“Mixed Reviews”

The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I am a Virginian, and as a consequence I like venerable, old, charming places. The Martha is a great building, with a wonderful history - and it's set in very charming Abingdon, which is really a jewel of architecture, history, and noble people. The Barter is a great footnote to the town, and located just across from The Martha. When making our reservations, I got a little puzzled - the lady taking my reservation was unable to give me a room in the area that I described, and she sort of blew off my concerns with, "why not just have an adventure?" Now - I travel on business. And "adventures" with hotels are a regular part of my life - but my leisure travel is another thing, entirely: I don't do "adventures"! We stay at The Martha every year and more often than not, twice a year - and I find that it's harder to get the room we'd like, even when I call several months in advance. I have no idea who they are saving these rooms for - the place is pretty deserted during the Thanksgiving holidays, and certainly not full in April of the year. One trip, we stayed in a lovely suite over the ballroom area of the hotel - and we were kept awake all night with noise from the orchestra, and inconsiderate people who had far too much to drink and were loud and obnoxious just underneath our room. I complained to the front desk, and they were not helpful at eliminating the problem. As a result, I check each year to find out if there is a partay planned for while we are there! We usually break our trip to Williamsburg there, so we are tired when we arrive and we have an early departure the next morning - so being kept up all night by noise is unacceptable. The front desk staff can be lovely, but they have a person or two on staff that are not friendly, are condescending, and seem to have a problem with being professionally kind. When you go, don't miss the gift shop! it's wonderful, the proprietress is a delight, and her taste and selection of gifts for her shop is beautiful. Give the downstairs deli a miss, however - not much going on there that you can't get down the street at some of the sandwich places and more charming shops.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynchburger

Reviewed October 22, 2009

Very friendly helpful staff. Excellent dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. Very nice decor. However the windows in the rooms don't open so you can't enjoy the nice mountain air. The room we were in (314) was stuffy and the A/C smelled. As we packed the next morning, we found a decomposing bad of baby carrots under the bed so the mystery of the stuffy room was solved however it would have been nice to have windows that opened.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Christopher is the manager and makes sure that his clients have the perfect stay. The hotel is luxurious without being too pricey. The food in the dining room and service is outstanding. We would definitely stay again and again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I stayed several years ago on business and brought my family back this year and it was as wonderful as I remembered. From the beautiful front entrance with large wrap around porch to the hardwood floors, beautiful tapistry and room after room of american and english history. We loved the afternoon tea, the library, walks down main street and proximity to the Barter Theater, the front poarch and comfy and lushish beds. The staffs was friendly and went out of their way to be helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2009

If you want a southern experience, this hotel might fit the bill. While the rooms are very tired and musty, the rest of the hotel made it worth the stay. First, there is a gorgeous, immense porch which sits high above the street catching the breeze and is a lovely place for a before dinner drink on a wicker chair. The salt water pool was in a delightful glass house and outside was a hot tub area which consisted of two large hot tubs in a picturesque patio with waterfalls and bubbles galore. The workout rooms had a variety of weights and machines though it was smallish (but not the worst by far). The glass walls made working out a pleasure. The library had a great selection of books and games and these could be purchased which was a nice option for those who wanted to keep the material. The food was delicious and breakfast was almost obscene we had so much to eat! We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Stayed at the Inn on the way to dropping son off at college. We were upgraded to a double queen room on arrival, very large room, very comfortable. Ate dinner in the restaurant bar and recieved wonderful service by the bartender. Food was hearty and reasonably priced. Shrimp with grits and other comfort food items available on menu. Our room also included a plated breakfast in the morning. A slight mixup in room service dessert resulted in a complimentary dessert. Over all a great overnight in a charming old historic Inn. Will definitely stay again.

Also great pool fitness rooms and spa

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2009

The meal was excellent... my wife sent her hlf of our steak BACK to be made "well done." BUT she ALWAYS wants it WELL DONE; so it's a common complaint.

Since the steak was perhaps 2 inches thick; would wonder WHAT if it were halved (for the two of us) by making it THINNER!!!??? Has your chef tried that? NOT being a cook... I don't know IF that could help. When I fix them on our outdoor grill; I simply BURN them!!! But, I don't think what we get at Kroger's is as THICK as yours.

NOW to the IMPORTANT part; "I" can hardly have a meal WITHOUT bread!!! You might say I was "shocked" when I asked the waitress for some bread tat her response was, "We don't serve bread." "I" can't think of a restaurant; particularly on your SCALE that doesn't serve bread... Recently ate at Red Lobster; their "rolls/or biscuits (not sure WHAT category they fall under) are DELICIOUS... they serve them at the BEGINNING of the meal... can "munch" them eat with BOTH salad AND the meal!!!

At "O'Charley's" they bring HOT rolls to "munch" while the entree is being prepared... if getting their SOUP (potato) special; NO crackers are needed !!

Anyway, WE have dscussed your "NO BREAD" situationextensively since returning. I KNOW (from my standpoint) THAT this will be a MAJOR factor in our "eating decision" should we attend the Barter Theater and decide to eat at your place!!!

OTHER than this; service, quality/quantity were EXCELLENT!!!

Buford Rowe
Knoxville, TN

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Hampton Inn Abingdon
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to The Martha Washington Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!