“If you expect customer service - this isn't the place for you”

Alta Peruvian Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Specialty Lodging in Alta
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“If you expect customer service - this isn't the place for you”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Stayed with college friends on our annual ski trip.....didn't expect luxury, but at least expected some customer service and the bare minimum in services. Wireless internet was listed as a service....well in 4 days - it worked 1/2 a day. Despite numerous complaints from guests, they failed to fix it in a timely manner. We had 5 guests in a 2 bedroom suite (paid $1100/night including food) and never once were enough towels delivered (had to call every morning). Guests arriving 30 minutes after breakfast started waited 20 minutes for food (buffet). The bar in the hotel closed at 10pm - ok, it's Utah, but 10pm? When I complained, stated we wouldn't be back, and listed all the issues (left out the Utah comment) and suggested a discount would be appropriate, the manager, Mr. Collins, said "since your not coming back, I'm not doing anything for you," and turned his back and walked away. Not only are we not going back, I encourage you to think twice about staying here. If you want Alta - try one of the other alternatives - but not the Peruvian. Ok - one good thing - the dinners were very good and the wait staff was also very good and very friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank skiwestus
altapski, General Manager at Alta Peruvian Lodge, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
As manager of the Alta Peruvian Lodge, I would like to respond to this review. First, I wish to apologize to all of our guests who experiences problems with our free wireless internet service that weekend. We had recently recognized that the increase in the amount of our guests’ wireless devices was beginning to periodically overwhelm the ability of our modem and DSL lines. At the time of this reviewer’s stay, we were in the process of trying to beef up our system, but unfortunately our efforts were not timely enough for some of the guests staying with us that weekend. Since then, we have strengthened the ability of our modem to handle the usage that our guests demand, and we will soon be increasing the signals even more so that our entire building will have access to free wireless internet.
Regarding the towels that we provide for our guestrooms, it is apparent that we were having some issues with some of our housekeeping employees, but these problems have been rectified.
Regarding our breakfast buffet, there are times when there are an exceptionally large amount of guests arriving at the beginning of the mealtime, which depletes the amount of fresh food we have on the buffet to begin with, and so sometimes there is a delay in serving additional freshly cooked food. This is an exception, not the rule, and we are continually assessing how we can better respond to our guests needs.
Our bar is closed at 10pm, not because we are in Utah as is suggested by the review, but because of where the bar is located in our building. There are several guestrooms in close proximity to the bar, and we close at 10pm in order to make sure that the lodge is quiet at a reasonable time, so that our guests can get a good night’s sleep.
I appreciate the reviewer’s positive comment regarding our dining room’s food and staff. We are a traditional ski lodge with some idiosyncrasies, and we rely on service aspects such as our fine dining and excellent location to provide the best guest experience that we can.
I wish to apologize directly to the reviewer in this case, for the problems that he and his fellow travelers encountered during their stay. At the time I spoke to him, I was not aware of his concerns regarding the dining room and the bar, and felt that a discount was not warranted. Upon further reflection, I invite him to contact me, so that we may discuss how we can make it up to him.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
La Canada Flintridge, CA
Reviewed December 27, 2010

This is the quintessential Alta ski lodge. Its a comfortable, friendly place to stay if you are there mainly for the skiing, and is a good value compared to the Alta Lodge or Rustler.

We stayed in an Alpine room with two twin beds during Christmas week, as it was just my 8 year old and myself. I had never stayed here before but booked using an early season promo. I am very happy with that decision. The rooms themselves (including the bathrooms) are small, but are cozy and decorated in the typical wood paneled ski lodge theme, and were clean and well-maintained, although the furniture is a bit worn. Carpets look like they were recently replaced. The beds a bit lumpy but adequate. Each room is assigned an individual ski locker in a downstairs room that leads directly to the outside road that leads to the Wildcat base. It is not really ski-in, ski-out - but there is a free shuttle service that was reasonably quick when we called them and they will shuttle you directly to either the Wildcat or Albion base. I would estimate about 75% of the guests use the shuttle.

