“Beautiful setting”

The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Abbington is a perfect town in a beautiful setting.
This is our 5 visit to the Martha Washinton, but my
least favorite. The front desk was merely accomendating,
the valet were great and the bartender was the rudest and
worst we have experienced. We endured 3 days of her boorish
behavior before we complained. Breakfast is fresh and tasty
with accomendating but overworked staff.
It is unfortuned that just a couple of staff can jade an experience,
otherwise I love this place and will return.

io

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hikerprincess

Reviewed May 20, 2010

My husband surprised me with another visit to "the Martha" as she is fondly called in Abingdon, Va. Dating pre civil-war, this Inn is not only historical, but beautiful as well. All rooms have period furniture with modern conveniences. The salt water pool is fabulous. The outdoor natural rock jacuzzi a treat. We took a glass of wine down and enjoyed the warm water on a cool evening.
Port is served in the library at night and tea in the afternoon.
A fabulous breakfast!!! The sweet bread and fruit tray they bring to your table when you arrive is enough to fill you up! We had a choice of eggs cooked to our liking with bacon or saugsage, or walnut pancakes. Everything was delicious!
Valet parking is the only downside. If you are in and out a lot, you have to wait for your car, but they were very nice.
Across from the famous Barter Theater as well.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank farmrzwyf
Reviewed May 11, 2010

MWI Spas manager is HORRIBLE - Don't waste your time.
I am a local resident of Abingdon who booked 4 spa appointments on Saturday May 8 all for family: my Mom, my sister-in-laws and myself (a new Mom of a 5 monthold). I booked these appointments on April17th providing all the names fo my family on a piece of paper for what I believe to be the spa manager to enter into her system.

When I arrived at the spa on May 8th, the day before Mother's Day, the spa manger informed me that she could only retrieve 3 of the reservations. Disappointed I waited for her to look again, offer to accomodate me because of their error or even just apologize. I received nothing but a snooty glare. Very angry but with people behind me, I said nothing and just asked that she give my appointment to my Mother, whom they seemed to omit. I paid for all the appointments and left angry. When I cooled down I realized the Spa Manager charged me for 4 appointments- apparently she couldn't find the reservations in the system but somehow found the audacity to for me to pay for it. Further, when the family that I was treating to the spa as a Mother's Day present arrived, the staff informed them of the situation. So rather than my family enojying their time at the spa, they worried about trying to fix the situation and went o great lengths to try to do so. In the end the Spa found the 4th reservation.

The whole situation was a disaster and completely avoidable had the manager done her job. I have been to the Homestead, the Grovepark and countless other places in the US and abroad that are much nicer than the Martha and been treated with the respect a customer deserves. Don't waste your time going to the MWI spa - the staff is horrible.

• Stayed: April 2010
8  Thank S-Virginia
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I recently had advanced reservations, checking in on Friday and checking out Sunday. We arrived late Friday night, no valet attendent around, check in was easy. Upon entry into this mansion, you quickly realize that it is very old, but updated in several ways to keep it fresh. The indoor pool, outdoor jacuzzi is open 24 hours which was excellent. Included in the rate is free wireless internet that works well, valet parking, (or self parking), fitness center access and breakfast. The breakfast was very good.

What wasn't great: breakfast service was slow (by design for you to relax) and valet needs to be more attentive.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank jasontraci2006
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I am a Virginian, and as a consequence I like venerable, old, charming places. The Martha is a great building, with a wonderful history - and it's set in very charming Abingdon, which is really a jewel of architecture, history, and noble people. The Barter is a great footnote to the town, and located just across from The Martha. When making our reservations, I got a little puzzled - the lady taking my reservation was unable to give me a room in the area that I described, and she sort of blew off my concerns with, "why not just have an adventure?" Now - I travel on business. And "adventures" with hotels are a regular part of my life - but my leisure travel is another thing, entirely: I don't do "adventures"! We stay at The Martha every year and more often than not, twice a year - and I find that it's harder to get the room we'd like, even when I call several months in advance. I have no idea who they are saving these rooms for - the place is pretty deserted during the Thanksgiving holidays, and certainly not full in April of the year. One trip, we stayed in a lovely suite over the ballroom area of the hotel - and we were kept awake all night with noise from the orchestra, and inconsiderate people who had far too much to drink and were loud and obnoxious just underneath our room. I complained to the front desk, and they were not helpful at eliminating the problem. As a result, I check each year to find out if there is a partay planned for while we are there! We usually break our trip to Williamsburg there, so we are tired when we arrive and we have an early departure the next morning - so being kept up all night by noise is unacceptable. The front desk staff can be lovely, but they have a person or two on staff that are not friendly, are condescending, and seem to have a problem with being professionally kind. When you go, don't miss the gift shop! it's wonderful, the proprietress is a delight, and her taste and selection of gifts for her shop is beautiful. Give the downstairs deli a miss, however - not much going on there that you can't get down the street at some of the sandwich places and more charming shops.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynchburger
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Very friendly helpful staff. Excellent dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. Very nice decor. However the windows in the rooms don't open so you can't enjoy the nice mountain air. The room we were in (314) was stuffy and the A/C smelled. As we packed the next morning, we found a decomposing bad of baby carrots under the bed so the mystery of the stuffy room was solved however it would have been nice to have windows that opened.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Christopher is the manager and makes sure that his clients have the perfect stay. The hotel is luxurious without being too pricey. The food in the dining room and service is outstanding. We would definitely stay again and again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Hampton Inn Abingdon
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol

Been to The Martha Washington Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!