“New Chef in Town”

Ranked #3 of 5 Specialty Lodging in Alta
La Jolla
“New Chef in Town”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

As a repeat customer since 1979, I have demonstrated my appreciation for the Lodge by my actions. The only area I thought lacking , and have made my opinion known, was the restaurant that feeds a captive audience. The menu had hardly changed over 33 years! Cheffy retired and his long term Sous Chef has stepped up and, well, has made for a big, big change. We had two or three memorable meals in our last stay there. The lamb shank was incredible and we argued about the tomato sauce after taste, all to our liking mind you, but would you have done it differently? with more this or that, you know the process. The oso bucco pork leg was raved about by long term Lodge visitors as well, but we missed that by a night. Subtle changes were everywhere and welcomed.. The Lodge is now a place for foodies
and the only note of criticism I could ever muster about the Lodge has been corrected in spades.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Grapevine
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

In 27 years of skiing, the Alta Lodge is the best place I have ever stayed. It is located at the base of Alta Ski Resort with true ski-in, ski-out access. Staying here feels like you stepped back in time to a by-gone era when skiing was much simpler. The Alta Lodge has everything you need to truly enjoy a few days of world class-skiing!!

ROOM: We stayed in a room with a private bathroom. It was clean and comfortable with everything we needed. The bathroom is updated and comfortable. There was plenty of closet/storage space for all of our gear in the room, as well as a lodge locker room for our skis.
FOOD: The food was fantastic! Each guest gets breakfast and dinner included in their stay. Breakfast is a buffet, but you can order special items from the kitchen. The kitchen is also open for lunch for purchase. Dinner at the lodge is the best! We felt like we ate a gourmet meal every night! Small groups have the option to eat at a private table, but if you are feeling friendly you can join a group table where you will probably meet your next ski buddies. We actually got to eat with the lodge owners one night which was a real treat. They were very friendly, down to earth folks and I was flattered that they shared their table with us.
SERVICE: The service is fantastic and responsive. The front desk took care of all of our needs, including our lift tickets and shuttle. We made the reservation in October and had everything taken care of several months in advance.
MOUNTAIN: Alta is a serious mountain and I recommend it to intermediate skiers and up. It is conveniently located less than 45 minutes away from the SLC airport. The snow lives up to its reputation.

If you are serious about skiing - stay at the Alta Lodge! You won't regret it!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Lodges at ski resorts don't have to be nice. They are booked out literally years in advance. In a multimillion dollar industry like the ski industry in Utah, the money comes with or without good customer service. Unfortunately that has been my experience with most of the lodges at Alta. The Alta Lodge is the only place that has illustrated to me that it cares more about returning customers than the others. I am headed up to the Rocky Mountain Knitting Retreat this weekend (it's my second time) and I just ran into some complications with my roommate. Rosie at the Lodge didn't waste any time solving my problem and making sure I was still able to attend. Add that to the food, care, and other amenities the Lodge provides our retreat, and I can never see myself staying anywhere else.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Alta Lodge is not a slick, shiny hotel. It has no TVs or microwave ovens in the rooms. There is a set of stairs that must be navigated to get down to the lobby (the hotel offers a courtesy shuttle, if that is desired, plus young staffers willing to carry your stuff up/down). But, as a long-time Alta (local) skier, I can tell you that Alta Lodge reflects the distinct feeling that is Alta: casual, self-reliant, and more interested in the terrain/snow than anything else. The rooms have all been redecorated in recent years with mid-century modern furniture. They are quiet. All rooms have some sort of incredible view (my personal favorite is the Rustler view). The lobby also has been redecorated in mid-century modern. They offer Aveda cosmetics and wonderful thick towels/robes. The service is first rate. I have stayed at the lodge once per year for 5 years and the staff remembers me.

Room Tip: Choose Rustler or up-canyon view. Ask for corner room with fireplace.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank imdreaming
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for a wedding in September, so we didn't come for the skiing, obviously. We don't ski, but we do love hiking, so this location was ideal for us in between wedding events.

I agree with all of the other reviewers. The service was impeccable. The front staff went out of there way to help us with even the smallest request. The housekeeping staff were thoroughly attentive and the food was great. The scenery was breathtaking.

The decor is definitely mid 20th century, though I applaud them for hanging on to that classic "space-age" look. The furniture was in good condition. Also, I was so impressed with the functionality of the room set up; two closets, enough shelves and hooks, and even an extra curtain rod over the bathtub, I assume to allow wet ski clothes to dry.

