All reviews steam room ski shop breakfast and dinner chair lift ski vacation top notch stretch class outdoor pool year after year spa treatments dining room mountain view next year room includes recent stay great food cottonwood canyon
Reviewed February 18, 2019

I has a wonderful first stay at the Rustler with friends and relatives. I have stay d in a huge variety of places over forty years and know what really makes a lodge work for me.

First and foremost, the people who works there are wonderful. They do everything in their power to make you feel welcome. Probably because they clearly enjoy their work and like their fellow employees, and are well treated and appreciated by management. They uniformly have a ridiculously friendly attitude, making all encounters pleasant and helpful, patiently answering every conceivable question. Without this aspect, even the best-equipped outdoors lodge can be a grim affair.

The attitude of the people who work there also likely reflects the fact that they and guests have every resource to work with right on site: a ski shop that took the time to give me the best fit I’ve had in years, on site lift tickets, on site ski school sign up, ski out to slopes and return chair lift with equal access to both sides of Alta, an outstanding restaurant with a lavish and delicious breakfast and dinner included in the room price, free cocktail and snacks (good ones) hour, a day spa with world class masseuses (Jeannie and Amy come to mind), indoor and outdoor hot tubs, eucalyptus steam room, outdoor pool, and - yes - live animal shows and end of day s’mores for the kids.

The overall atmosphere is that of an old world, high end European family-oriented ski lodge. Warm and casual but elegant - think word beams, nice silverware and crystal, and ski gear, sock and jeans, with kids in early morning pjs made very welcome with board games and hot coca and cereal. You are really feel at home and your fellow guests are in the same mood. (Notwithstanding the warmth, they have the business chops if you have a deal cooking or a child needing to do online homework, with robust WiFi and cell service, document scanners, etc. As usual there was lots of that going on but people were unusually circumspect - handling their affairs quietly in corners.)

I want to give a shout out to the pastry chefs, two of whom I met early one morning. Awesome desserts. And a shout out to FCB. I hope his streak continues.

Yes, as others have commented, when you factor in the meals, location, and on site resources, it is the best priced deal around. But the friendly and helpful atmosphere coupled with the substantive resources skiers need take the Rustler to the level of a rare gem.

I thank all the people who work there for making my stay with friends and relatives truly memorable. I’ll be back for as long as I can ski.

P.S. If only to show that perfection is unattainable, there is one tiny thing I would change. I would add overnight coffee pots for those like me who wake up at 4 am and find tea a weak substitute. (That said, someone still up from the night before offered to make me an expresso. And made several great ones before heading to bed. Again, great service. John knows who he is.)

Room tip: i didn’t sound much time in my room for all the obvious reasons.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank jimgallatin2
SheridanDavis, Assistant Manager at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2019

Thank you! We're overwhelmed with your high praise. We cherish our returning guests, but to receive such a comprehensively glowing review from a new guest is especially gratifying.

We're not for everyone. Indeed, Alta is not for everyone. But for those who are discerning about ski culture and the contributions the Rustler brings to it, we are an excellent fit.

Thank you for writing at length about our strengths. Those are always our people, so I appreciate your shout outs to particular folks.

And we'll work on that overnight coffee situation!

Hoping to welcome you back as soon as you are able to return,

Reviewed February 12, 2019

Just spent 4 nights at the Rustler Lodge. Really enjoyed it. My room was immaculately clean and very spacious, with a great view of the slopes. The staff provided very professional, warm, service, and were always very helpful. Great amenities with a terrific hot pool and steamroom. The included breakfasts and dinners were well presented and well prepared. Service in the dining room was a bit confused at time, but nothing too bad. This is a very pricey lodge, which is the biggest negative. However, with the location at the base of Alta, the Rustler provides convenience in an upscale setting.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
SheridanDavis, Assistant Manager at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2019

