“Rip-off”

Yankee Village Motel
Yankee Village Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ascutney
Reviewed February 4, 2008

This place is a rip-off. They charge one rate for smokers and a higher rate for non-smokers. Their explanation is that non-smokers are in the new rooms and the smokers are delegated to the old. You cannot use the online coupon for 15% off a one night stay if you make a reservation. This is not stated anywhere on the website or the coupon. This discount is only for walkins.

The reservation was never confirmed even though the website states to wait for it. We never ended up staying at the motel because I was injured while skiing and need to head straight home. We had stopped at the motel to let them know that we would not be staying out of consideration and to use our coupon. This was when we found that it was invalid.

We ski quite a bit in that area but I will never ever consider staying there.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Memae

Reviewed October 24, 2007

we stayed there more then three times as we call &booked a room.but every time if we asked for anything they always ready
for give extra .we had wonderfull night .a room was clean and everything look new because they r under remolding.u can get sleep without noise.they have a nice goodybag for guest in a room.nice wall colour.i recomadate motel for stay......

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 11, 2007

Simply put the Yankee Motel was disgusting.

My husband and I walked into a smoking room and it smelled like it had never been aired out EVER! We almost couldn't get past the nasty stench (and I am a smoker). If it had not been so late we were going to go to the local gas station and get a car air freshner to mask the smell. Our only source of heat was a square electric heater sitting on top of a table. (From reading other people's reviews - I shall consider my self lucky that I did not have to call up to the front to request heat!) There was rust on the mattresses from the springs, burns in all the bedding. The bottom sheet was clean enough to lay on but I used our winter coats and ski jackets as blankets because the rest of the bedding was foul. Towels - none, which was okay because there was NO WAY we were going to use their NASTY shower. The smoke dectector was in a draw with no batteries. You could see car lights beeming underneath the door - the gap was probably 1 to 1.5". There were exposed pipes and wires everywhere. As my husband says it was a "rat trap". I can not believe that they have not been shut down. I am sure they have more than one voliation going on in that place.

I wish I had looked at TripAdvisor before I booked this nightmare.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank katz0911
A TripAdvisor Member
Owings Mills
Reviewed December 25, 2005

My God this place has RATS and cockroaches!Dont bring your small pet or children here.And the best part is it's nasty and gross and over priced and the people are rude! And they control the heat in there nice warm house while we froze.I talked to others here spending the night and they all said the same things.This place needs to be closed down!
Ascutney is beautiful though and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 14, 2005

Come visit yankee village motel in beautiful Ascutney,Vt! But dont let the nice looking outside of this well maintained motel fool you.Your best bet is to ask to see your room befor you pay for it as there is no refunds once you enter "hell"slumlord motel USA.This place is a ideal place if your a slob,dont mind filth,stains on your sheets and bed spread,stains everywhere,hairs in the shower and tollet..and no heat as the heat is controled by the owner in his nice warm home.Complaining wont do you no good.You will either get a smart a-- remark or a "ohh i have a problem and it will be fixed soon.The problem is called"cheap" If you love your children and even your pet,please dont bring them here,they dont deserve this filth and possiability of geting asthama like ours did.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank doggiedoor
A TripAdvisor Member
Dillsboro,NC
Reviewed December 13, 2005

Was charged $90 for a Sat night for a single.walked into my room and couldn't belive my eyes,On your photos you show here and saying a great bargin,needs to checked out befor you posted for others to see.Trust me,photos on the internet dont show the nasty carpet,the nasty black mold in the shower and bath tubs and on the shower curtin,the photos dont show the scalp and pubic hairs still attached to the shower and tab walls,it dont show the bare wires coming from the 1950's wall heaters and mising the knob to turn it off and on,it dont show the stains on the old sheets and bed spreds,it dont show the left over food stains and particals in the refrig and microwave,it dont show any of the exstream filth.You want to say here you beeter bring some extra money,you better go sheck the room befor you pay as you will NOT get your money back if you are only in the room 5 mins,You better plan on paying a deposit on your tel so you can use it,you better plan on if staying in the winter to freezing.Your pet is welcome,but plan on another $10+ but trust me your pet wont hurt this place and i can guarantee you will find pet hairs and p--- from the last pets.The things used to clean this place is just plain rags and windex and cheap brand orange cleaner.NO bleach nothing to kill the toxic molds growing in the bath rooms. I say if the health department came here or even triple AAA this place would close in a heartbeat.I rate this place at 10+ below terriable.One good thing though nice air conditioners and TV:) And the owners try to act nice to get your money.My wife and i are retired.I surely will warn all my friends about this"dump"

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2005

Let me just start by stating the difference between inexpensive and cheap. Inexpensive is a clean, well maintained room at a price that won't break your wallet. Cheap is a disgusting, somewhat unsafe room with a very low price. My family stayed at this 'cheap' motel because we were not planning to spend alot of time there, we were just using it to sleep. When we pulled up to the motel we thought it was rustic. After we checked in however, things went downhill quicker than the black diamond trail on Mt. Ascutney. It was raining heavily and the roof leaked into the interior wall cavity and so we heard a drip all night long. The window in the bathroom did not lock and had a large crack in it. There was something quite gross (I still wretch when I think of it) on the vinyl blind in the bathroom. The sheet has what looked like blood on it. The bedspread when turned down had more stains on it than I care to think about. We removed it immediately. The bottom sheet was clean however, when you laid on it you could see through to the mattress cover and again, more stains than I wanted to know about. The only cover we had that we could 'safely' use was shredding everywhere and we kept getting caught up in the strings. The bathroom had an exposed electrical outlet that was right over the sink. I honestly can't believe that the Ascutney code department would have approved this. My brothers room was just as bad. His sheets however did not even cover the bed. At the bottom of the mattress were towels to stretch the distance. We were supposed to have a non-smoking room but instead we got a smoking room and the room next door was being lived in and the renter was a smoker. We know this because of the cigarette smoke that came through the wall cavity between our bathroom and the room next door. No lying here, you could actually see the smoke coming through. The TV, microwave, and coffee maker were all on the same wall circuit and everytime the ref came on the tv went dead. Scary. The road noise was extremely loud due to the plastic extenders on the window air conditioner. The room temperature was regulated by the front office so we called for more heat but around 2 am the room temp dropped back down and didn't return back up. Needless to say we checked out the next morning and went to the Ascutney Mountain Resort which I will post a review on the that resort. I am going to notify someone in Ascutney that this place needs to be raised and rebuilt or just plain shut down. Though the management says they are in the process of rebuilding but these rooms had already been redone. Now I know why I couldn't find this hotel on any websites. I just hope we didn't bring anything home with us...

• Stayed: November 2005
11  Thank trumansmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascutney
Holiday Inn Express Springfield
Ludlow Colonial Motel
Element Hanover-Lebanon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Hanover Inn Dartmouth
Hanover Inn Dartmouth
#1 of 2 in Hanover
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort

Been to Yankee Village Motel? Share your experiences!