“The BEST Hotel I've Been To” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct and Save
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Abingdon
Salem, Virginia
“The BEST Hotel I've Been To”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I can't not express in words how wonderful my stay was at the Holiday Inn Express in Abingdon!! Unless things change as far as employees, you will never stay at a more friendlier place. I will try to tell you all the wonderful things I experienced while staying at this hotel in Abingdon. We went down to re-supply my son while he was hiking the Appalachian Trail. My daughter when with me and she has some physical disabilities, so I reserved a room with two double beds and handicapped shower. Since she was military I asked if they honored any kind of military discount. They said they did, but their quota had been met, unfortunately.
Upon arrival, we found out our room had been given to someone else. They bent over backwards to make sure we were happy and boy were we EVER!! They gave us a room with a king bed and handicapped shower and another room with 2 double beds for the price one one room and even allowed our military discount. The price went from what we expected it to be of $117 a night to $88 a night. WOW.
The people at the desk (especially the day guy) and the breakfast bar in the morning and the cleaning folks were SOOOOOOO NICE!!!
The breakfast bar was really good with a large variety of your typical breakfast menu. Everything was delicious. The breakfast bar had everything you wanted. There was coffee in place 24 hours a day with plenty of supplies (milk, sugar, flavored milk,etc...). We got our rooms very close to the front door and with the handicapped parking we didn't have to walk to far to get our stuff to our rooms and back, plus our rooms were side by side.
We had my daughter's service dog and they happily accepted him. If you walked to the outside door at the end of the hall they even had poop bags and a place for her to do her business.
The room was very nice, the beds extremely comfortable and there was a microwave/refrigerator in the room along with coffee pot and hair dryer. My room was a nice size and my daughter's room was HUGE.
There was not much of a view, but you could walk to several fast foods places (Huddle, Burger King, Wendy's and right next door was a sit down sea food/steak restaurant that was really good and the prices were reasonable. Also, downtown Abingdon and the Barter Theater as well as a great movie theater were only a couple of miles down the road.

I just can't say enough about the place. If you have to go to Abingdon, VA for any reason I would highly recommend staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I will mark excellent for all questions, but I wish there was a place I could put excellent PLUS.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review of our property. I have addressed the issue of your accessible room being rented to another guest with the staff to ensure that this does not happen to another guest. I apologize for any inconvenience that was caused and am glad that the solution I provided to you met your family's needs. Our staff takes great pride in our property and the service we provide. The staff and I want every guest to have a positive experience with our property and the town of Abingdon. The staff and I enjoyed having you and your family stay with us and look forward to seeing you all again in the near future. Good luck to your son as he continues his journey on the AT.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

A college friend from the opposite direction and I decided to meet in Abingdon for a brief get-together, as it is a central location and has the added bonus of the Barter Theatre, a top-notch venue for play productions. We chose the Holiday Inn Express as they offered a deal combining a night's stay and tickets to the play, for a reduced rate. The Holiday Inn accommodations were standard but nice, clean, and spacious. All needs were met in a friendly, courteous manner by the very helpful staff. The only glitch was that the coffee maker did not work, but this was not a big deal as plenty of coffee and an array of breakfast items were available just down the hall. Each staff member, no matter the time, always greeted us very cordially. All in all it was a really nice stay.

Room Tip: We were given a choice of floors and chose a 1st floor room away from the vending machines. It was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank poemster
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we apologize about the coffee maker in the room not working. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Danny helped me at the front desk to get a room for my husband and myself that was never exposed to dog or cat dander. We are both allergic to animals and he succeeded in getting us a room that had never had dogs or cats in it. I was very surprised that he knew that I had stayed there before (over a year ago) while traveling to Tennessee. I will definitely stay there again!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. We are pleased that we could accommodate your specific needs for a pet free room. While we are a pet friendly hotel our third floor is completely pet free to accommodate guests with allergies. We thank you for your stay and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice Hotel with Hot Breakfast. I had a business meeting in Damascus, VA last week and wanted to stay somewhere right off the interstate. I like staying at Holiday Inns because I don't like surprises. The rooms are very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is hot and also very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. We want every guest to start their day off with a great breakfast. The breakfast staff takes great pride in preparing and stocking the breakfast every morning. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Gastonia, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Price great especially with the Barter Theater package. Front desk people extremely polite, helpful and accomodating. Hotel extremely clean. Breakfast above average and plenty to eat and good quality. Breakfast lady very friendly and kept it very well stocked.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. We are so glad that we could provide you with a great stay and experience during your trip to Abingdon The Barter Theater is one of many popular attractions here in Abingdon that are within minutes of our hotel. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Rossville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

If you want friendly service and comfortable rooms this is the place. Everyone was so friendly. Danny at the front desk always welcomed you back with a big smile and a welcome back. I was a guest here for 2 weeks while on a training session for work. There was always pots of hot coffee and fresh fruit waiting in the breakfast area. The breakfast staff was as friendly as ever and everyone at the frontdesk was great. If you are looking for a place to stay this is it! Beds were very comfortable too

Room Tip: Ask to have a room facing the back. You will not hear the freeway traffic that way. Also it is a p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Larry R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abingdon, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank your for your review of our hotel. The staff and I are pleased to have given you such a great experience during your stay with us. We continually strive to have everything at its very best for every guest. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us for your extended stay in Abingdon and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have had the pleasure to stay at. The night manager, Danny was so personable and helpful. The breakfast bar is amazing. The ladies that served us each morning are incredible. This hotel staff bends over backwards to help each and every guest. I will stay here anytime I am traveling to Bristol, TN to visit my son. Thank you for such a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review of our hotel. The staff here makes every attempt to ensure that our guests have the best experience possible while staying with us. It is our hope that every guest enjoys their stay as much as you have. We are so glad to have had you stay with us and look forward to your future visits.

Guest Service Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Hampton Inn Abingdon
Comfort Inn
#5 of 9 in Abingdon
3.5 of 5 stars 144 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol

Been to Holiday Inn Express Abingdon? Share your experiences!