Thank you for your lovely review. Our goal is to become your home away from home when you're here in Alta, and warm, professional service is part of what the Rustler provides. We are not inexpensive, but we seek to provide amazing value given our location, room square footage, appointments, amenities, gourmet meals, and the convenience of not having to worry about a single element of your wonderful ski vacation once you enter our front door. Think snow and looking forward to your swift return,

Reviewed February 2, 2019

The Rustler does skiing right. You can ski to and from either base location at Alta Ski Area. Breakfast and dinner are included with lodging. There are a wide range of rooms, from dormitories to suites. The lodge has a large heated pool, sauna, and a steam room, as well as a day spa. The views are spectacular, especially from the comfortable bar. The staff is uniformly friendly and service oriented. Ski shop on premises. Easy access via shuttle from SLC airport.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank StraightArrow10

We appreciate your compliments and thank you for choosing to stay with us. The Rustler Lodge was built in 1948 by one the greats, Sverre Engen, and we are proud of our storied history in Alta. Thank you for your praise and looking forward to your swift return,

Reviewed January 25, 2019 via mobile

We stayed at Rustler lodge in room 506
The staff were very welcoming on arrival and the room on level 5 was handy as it was close to the restaurant, bar, lounge and ski hire and lockers
The location was also great. Breakfast and dinner are included and pre-dinner appetisers are also offered on several nights in the bar
We were also offered the opportunity to dine at a table with the manager and some other guests which was a nice idea if you wish to meet others.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
SheridanDavis, Assistant Manager at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2019

We're delighted you joined our long-running Rustler Lodge tradition of the Wasatch Table, a hosted dinner giving guests the opportunity to learn more about Rustler history and share skiing stories. Our modified American plan for dining is a luxurious and relaxed way to maximize your ski holiday. No scramble to book dinner reservations weeks in advance or cook for a large crew of people after what should be a joyous and exhausting day on the snow. Though biased, I believe our gourmet four course meals are a highlight of any Rustler stay.

We are so glad you found your fifth floor room convenient. Thank you for your compliments.

Cordially,

Sheridan Davis
Assistant Manager
Alta's Rustler Lodge

Reviewed January 17, 2019

I just returned home from three nights at the Rustler with a friend for a ski weekend at Alta. I loved the food, the service, the vibe, and the slope-side location can't be beat.

My friend and I shared a room to keep costs down. Our room was in the back and super quiet. I slept like a log. The room was huge, nicely furnished, well-kept and clean.

We ate breakfast and dinner each day in the dining room, and the food was excellent (those meals are included). They have a buffet breakfast with an omelette station. For dinner they serve a four-course menu, starting with soup and salad, an entree and dessert (I'm not a big dessert person but I couldn't pass up the lavender cheese cake). For my entree I had trout one night and salmon another night. The menu is extensive, and there are a lot of healthy choices. The view from the dining room is breathtaking. On our first night we arrived late, around 11 pm, and the staff had sandwiches waiting for us, a nice touch.

The staff is super friendly and helpful. I loved the pool and hot tub overlooking the mountain - it's pretty social in the early evening. The Rustler provides plush bathrobes in the room for guests to stay warm at the pool. I briefly used the exercise room to stretch a bit. It's outfitted with weights and machines. (They have an early morning stretch class on the 7th floor that I didn't attend, but would on my next visit.)

What else? We spent lots of time in the cozy bar, which has a dramatic mountain view. Great place to read by the fire. The bartender, John, is super friendly. I ended up renting skis in the shop inside the hotel, a nice convenience. They also sell gear. There are lockers to store skis on the level of the hotel with access to the slopes, and boot warmers in the room. A small chairlift carries guests right to the Rustler. I didn't notice a lot kids during my stay, but I look forward to going back with my 13-year-old who skis.

Room tip: My room in the back was very quiet
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank nycskis

Thank you for your comprehensive and complimentary review! We look forward to hosting you again when you can bring your teenager out to ski. Conditions are terrific right now and we can't wait to have you back to stay with us.

Thank you for writing such a lovely review.

Kind regards,