“Great Find”

The Ira Allen House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 8 Arlington B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 22, 2013

A very comfortable place to stay in a most interesting historic B&B. Innkeepers Kevin and Michael were very welcoming, friendly, helpful and informative. We thoroughly enjoyed our delicious breakfasts. Everything was fresh and had been purchased locally. We will definitely recommend this B&B to friends and will certainly stay here again when we are in the area.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

The owners were so nice to talk to every morning. They filled us in on the sources of our breakfast ingredients and just had cool conversations in general. All of the yogurt and fruit was acquired locally. They served THE BEST blueberry pancakes I've ever had (and I used to be pretty darn proud of my own before this) We always found yummy snacks in the lounge area, like freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, lemon bars and fruit. The rooms are cozy and three of them can accomodate two couples comfortably as they have two bedrooms. The bathrooms had pretty-smelling toiletries and egyptian cotton towels; they even had bug spray in the lounge that is made of natural essential oils. The owners even let us borrow their canoe for a ride in the river one morning. Loved The Ira Allen House, wish we didn't have to leave.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I were married at The Hill Farm Inn 10 years ago. I had to make an unexpected trip to rescue my 6 year old from a camping trip gone bad and discovered Hill Farm was closed due to renovations. I was heartbroken. I called many places to get a last minute reservation and came upon The Ira Allen House. I noticed for some odd reason they had one room for the exact two nights I needed. It was destiny! I reached out in desperation and in about 10 minutes received an email back from the innkeeper, Kevin. Prayers answered and my son was soon to be saved! I guess since it was late and the room was a last minute cancellation, I didn't have much of an expectation. I was just so thankful there was "room at the inn", lol. I really didn't care much of what I had to sleep in. I let out a huge gasp when I walked thru the door. I can not describe how charming, how warm, how you just feel like home when you step thru the door. The cookie aroma was intoxicating and Kevin slipped out of the kitchen with a huge smile. I knew instantly that I was in Vermont heaven. The food was amazing, the room was beyond words and all of the guys were wonderful to my son. They are very kid friendly unlike most of the surrounding inns. Thanks Mike, I think I gained 5 pounds in 2 days from the cookies. I booked again for October and will return for many, many years. They also have a lush green area across the street with a swing, screened in gazebo and a canoe to paddle down a lovely stream. I really hope no one saw me almost tip it over trying to get it. Maybe I'll let my husband and little boy take that ride alone next time. If you have a chance to stay here and pass it up, you are really missing a lifetime memory.

Room Tip: The Remember Baker Room sleeps 4 very comfortably, has a wonderful private back porch and beautiful...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My mom and I had such a wonderful time at the Ira Allen House that we didn't want to leave!! We arrived late on Friday night to a warm welcome by Michael and his homemade cookies! Kevin and Michael (and I won't forget Tim) have done such a great job in the short time they've owned the b&b - they are a perfect fit! Kevin and Tim's cooking was great - rumor has it that they serve great dinners, too, but we didn't sample those on this trip. We did, however, laugh until we cried at breakfast with the other guests and with Kevin!

The house itself is warm and inviting, and has such great history. There is a beautiful lawn across the street, right on the river - a great spot to sit in the evening, and also to play family games. See the photos - they have a canoe and a hammock...very relaxing!

We can't say enough great things - experience this b&b and its wonderful new owners for yourself!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Ira Allen Suite, which was just perfect - two bedrooms, one bathroom and a sitting...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We met friends to spend the weekend in the Bennington/Manchester area, and we stayed here. Michael and Kevin were wonderful. The homemade cookies were a huge hit with the men in our group (I'm allergic to nuts and the other woman is gluten intolerant-so we had to pass on the cookies). But breakfasts were amazing. It's not easy cooking for someone with food allergies and someone who's gluten intolerant while making several meals for all the other guests; their efforts were greatly appreciated (blueberry pancakes turned into blueberry-free pancakes for me, gluten-free pancakes for my friend, and blueberry for the guys--and that was just for the four of us).

I loved the house with the sloopy floors and hand-hewn ceiling beams. But we had a room in the front of the house and, yes, there is traffic. I had some foam earplugs that helped greatly, but if you're sensitive to outside noise you may want a room in the back of the house.

The other guests were friendly and clearly enjoyed themselves. Kevin and Michael obviously work very hard to provide a comfortable environment for everyone. And we never saw the cats--heard them in the morning running around in the rooms overhead--but no sightings. We'll definitely return.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I decided to spend our 11th anniversary up in VT at the Ira Allen House (with our 4 small children in tow). We had the most marvelous weekend and we can't say enough positive things about the owners and their property. We and our children were greeted warmly by Kevin, Michael and Tim and the amenities were perfect for a family. We stayed in the Remember Baker Suite. It couldn't have been any cleaner or more comfortable. The children had their own attached room and our room had its own private entrance in through the back of the house. They are very accommodating to families traveling with kids and had the necessary high chairs, pack -n-plays, puzzles, swings and other fun games out on the lawn in order to entertain the brood. My children and husband even went tubing down the Battenkill (using the Inn's tubes) and we all tried our hand at the canoe. The grassy area across the street is perfect for a picnic, relaxing, fishing, swinging or playing a game of bocce on the new court. We ate dinner at the inn on Saturday night and the food was AMAZING! The homemade macaroni and cheese was the best I've ever eaten in my life and the fresh gazpacho, ribs and blueberry pie were also divine. Most of the dinner ingredients were obtained locally or right from the owner's garden. Our breakfast the next morning was also incredible and the kids enjoyed the special filled pancakes and animal trinkets on their glasses that were made just for them.
These owners really know what hospitality is all about. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed at the Ira Allen House Bed and Breakfast for three nights mainly because it is across the road from Battenkill Canoe where I took some private lessons (very successfully).

To my great delight the library had fascinating information on the original owner who played a decisive role in the American Revolution. In addition, this is a farm to table place with outstanding food. The decor was beautifully done. The three refined gentlemen who manage the place customized my stay and were very friendly but not intrusive. They even packed me a lunch to take to the canoe. Since I am a Manhattanite without a car (and didn't want to rent one that time) this was a huge comfort. An unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: I had a view of the River from my room. You might ask for that.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arlington
Hampton Inn & Suites Manchester
Inn on Covered Bridge Green
Wilburton Inn
Wilburton Inn
#4 of 12 in Manchester

Been to The Ira Allen House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!