Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews steam room ski shop the outdoor heated pool chair lift breakfast and dinner year after year dining room cottonwood canyon ski trip great food customer service is the entire staff high level alta snowbird public areas heaven on earth powder house
Selected filters
Reviewed April 9, 2019

There is no better ski experience than staying at Rustler, with its perfect ski-in ski-out access to arguably one of the greatest ski mountains in the U.S.

This long-standing ski lodge has been cleverly expanded and updated throughout the years and it is the perfect “chill” place for busy families wanting to get away from today’s hectic lifestyle. I have been staying there for the past 30+ years. I have also tried most of the other lodges at the base of Alta, and in my opinion, they don’t come close to matching what Rustler offers.

The staff and amenities at Rustler are perfect. Nothing goes wrong. The lodge maintains its informal approach while delivering the highest level of service and amenities. One never tires of the apres-ski drinks and bites nor the most comfortable bar in Little Cottonwood Canyon (with the most exceptional mountain views.)

The pool, hot tubs (one outdoor and one just inside behind brilliantly designed sliding doors) steam room, gym, sauna and spa couldn’t be nicer nor better situated for viewing the glorious mountains. The large common areas are filled with super comfortable couches and chairs, providing great places to read, relax, play games and view the mountains.

The same core staff greats you each new season and is ready to help you in anyway - always with a huge smile. They truly care about you and your entire family.

Go ahead and try a more modern approach to ski lodging in Alta, or anywhere. New stone walls may look nicer at first, but when you peel the onion, there is no place like the Rustler.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
SheridanDavis, Assistant Manager at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2019

Dear Suzanne:
Thank you for your excellent review about your recent stay with us. Most importantly, thank you for your decades of choosing to make the Rustler your home away from home when you are in Alta. "Nothing goes wrong" resonates, as does your statement that we "truly care about you and your entire family." It takes a lot of work to ensure that nothing goes wrong, and it is a privilege to grow to know our guests in the years you return to stay with us. It helps that we have the best guests in the Canyon! Thank you for being part of our Rustler family. With warm regards,

Reviewed April 6, 2019 via mobile

First time at Rustler Lodge after coming to Alta/Snowbird for over 30 years and wonder why I never came here before. Everything about it was great from the service, room, food, pool, convenience, etc.

We stayed in a king room in the newer wing with a mountain view and found it to be spacious and clean. The bed and pillows are very comfortable.

My only complaint might be the price but you definitely get what you pay for. We will return.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tlivac
SheridanDavis, Assistant Manager at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2019

Thank you! We're delighted you decided to give the Rustler Lodge a try and found everything to your liking. Looking forward to your swift return,

Reviewed April 5, 2019

I just returned from my 4th annual "guys ski trip" to Alta and the Rustler Lodge and our affection for the place and the people there keeps on growing. The personal service says it all: on the first day of our first visit four years ago the guy at reception offered to lend me his personal ski pants and jacket when he heard the airline had lost my luggage - wow! On our most recent stay we were regularly joined by managers and staff for a quick chat in the lounge before dinner, and post-dinner drinks at the bar are always fun: swapping great music playlists and wildlife photography tips with the bartender John, and getting tips from the local staff on where to ski the next morning. We were even joined by the owner Jeff at dinner one night, who shared hilarious and colorful stories about the history of the Rustler and Alta in general.

At first glance the Rustler can look a bit industrial in places (it's built to withstand a major avalanche...), but the overall vibe is warm, relaxed and welcoming. It's the real deal that skiers from all over hear about when discussing Alta: An authentic skiers lodge where the guests and the staff all share a love of serious skiing at a serious mountain. It's a bit expensive but utterly unpretentious and always welcoming, whether you are there to reconnect with a group of good friends or enjoy a multi-generational family ski holiday.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Jeff A, Owner at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2019

Hi Dave, I had a great time with you guys too. When you make your next reservation, make sure the reservations' girls inform me as to your dates ahead of time so I can make contact with you in Alta. Say hi to Urie and Ken. I look forward to seeing and the Colgate boy next trip.

Reviewed April 2, 2019

Alta is an incredible ski mountain, with "the greatest snow on earth," and Rustler makes for an absolute DREAM trip. It has become an annual addiction for me and several friends (early 50's) - the dopamine release starts with just thinking about returning the next year. The Rustler is, quite literally, one of my very favorite places in the world - the rare respite from the freneticism of modern, internet-obsessed life. The property ambiance that would be impossible to replicate and has been carefully cultivated over the years, with an obsessive attention to detail, by owner Jeff Anderson and key long-tenured staff: Tauni in reservations, Rebecca, Jackie and Sheridan smiling & chatting with guests everywhere and John who has been running the bar for nearly 3 decades (carefully curating a great 'Funk Jazz' play list). All are fabulous and make returning to this property a truly unique and welcoming experience. I've been back 4 times since my original review "Old School Idyllic" (2/27/16) and I can't imagine a year passing without returning to the Rustler. There are only 2 other properties that meet that same threshold for me: The Fairmont Kea Lani on Maui and The Carmel Valley Ranch...it is a VERY high bar. All share the characteristics of a unique property in a fabulous location with broad range of amenities and tenured, welcoming staff. I hesitated to write this review, simply for the same reason for this sign at the Sugarloaf lift (after a foot of fresh powder): "Remember to tell your friends that it never snows at Alta." I decided to write the review because Jeff & the staff deserve all the accolades. Be forewarned though - the Rustler+Alta is addicting.

Room tip: Anything with a Mountain View
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank ARationalist
SheridanDavis, Assistant Manager at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2019

Thank you! We're glad we keep you coming back, and appreciate the high praise of colleagues who help create the culture that has you returning year after year. Your pictures are wonderful, and your compliments are even better. We appreciate you! Looking forward to your next visit,

Reviewed March 31, 2019 via mobile

We are a group of professionals, mainly dentists, that have returned to the Rustler for 26 successive years. The lodge is wonderful, with great amenities, an amazing staff, ski in, ski out at Alta. Likely the best ski area in the US for pure skiing and snow. I’d recommend staying there as a group or couples. Food is awesome, wonderful spa facilities and no need to go anywhere once there.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
SheridanDavis, Assistant Manager at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2019

We're grateful for your level of loyalty! We do not take you for granted. Thank you for your wonderful feedback. Here is to another 26 years of staying with us at the Rustler. Warmly,