“POWDER” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alta Ski Resort

Alta Ski Resort
Book In Advance
and up
Ski Salt Lake City Super Pass: Discounted Lift Passes, Rental and Free Transport
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Alta
More attraction details
Owner description: Alta turns 70 next winter. Alta's place in the ski world is unique, its history storied. Alta's culture blends this past with the future as it presents, along with Snowbird Ski & Summer Resort, America's first lift-served interconnect. Alta and pure, unspoiled skiing are synonymous. Alta's wide variety of terrain, breathtaking alpine scenery and superb snow conditions combine to create a unique setting. Alta continues to offer a ski-only experience.
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

See Snowbird for more info. Alta is a Mecca for powder skiers. It is small by western standards but gets more dry powder then almost any place in the world. Salt Lake City is a wonderful place to stay and the shuttles to the four mountains runs regularly. If you love powder skiing, Alta is a must. One word of caution; the skiers at Alta are mainly snow hounds and excellent . If you are going to Alta to be seen, forget it. If you are going just for great skiing, GO FOR IT!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank DrJ9202

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Winter wonderland in Spring”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

This place is so magical. Good roads up to the mountain in a fog. A snow storm had come through overnight so we were not disappointed with the snow cover, and magical views through the trees. Great terrain and good quality chairlifts. Excellent value for money ski lift passes, compared to other Utah ski resorts.

1 Thank MaxBear08
South Florida, Florida
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 386 helpful votes
“Still the King!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place just IS Utah skiing! I love the kicked-back, relaxed attitude of this place. The skiing, especially for the advanced intermediate to expert levels, cannot be matched for snow quality and varied terrain conditions. The lodging situation is a little rustic shall we say, so if the great family experience is what you're after, stay at Snowbird down the road, but do your skiing here!

2 Thank DocSkier
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Skiing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

This was my first trip to Utah. I had only skied parts East and a few resorts in Colorado so I was eager to ski here. I had talked to a traveller at Denver airport last year who was returning home from Alta. I had just skied Keystone Co(excellent) with my family and he was telling me about Alta. I did some research and planned a trip last month. It was a great trip. It was late season (April) but Alta was getting pounded with snow the day I skied. I loved the trails and the atmosphere of the resort. Serious skiers. I don't have problems with snowboarders, but Alta is closed to boarders. Great food and restaurants on the mountains. I skied my legs off! Crowds were light. I had skied Winter Park, Co(excellent) in February and Alta was just as good. The trails in Winter Park are much wider though. Loved Utah. I will return!

1 Thank freddyCookeville
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great terrain. Great snow. No pretension.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This resort is not new so don't go expecting a fancy new high end lodge and restaurants with ski valets - but do go expecting good snow and a great mix of terrain! There are chutes you can hike out to, bowls you can traverse to your favorite line, plenty of trees stands with great powder stashes, and lots of beautiful groomer runs. Between the old school nature of the resort, and the fact that snowboarders aren't allowed, it just seems super mellow and unpretentious. I've never hit big lift lines here nor have I encountered any negative attitude. Just good skiing.

1 Thank MrsZiggy