I am a Virginian, and as a consequence I like venerable, old, charming places. The Martha is a great building, with a wonderful history - and it's set in very charming Abingdon, which is really a jewel of architecture, history, and noble people. The Barter is a great footnote to the town, and located just across from The Martha. When making our reservations, I got a little puzzled - the lady taking my reservation was unable to give me a room in the area that I described, and she sort of blew off my concerns with, "why not just have an adventure?" Now - I travel on business. And "adventures" with hotels are a regular part of my life - but my leisure travel is another thing, entirely: I don't do "adventures"! We stay at The Martha every year and more often than not, twice a year - and I find that it's harder to get the room we'd like, even when I call several months in advance. I have no idea who they are saving these rooms for - the place is pretty deserted during the Thanksgiving holidays, and certainly not full in April of the year. One trip, we stayed in a lovely suite over the ballroom area of the hotel - and we were kept awake all night with noise from the orchestra, and inconsiderate people who had far too much to drink and were loud and obnoxious just underneath our room. I complained to the front desk, and they were not helpful at eliminating the problem. As a result, I check each year to find out if there is a partay planned for while we are there! We usually break our trip to Williamsburg there, so we are tired when we arrive and we have an early departure the next morning - so being kept up all night by noise is unacceptable. The front desk staff can be lovely, but they have a person or two on staff that are not friendly, are condescending, and seem to have a problem with being professionally kind. When you go, don't miss the gift shop! it's wonderful, the proprietress is a delight, and her taste and selection of gifts for her shop is beautiful. Give the downstairs deli a miss, however - not much going on there that you can't get down the street at some of the sandwich places and more charming shops.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- History and legends abound at this historic hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Hotels.com so you can book your The Martha Washington Inn and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Martha Washington Hotel Abingdon
- Martha Washington Hotel
- Martha Washington Inn Abingdon Va
- The Martha Washington Inn