The main reception area is cozy, with lots of chairs, a fireplace that is always going, and a fabulous view of the mountains with its ceiling to ground windows. They have hot coffee, tea, etc. available 24 hours a day out in the lodge, where many guests congregate. Decently good wi-fi signal in the main lodge area. A small "business center" room which is two computers with broadband intenet attached to printers. There is a small rec room downstairs near the ski lockers with a ping pong and foos-ball table, but there was a water leaking problem there which made that part of the room unusable during our stay. A nice amenity are the complimentary washers and dryers, which we used once. They sell detergent for $1 in the gift shop. You can buy your lift tickets directly in the gift shop. You can also rent your skis on site in their rental shop, but they do not offer any children's rentals, so if you have kids you will have to go and rent from one of the places near the base. I didn't use them because they don't rent to children, but some of the other guests who did told me that the shop has an excellent selection of rental skis, including those big fat powder waterskis that many like to use in Alta.

Where the lodge really shines is in the friendliness of the staff. Nearly everyone we came into contact with were friendly and helpful and set a positive tone for our trip. After meeting several employees just once (i.e., in the gift shop, at the front desk, driving the shuttle or making a reservation for dinner) they remembered and greeted me by my first name. We had the unfortunate experience of United Airlines deciding that our skis would be better off going to San Francisco rather than Salt Lake City, so we were without skis for our first day in Alta; but the front desk staff and other employees kept checking on us to see if our skis made it, and gave me periodic updates. When our skis finally arrived they let us know right away. One friendly gentleman, who I think is the general manager, is always walking around talking with the guests and checking on things.

The restaurant was also a highlight. The food itself was about average (the dinner is better than the breakfast, and we never tried the lunch), but the wait staff and the lady working at the reservations desk were all uniformly very warm and friendly throughout the week. I was very pleased with the meal experience, given the inclusive rate we paid for the stay. The family style seating at dinner was a plus as we were able to meet some interesting people from all over. The clientele is mostly an older crowd (45 and up, with older children). Many families we met are repeat guests who have been coming for many years. I did not see any other non-teen children while we were there. A lot of guests from the Midwest and East Coast. One guy was visiting from Europe. A lot of serious skiers - everyone, including the staff, is focused on the powder conditions (this after all, is why we all come to Alta, right?) - and the current conditions and forecast are always the first topic of conversation.

The hot tub and pool open at 3:30 pm as everyone is coming back from the slopes. The location at the base of the tree runs off the Wildcat lift is perfect; it is great to be soaking in a 100+ degree hot tub in 30 degree weather with snow falling around you.

Overall a nice stay at a well run lodge, and I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I went with my dad to Atla over spring break and had the experince of a lifetime! This lodge is very cozy, clean, and has a neat rustic feel to it. The hot tub and pool are very warm and have an AMAZING veiw of the slopes! It's awesome to have snow falling on you while swimming. The rooms were small to the eye, but I thought they used space better than regular hotel rooms which made them feel warm and inviting after a long day of skiing. Very comfortable beds; we both slept great every night. The main room has a very cool atmosphere to it. Everyone is so nice and friendly, including the staff. Warm cookies and brownies, along with limitless tea and hot cocoa, are put out every day when the slopes close! Internet worked well in the lobby, not in the rooms, but who really would rather be in their room than the lobby? Don't make the mistake of trying to walk the "short" distance to the slopes with all your gear; catch the convient little bus that takes you there in half the time with none of the work: for free! The gift shop had cool suivneers. I have a alta sticker on my mirror and a alta vest that worked great to keep out the cold while skiing.The little ski pass card is still in my pocket. Everything about this lodge begs you to come in. My dad and I had a great time and can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SnowGal121
Washington DC
Reviewed April 14, 2010

