“Rockin' at the Rockin' R”
Review of Rockin R Ranch

Rockin R Ranch
Eagle River, AK
“Rockin' at the Rockin' R”
Reviewed July 31, 2007

Our family has been going to family reunions at the Rockin R Ranch for many years. In fact, we are going again this year and we are really excited to have a great time as usual. We love the fact that we can all fit in one place and enjoy each others company in a beautiful setting. The food has always been good and the rooms comfortable and clean. We always look forward to the horse back rides and our only complaint is that we are not allowed to run the horses on the trail ride, but that is for our own safety. Last year, my daughter who knows how to handle a horse got permission to run the horse in the arena. She was thrilled about that. My youngest daughter loves the pony rides and can't wait until she's old enough to go on the trail. She spends alot of time in the petting barn and loves to visit the horses at the corral. My older kids had a great time going tubing. Last year, for the first time, a group of us, including my 6 year old daughter, went on a morning hike up Antimony Canyon. It was beautiful and fun. My daughter had fun filling her pockets with colorful rocks which she insisted on bringing back home with her. Back at the Ranch, my teenagers have fun playing "round-the-world" ping pong, shooting a game of pool, and just hanging out with their cousins. We always take advantage of the huge front lawn to play some games that we have organized. The Lodge is beautiful and offers plenty of space for our family to gather as a group. Overall, we have had a great time at the Rockin R Ranch and recommend it to all.

• Liked — Fun activities, room for everyone
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank shaunainalaska

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oregon
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Please, people-- save your money and go somewhere else. We just got home from a 3-day family reunion at the Rockin' R and while it was nice to congregate with our huge family in one place, the place itself was gross. I enjoy "rustic" and I can rough it with the best of them, but this place was just poorly run and filthy. The main problem seems to stem from a total lack of organization. The employees were in a constant state of confusion, and we saw employee disputes on a daily basis. The whole place was dirty-- even to the point of large accumulations of bat poop on the second floor. The whole time we did not see anyone cleaning, even once, with the exception of wiping off a couple of the dining tables. There was NO AIR CONDITIONING even tho it was supposed to have some in a few rooms (this, in the summer in southern Utah?). It was unbearably hot in the rooms-- even with the fans we brought with us. The food was low quality to begin with, and then if we didn't eat it all it was put out for the next couple of days. There were moldy buns and stale bread, and overall just gross cafeteria food. The "hamburger" night there were no buns at all, just stale wheat bread, and we were told they were to be "open face"-- to only take one piece of bread! The whole place was just tacky and dirty. Oh, and the kids found a dead goat's leg and started running around with it! I did hear the river tubing was fun, but the hike we went on that was supposed to be basically just a walk suitable even for little kids, ended up to be a two and a half hour trek through a beautiful canyon, involving scrambling up and down rocks and walking across a log over the river. My six year old son literally got heat stroke by the time we got back-- was pale, vomiting, etc. My father in law and his mom both were injured on the hike by the tricky terrain. The little kids were having to be carried and the adults were exhausted. Oh, and the employees all looked like they had just rolled out of bed-- unbrushed hair, baggy pants, etc. The cook walked out on the second day, and confusion reigned the whole time. The bedding looked like it came straight from Goodwill, and we had to bring our own towels and soap! The rooms were tiny, the beds old and uncomfortable, and the bathrooms microscopic. The showers alternately scalded and froze us. There was a tiny, gross pond to "swim" in, filled with algae and grass. The trail rides were literally nose to tail. The horse I was on had two shoes on, two off with the nails still imbedded in the hoof. The hay ride was pulled by a truck. I would NEVER recommend this, and in fact I'll be reporting this place to the Utah Dept. of Health. DON'T GO THERE!

• Liked — nothing!
  • Disliked — everything!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank oregontamara
NYC
Reviewed July 11, 2007

Well, we had a large family reunion here and lets just say...it was not a "rockin" good time. The food was terrible and they ran out of it! We were told to expect many different activities, and only 2 actually happened, horseback riding and river tubing. Both of those events were fun when they finally happened, but everything at the Rockin R happens in fits and starts. Don't stay here until they have a major over haul of the staff and ownership. The location is lovely and like I said, the riding and tubing was fun, but this was not worth the expense. Boo! Good thing I love my family so much-they were the best part!

• Liked — Ummm....I'm thinking....
  • Disliked — Ummm....not enough room....
  • Stayed July 2007
5 Thank angelbam
Cedar Hills, Utah
Reviewed July 5, 2006

This place is a Dump with a capital D. It is dirty, in disrepair (the headboard on my bed was being held in place by the night stand), and shabbily decorated. My room was so small that there was barely enough room for the two full sized beds (not queens as I had assumed).

The food was so terrible that I can't begin to convey it. While they describe the food on their website as "good, down-to-earth, savory home cooking" don't believe that. We were served the same things the next day if we didn't finish the first time around and they even ground up the hamburgers served for lunch into the chile that evening. Salad is ice berg lettuce with a few tomatoes thrown in. I saw nothing like the "turkey, stuffing, yams, barbecued chicken with baked beans and corn on the cob" promised on their website but instead was delighted with cold tater tots, runny eggs, and mystery meat that I was afraid to touch. Worst of all, there are signs forbiding you to take no more than one of most items (not saying that you'd want to but it still smacks of rudeness). If you don't heed the signs (my son tried to take two rolls), there are staff members on guard watching you who get on your case if you take too much. Funny since their website suggests " Don’t forget second helpings!"

I heartily recommend that you stay very far away from this place. I can hardly believe we wasted a thousand dollars on three lousy days there.

• Stayed July 2006
12 Thank janiebee21
simplejoy, Manager at Rockin R Ranch, responded to this review, September 20, 2007
My name is Roy D.Myers, I came in as manager of the Rockin R Ranch in late July 2007. I visited the ranch previous to taking over and I would agree with some of the derogatory comments, but not all. The purpose of the ranch is not ot provide 4 or 5 star accomodations, it is to give the guest the best possible idea of what a family owned cattle ranch would be like. I have worked hard to organize schedules so that each person and family can get the activities they desire. I find that those who complain are those who expect candles on the table and a waiter with pad in hand. I have been working up to 16 hours per day to oversee the kitchen personnel in preparation of meals. We now are on the road to organized meals with consistent quality. Our cooks have many years of experience and love to cook for the guests. We accomodate requests for birthdays, making cakes and I have seen a great deal of satisfaction come to those who visit with expectations of having good clean family fun. Our two bands entertain at least 3 nights a week and I have been complimented highly on those efforts. I can see that the Rockin R is not for the elite visitor, just this week I was glad to see a complaining visitor leave due to overexpectations. We cannot entertain 16 hours a day, it is just impossible to take complete responsiblitiy for your experience. Those visitors who do take that responsibility have gone away as lifetime friends. I have enjoyed the European visitors this summer, they appreciate their once in a lifetime opportunity to ride, dance, hike and just relax in the perfect country setting. Last night September 20, 2007 as I galloped acrossed a grass field with two visitors from Holland I saw the joy that we as spoiled Americans cannot seem to grasp. Whine if you want, but there are more smiles than whiners at plain old Rockin R Ranch. Come see for yourself!

Been to Rockin R Ranch? Share your experiences!