“Wow!!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Charlottesville
“Wow!!”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

What a great getaway. We stayed 3 nights and my only complaint is that I couldn't stay longer! We were greeted by an enthusiastic staff including a valet, bellman and front desk clerk that made check-in a breeze. Our newly renovated room was ready, quiet, clean and gorgeous. The king size bed was soft, warm and covered with inviting pillows. The bathroom was spacious and equipped with dual shower heads that provided an unexpected level of comfort and luxury. The “his and hers” robes were a nice amenity and “aveda” brand soaps and shampoos were a lovely touch that made an impression on us.

The staff was helpful in making reservations at the nearby theatre where we saw a great rendition of a “Christmas Carole”. During our stay we also enjoyed a couple’s massage that truly exceeded our expectations. The workout area was nicely equipped and the bottled water was a nice touch. The pool area and hot tubs were lovely and had great views. Overall, our spa experience was excellent.

Lastly, I must comment on the restaurants; the food and staff were phenomenal. We ate all of meals except one in the hotel and were overwhelmed by quality and spirited staff. After dinner each night, we had a glass of port in the library by the fire – a nice touch indeed!

I highly recommend the Martha Washington Inn.

Room Tip: The front desk clerk knew every room in the house and can advise you. Just ask.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CvilleVATraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Dandridge, Tennessee
Reviewed December 8, 2011

My wife and I were married 26 years ago, and spent our wedding night in what was then the Bridal Suite, now it is called the Barter Suite. I made the trip from Knoxville, TN to make the reservation to book the same room for our anniverisy. I had called erlier and talked to Carroll, and also booked the suite with her upon my visit.

When we arrived, we were told that there was a plumbing issue with the room, and we were having to be moved. We accepted, and moved. THEN ON THE WAY BACK FRO THE PLAY FRom THE BARTER, we saw people in the room that we booked and paid for. the next morning, we obsered a man drinking coffee, ans smokiking a cigetette on the private balcony.

When we checked out, and commented on our concerns, we were then told that a electrial problem was the problem!! This is a far cry from from a plumbing problem. I am an electrical, plumbing, mechanial contractor.

I feel that I spent close to 1K for two days at your inn, that could have been spent on another cruise. We will never spend another night at your Inn. I wll not deal with lying to my clients by my staff to any client, but, I KNOW I was lied to.
Jim Hopson

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
19 Thank Jim H
Tennessee
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Oh so close to being better than average. This hotel and spa can be likened to a football team that does well getting to the goal line but lacks the enthusiasm, talent and desire to score. Maintenance issues with the building and grounds, a somewhat blase check in and valet staff, and a expensive dining room menu. Having said this, however, the hotel has the charm only found in a historic property with antiques, art work etc. that allows for a step back in time. Being across the street from The Barter Theatre is a plus as is the proximity to other attractions and restaurants along Main Street and the historic district.

Room Tip: Spend the few dollars to upgrade to a Delux King and attempt to avoid having children in the room ab...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Front Royal
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We not only stayed in this hotel but hosted our wedding reception here. This inn is top notch. We stayed in a guest room (222) one night and moved to the Governor's Suite (300) on our wedding night. Both rooms were fantastic, but if you can afford the suite, stay in it! I felt like a queen in it and would have moved in if they'd have let me. The service received from the staff was fabulous. The inn itself is well-maintained with lots of character. When they say they balance the old with the new, they do. The food there is wonderful, both in the restaurant, deli, and what was served at our reception. We used the spa services as well for hair, nails, etc. and were pleased. Love, love, love this inn!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank virginiahighlander
Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This hotel merits a five-star rating, rather than a four, just because of the marvelous restoration work done to bring this fine, old complex of buildings back to vigorous life. But there's more, of course: spacious, well-appointed rooms; an extremely friendly and helpful staff; a surprisingly good pair of weight/exercise rooms; a fine pool; a spa that my wife found to be a pleasant surprise, given its location in "remote" southwestern Virginia; and a general sense of time and place that just works. We stayed in a deluxe room--and would do so again (well worth the nightly rate). If you're headed to Abingdon, really, this is by far the best choice you could make--because of the hotel itself; because of its perfect location catty-corner from the Barter Theater (which does startlingly good productions) and because it's just a few blocks from the town's best restaurants--which are very good, indeed. Speaking of restaurants, though, we did not eat at "Sisters" in the hotel for dinner. A so-so in-house breakfast, weak service, weaker coffee and the restaurant's unfortunate 1970s Holiday Inn decor sent us elsewhere--so the five stars is for the hotel, not the restaurant (we ate at The Tavern and at The House on Main, both of which were excellent, if in very different ways). And speaking of decor, our only complaint about the hotel's refurbishment is the bizarre mix of quality historical prints, photos and documents on the walls in the main-floor corridors with, in the upstairs corridors, some of the worst faux "paintings" I've ever encountered outside of a trailer-court yard-sale (and the very worst "art" was in the restaurant--discount-furniture-mart junk that went beyond visually annoying to downright offensive to the senses). I except The Library, a wonderful off-the-lobby room, from all such criticism. Yes, I'm being picky--specifically because I gave this otherwise-excellent hotel five stars--and would like to see the owners introduce some less-tacky art work in the hallways...a small thing, but it does detract from the atmosphere.

Room Tip: Spring for a deluxe room--and carve out at least a little time to sit on the grand verandah in front...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ralph1952
Upton, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My husband and I just spent a long weekend at the Spa. The hotel is lovely, the staff was great and the location couldn't be better - easy to walk around town and close enough to drive to some of the more scenic areas. My only complaint (otherwise I would have given the hotel a 5), was the Spa. I had booked a reservation for myself and friend (who was getting married) in the Spa, when we showed up an error had been made with the scheduling - they recorded the wrong date. I was surprised and disappointed at the lack of customer focus - the staff was unwilling to acknowledge an error had been made or try to remedy the situation. Fortunately for us, the Mane Street Day Spa just down the road was more than willing to accomodate us as walk-ins. As we told the staff at the Inn, we were more than happy to spend our money elsewhere and were pleased with how accomodating the Mane Street Spa was.

As I checked out four days later I was asked about my visit, I explained how much we enjoyed staying at the Inn with the exception of the Spa - the receptionist was upset and asked what could be done - my comment was that I appreciated her attempt to remedy the situation, but the Spa had four days to ask the same question. Sadly, they never did.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Kate B
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2011

The facility is beautiful and well preserved.... the front porch being one of the areas to enjoy.

The restaurant service at dinner and breakfast was just average for sure.... maybe we just expected more. Not inexpensive either...

Room Tip: some rooms are small... so ask to be sure.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank bmwbillk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Hampton Inn Abingdon
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to The Martha Washington Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!