My one large complaint is the heating and cooling system, which is also mid-century. It was so hard to get a balance between hot and cold. You never knew what temperature the room would be. The hotel tries to accommodate this by providing a watering can to fill the "swamp cooler", a humidifier complete with salt packets, and a laminated card with suggestions on how to keep your room form overheating.

I would have given it a 1 rather than 3 if everything else had not been so fantastic.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Alta Lodge is one of several restaurants in the area featuring spectacular views of the ski areas, but it is likely not the best choice for enjoying those views while dining.

The atmosphere for dining is disappointing. The facility itself is rather worn and very dated feeling. Many wooden stairs take you down from the parking area at street level to the dining room (and lodge check-in desk). There is a fairly large, plain, dated dining room with booths and tables. On Sundays this is where several tables are set up for brunch. There's a lounge area with soft seating where musicians provide live music. On our recent brunch visit it was a soft jazz combo that seemed oddly out of place for rustic ski lodge offering casual food. Then there's a smallish deck overlooking the slopes. Unfortunately, the deck smelled vaguely of paint and the access from the deck to the buffet was constantly blocked with servers picking up and dropping off water and coffee carafes in the narrow doorway.

The food was just ok. There is a wide selection of cold vegetarian dishes and salads, some pastries, a pretty wide selection of desserts, a small selection of hot dishes, but no carving station, omelets to order, waffle station, etc. We found it quite odd that the hot station was manned -- diners may not take their own bacon, eggs, etc -- pieces are doled out by the server. Very odd for a buffet. We felt like they were afraid of running out of food.

Service was weird. Things got off to a bad start when the "host" gave our reserved table away to people without reservations, compelling us to wait. During our wait, a newly arrived party of four was seated before us (all of the tables are 4-tops), and eventually we were seated at the same time as another couple (also arriving after we did) and told our waitress would be right by. She did show up -- and served the other table, ignoring ours. A subsequent polite comment by one of us to the host resulted in a snippy retort. During our meal we observed/overheard several waitresses complaining to the host about how he seated their sections.

Sadly, although the owner or manager was also roaming the restaurant, he seemed oblivious to the fact that his waitresses were over-burdened and to the ineptness/rudeness of the host.

Overall, a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank New2Cal
Cliff_Curry, Manager at Alta Lodge, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
I’m disappointed that New2Cal did not have a good experience at Sunday Brunch. Alta Lodge Summer Sunday Brunch is a local favorite in the Salt Lake area from June to October, and our popularity has only increased in recent years. We think our mountain lodge atmosphere is warm and beautiful, and we especially love having the talented and well-known jazz guitar duo Keven Johansen and Tully Cathey play at Sunday Brunch. We take great pride in our Sunday Brunch menu, which features over 40 buffet selections, Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine and waffles to order, as well as pastries and breads baked in-house and without artificial transfats. We feature several hot buffet lunch items, although the hot menu is somewhat oriented toward breakfast items, as our hours are 9:30 am to 2 pm. At the same time, we are always updating and improving our cuisine. The Lodge is continually being remodeled and kept lovely for our guests, but most important to us is that our staff give gracious and attentive personal service to each of our guests. For this reason I’m especially concerned to hear that New2Cal did not have a good experience with the “host” at Brunch, and I think this probably affected New2Cal’s overall impression of Summer Sunday Brunch at the Lodge. I am following up specifically on this concern. We do appreciate the feedback, and we have already seen a change that we can make in our deck server station based on the comments about server traffic flow. We will use these comments in a constructive way as we strive to continue serving fine food, in a warm ambiance, with attentive personal service to our guests, summer and winter. For a complete perspective on Alta Lodge, please look at the Tripadvisor Specialty Lodging reviews, where Alta Lodge is consistently reviewed as Excellent; a great deal of this rating comes from our winter dining as well as summer dining.

Cliff Curry
Alta Lodge
slc
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Had the pleasure of spending the weekend at the Alta Lodge with my husband. Beautiful setting and great room..Couldn't ask for a better mountain view. Delicious brunch and friendly staff. Will definitely recommend to family and friends!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steph w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alta
Silver Fork Lodge
Silver Fork Lodge
#1 of 2 in Brighton
Airport Inn Hotel
Airport Inn Hotel
#55 of 75 in Salt Lake City
Rodeway Inn Salt Lake City Airport
Rodeway Inn Salt Lake City Airpo...
#51 of 75 in Salt Lake City
Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport
Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake...
#24 of 75 in Salt Lake City
Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village
Alta Peruvian Lodge

Been to Alta Lodge? Share your experiences!