“So much fun”
Review of Rockin' R Ranch

Rockin' R Ranch
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We brought a big Youth Group to the Rockin R Ranch in June. The kids (ages 12-18) has the best time. There were non-stop activities to choose from such as horse-back riding, rafting, swimming and lots of fun western activities that you can only experience on a dude ranch. Everyone was happily surprised with how nice the lodging was -- very clean and the service was excellent. I would highly recommend the Rockin R Ranch. We had a great time. It was the kind of experience that we will always remember and laugh about.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank Utahcowgirl

Reviewed July 9, 2008

We stayed at the Rockin R Ranch for one week and loved it! This is a real working ranch so the accomodations are rustic and simple...as it should be for this type of ranch. The staff is warm, very friendly, flexible, and easy going. There is a lot of freedom and the staff is willing to change scheduled activities to meet guests' needs. We are a family of five (9 year old daughter, 13 year old son, & 16 year old daughter) and we all enjoyed the ranch especially our 16 year old who had initially been very skeptical about the ranch before we got there. We felt like we were not only on a ranch but part of the ranch life. We all want to go back to the Rockin R!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank seligloma
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We took a group of 34 people(28 youth ages 14-18 and 6 adults) to the Ranch and had an absolutely GREAT TIME. From the moment we arrived we were treated with the utmost courtesy and professionalism. The ranch manager, J. R. Alexander, his wife Jana and the rest of the staff at the ranch are truly a class act. They put together a wonderful itinerary for us and were busy and entertained from start to end. The arena activities were great. The calf-riding, sheep riding, sheep dressing, and the rest of the activities were fabulous. The horseback riding was fun, the tubing was a BLAST, the relays and all the activities in general were well organized, supervised by a very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff and made our stay a memory of a lifetime. The rooms were clean, the food was great and abundant, and the total environment was perfect.

On this website there are other reviews with some negative comments about the ranch, the staff and the accommodations. Needless to say, we were a bit nervous about what lay in store for us. I am happy to say that we found NONE of the negative comments on this site to be applicable to our time at the ranch. On the contrary, our experience was the total opposite. We had a GREAT time. All 34 of us enjoyed the time and are deeply appreciative to the management and the staff for making our stay so enjoyable. If you are looking for a 6 star hotel where the doormen wear white gloves and a top hat, go to New York, Paris or Los Angeles, however, if you are looking for a fantastic time where instead of the white gloves and top hat, the staff is wearing leather gloves and a cowboy hat, you’ve hit paradise. We all HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Rockin R Ranch and hope to be able to return soon!!

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank JDH77
Reviewed March 12, 2008

My family and I spent a few days down at the Rockin' R Ranch for a family reunion last year. My kids had a fantastic time exploring the grounds, playing on the playground and having fun with the farm animals. I really enjoyed the middle-of-nowhere location and natural surroundings. It was very relaxing and refreshing.

The Rockin' R really is a fully functional ranch—more so than I anticipated. The ranch hands, cooks and wranglers were not just there to create ambiance but were all working hard at their jobs, something you could tell they did whether there were guests or not. I liked the super-rustic, work-in-progress feel to the ranch. Nothing was over embellished. I really felt like I was on a farm, enjoying life as it was known for many years out in the West: raw, unvarnished and true-to-life.

A word of advice to any would-be visitors: don't go with the expectation of 4-star hotel amenities. That isn't the point of this place. The Rockin' R is an experience of life as it used to be, with all the simplicity and fun that were part of a quieter time in history. The rooms are decent, the beds sufficient and the food is good. But the place and the experience are priceless. I loved the uniqueness of the ranch and would recommend it to anyone looking for the same.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ChiqueC
Reviewed February 15, 2008

We had our family reunion at the ranch last fall and we had a most enjoyable time. It was a great place to connect with cousins I haven't seen in a while. The staff was friendly and helpful and the scenery was beautiful. My kids loved the horses and my daughter won't stop talking about getting her own horse someday. The thing I liked the most about the ranch was that we could all fit in one place with the bedrooms just down the hall. We've been other places before where everyone has their own cabin and it isn't the same feeling. I would recommend the RockinR in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank funguyUSA
Reviewed January 10, 2008

We planned on staying here for 3 nights as part of a road trip of Western USA. We had no expectations of grandeur and were ready for some adventure. Well it was an experience I can tell you that!!

Upon check-in we were asked to sign a disclaimer that basically waived the property of any responsibility of injury due to their staff neglect. I had to look at it twice to confirm what I was reading. When I refused to sign they went away, then came back with another document that had the staff neglect bit removed. Hmmm.

Anyhow we were hungry so went to the dining area. Woah! The flies in this place were everywhere. All over the buffet slop that passed for traditional western fare. It was truly disgusting and unedible. To be fair to the manager she made us a steak instead - I have to say I got the impression she was embarassed about the place!

So, one steak later we go to our room. Oh man. It's tiny. The bathroom is unusable and the curtains dont close properly (they fell down). Never mind it's 100 degrees out and the aircon is just about working. Right? Nope, it's shared aircon and they turn it off at 9pm. Jeez it's hot. Oh and the walls are paper thin so we can hear the guy on the treadmill below for the next 2 hours; and the reunion party in a building 200 yards away because every building is connected by some kind of piping system. So come 2am we're sat putside (cos its cooler and quieter) and we go see the manageress. She tries everything she can to get us in somewhere else but everywhere is full. The only positive comment I can make about this hell hole is that she tried to help us escape. We did get out of there the next day and the Moab hotel we stayed in may as well have been the Ritz! Forget any comments management may make about expectations - a McDonalds and a Tent would have been 5* compared to this place.

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank eaglesrest2
Reviewed August 27, 2007

We stayed at the ranch and while we enjoyed the company of our family the place was horrible. The rooms were very small with very old dirty linens. Most rooms did not have air conditioning and when we would open our window it meant that the rain came in on our heads. The food was absolutely the worst I have ever paid for in my life. Uneaten food was reused for 3 days with certain dishes. Our own family member went into the kitchen one morning and cooked breakfast herself for the family. I never saw a person once cleaning anything, carpeting, dusting -nothing. The tubing was great fun, and that guy was great. With the horse backriding, while the staff were very nice and kind I found the horses were not properly cinced and we had a few in our group had their saddles start sliding off and had to be tightened. In another group, one member had their saddle fall off and needed stitches in her head. We had to beg daily for our groups schedule and basically formulate it ourself. The lower tiered staff were always nice and polite but the management lacked enormously. They went through some staff changes while we were there, which feuled some problems, but the owners who were present seemed oblivious to the general surroundings and condition of the facility. I don't think they are capable of seeing the big picture and they thought everything was fine. The setting was beautiful, but the lack pf program and horrible, horrible food will keep us away for ever.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank travelerwest

Been to Rockin' R Ranch? Share your experiences!