This was the second time I stayed at the Alta Peruvian. I stayed in the women's dorm, so I knew what to expect. Overall, it was a great experience except for the theft problem. My theft issues began when I had a bathing suit disappear from the bathroom shower within a matter of 15 minutes. I realize it could have been a hotel guest, and, fortunately, I came up with a second used bathing suit that fit me. Right before I left, I left a pouch with a few personal items make up items on the sink. I overlooked putting the pouch into the luggage, which was not unusual since I was suffering from high altitude sickness until the fourth and last day of my stay. I was the last guest in the women's dorm, so it could not have been a roomate. I called the hotel right away from the airport, and they said they would know more once the room was cleaned. I called again the morning after I arrived at home and the pouch was not in the room or the lost and found. I am dismayed, since I tipped the room cleaning staff, the dining staff, and especially the drivers. The only person who could have taken my personal items (I hope she does not plan to use the cheap mascara or blush since it is not recommended) is a hotel staff person that will probably get some of my tip. So, I recommend that if you stay here, you watch your gear and belongings like a hawk since some of the other guests and some of the young people that work don't seem to understand the concept of ethics. I may/may not stay here again. I will probably wait for off season rates and stay at the Rustler and visit any Peruvian guests I may know for apres ski socializing. :)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Havanafun
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My 12 year old daughter and I had a great time at the Peruvian Lodge. If you are there to ski, and enjoy meeting and hanging out with other skiers, this is a great choice. One of our fellow guests summed it up nicely "they do a great job at everything that is important and don't worry about much else". The beds are comfortable, the place is clean, the food was surprisingly good, the warm pool feels great after skiing, and they provide games and treats like warm cookies and hot chocolate.

You tend to hang out in the cozy lobby area. There is a large wood burning fire, lots of easy chairs and sofas, and people reading, checking email on their laptops, playing board games, or just visiting with new friends. No TV anywhere. You can buy a reasonably priced beer in the shop off the lobby and just sit and watch the view of the mountain. The guests are mixed, but in general are 40-60 year old, and most kids are teenagers. You meet people that have been coming there for 15-20 years. We found ourselves looking forward to dinners and visiting with interesting people that we got to know well.

This was one trip where the unique qualities of this lodge made it especially memorable. And of course the fresh power at Alta helped too.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jim W
Mid Coast, Maine
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We spent a night at the Alta Peruvian and it was the staff that made our experience memorable! The front desk staff were very helpful in answering all our questions and getting us settled in. The wait staff in the dinning room were wonderful and very knowledgeable about the wine list and everything on the menu. Andy and Whitney in the ski shop made sure our ski gear was in tip top shape for the slopes! And the maintenance staff opened up the hot tub and pool early for us to soak our bones when we decided to quit skiing early. This is a true ski lodge, complete with Murphy beds, however, the large lounge, pool patio and bar give you all the space you need!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Dudes, if it is a mint-on-pillow experience you seek to impress your spouse or girlfriend who can barely snap on their bindings you are in the wrong canyon. Head on over to Deer Valley where they will carry you boards from car to lift. If it is deep pow you seek then forget the dorm like quality of the Peruvian and paper thin walls as you will sleep like a brick after shredding all day at either the Bird or Alta. Those who are truly blessed will get first tracks after a 15 inch storm leaves the canyon road closed in the morning to traffic and those frenetic skiers chomping at the bit to be first in line. We were not so lucky and remained interlodged this Tuesday with both resorts and all traffic outside the lodge restricted to emergency personel. We were called out of our room in the east wing of the building early Tuesday morning because of a small but real risk that an avalanche could once again crash into this part of the hotel. The desk clerk told me over the phone that several years ago a car ended up in our room. Plenty of books and boardgames and movies to keep the mind occupied. Oh yeah, the bar is a great place to hang out with locals where you can hear about the best runs and hidden stashes. While it isn't the French Laundry the chow was pretty darn good, especially the fresh made soups and various entrees. Three squares a day are included in the room price. Trash talk abounds during the family style dinners so loosen up with a glass of vino before hand. Wednesday morning the front doors opened to bluebird skies and 50 inches of new snow. The Alta lifts are two hundred yards away.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alta
Alta's Rustler Lodge
Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village
Marriott's MountainSide
Marriott's MountainSide
#10 of 60 in Park City

Been to Alta Peruvian Lodge? Share your experiences!