motels -- front desk was helpful

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank joisey-joe
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Excellent---very clean, great service, and super breakfast

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank jvb1128
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This is a regular stop on our travels. The rooms are always great. Tonight the only rooms available were smoking rooms, but when we walked in you couldn't really tell it was a smoking room. Front desk staff is always cordial. Rooms have a really nice flat screen plasma TV, microwave and small refrigerator. Furniture is very stylish. The lamp on the nightstand has an extra plug in, so if you need access for C-pap, it's convenient. There is a Huddle House and a convenience store next door ( basically in the parking lot)

Although the fan runs a constant white noise, the compressor cutting on and off is a little more noticeable than other places we have stayed. However, there is a bathroom fan that we ran all night to give us the white noise effect we like to sleep with. AC did work good, though!

The tub appears to have been resurfaced, and is showing some signs of flaking...but I am a shower person, so this is not a big deal to me.

All in all, we like the convenience of this hotel to the Interstate, and always plan to stop here if it's anywhere close to "stoppin' time."

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank KcoleHill
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I stayed here for one night while traveling on business. The hotel was pretty good in every respect, though unremarkable.

The hotel is located right off I-81, with easy access. It was clean, everything in my room worked, and I didn't have any issues with the room. It wasn't the most stylish place, but certainly comfortable enough for a night or two. The free breakfast was typical, with cereal, juice, coffee, and toast. All the basics, but nothing beyond that.

I did have a minor problem upon checkout, because the hotel's computer crashed. I had to leave and could not wait around for the computer to reboot, so I didn't get a receipt. The desk clerk promised to fax it to me, and true to his word, when I got back to my office later that day, it was there.

I did think the rates were high (over $100 - I mean, it's small-town VA, come on) for what is basically a glorified motel. Then again, there weren't a lot of options in the area, so in the same position I'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business