“Alta's Rustler Lodge Offers Everything You Need for a Perfect Ski Vacation.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alta's Rustler Lodge

Alta's Rustler Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alta
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Alta's Rustler Lodge Offers Everything You Need for a Perfect Ski Vacation.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

If you are looking for a relaxing, hassle-free vacation, Alta's Rustler Lodge offers the full package: a specular ski-in, ski-out location, luxurious accomodations, great food, a fantastic outdoor pool and hot tub and friendly service... all in a casual, comfortable setting. It really doesn't get any better than this!

The Rooms: We have always stayed in the Superior or Wasatch rooms. They have clearly been designed with skiers in mind: they are not too fussy and provide ample room for ski gear. I especially love the hooks on the wall , where you can hang up the jackets and ski pants. The bathrooms are well-appointed and many of the rooms have wonderful spa tubs. Best of all are the spectacular views of the mountain from the picture windows or balconies!

The Meals: breakfast and dinner are included with your room. My family especially looks forward to the breakfast buffet. There's so much to sample, from the fresh fruit and homemade granola to the pancakes and omelette bar. And the four-course dinners are a wonderful way to wrap up a day of skiing. The menu offers choices for both sophisticated and plain palates.

The Amenities: My favorite thing about the Rustler is how unpretentious and straightforward it is. Alta is for skiers and the Ruster makes the skiing effortless. It is the only lodge on the mountain that offers a "convenience card" to their guests. It is fabulous! You put the card in your pocket and you never have to visit a ticket office. You are simply charged for the days you ski. And best yet, you receive a discount off of the daily ticket price if you ski for consecutive days. You can't beat it for convienence!

You also can't beat the ski-in, ski-out location. If you need to rent skis, there is a ski shop right in the building. The staff is incredibly helpful and friendly. Whether you rent or bring your own skis, you are given a ski locker located just beside the slope that takes you to the mountain. And at the end of a long day, there's a chair lift that brings you back to the lodge, where you can relax in the lobby and play some backgammon, or socialize in the lounge and enjoy hor-d'oevres before dinner. If you still have energy, you can work out in the gym (I have never done that myself, but I've seen others do it) or play ping-pong or pool.

And what could be better after a long, hard day skiing than a massage and a soak in a hot tub or warm, outdoor pool, surrounded by snow? It is really heaven on earth!

The Rustler isn't a fussy or pretentious place. It is quintessentially casual and comfortable. And that is what makes it so perfect ... and why so many of us return year and after year!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mlw07920

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2011

Alta is known as a no-frills ski resort. You don't come to Alta for nightlife and shopping - you come to ski. Rustler Lodge clearly understands this and does everything it can to make your stay enjoyable. Knowing that people likely aren't leaving their hotel, they include breakfast and dinner as part of the package. Both meals are excellent and the wait staff is generally friendly and helpful. They also have a ski shop in house that will cover all of the basics including high performance rentals with the ability to switch skis on a daily basis, if you desire.

My friend and I are easy travelers and don't sweat the little things. The room was a basic room but clean. Beds were comfortable. No complaints. The staff were very friendly - we even ended up skiing with several of them one day.

We had a few minor things happen but, in the grand scheme of things, weren't even a blip on the radar. Most things were included in our stay (such as the complimentary coffee/snack area, apres ski snacks (great wings one day, fondu another). On occasion, there was the odd item not covered - which is acceptable and understandable. The problem was that we weren't informed of the charge prior. For example, they give a complimentary copy of the NY Times. When I noticed The Wall St Journal, I asked if I could have a copy. They said yes. It wasn't until two days later that I learned I was charged $2 for it. $2 isn't a big deal so I didn't make an issue. I just wish I was told in advance that I would be charged for it.

The other thing to be aware of is the crowd. It's not a young, single crowd. For the most part, it is made up of people that have been coming here for years and years and seem to know each other from their repeat visits. While the crowd was a little old for us (we're 40), we weren't interested in coming to meet people and party so it didn't bother us. That isn't to say that people are exclusive. Everyone, including the guests, are friendly and approachable.

Overall, it was a great experience. My friend and I could easily see ourselves becoming one of the "regulars" that come to stay and ski here year after year.

Concord, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2011

The Rustler truly gets what a ski vacation should be. The intense skiing provided by Alta is perfectly complemented by the relaxing, comfortable, and laid-back luxury of The Rustler. The service is impeccable and warm. The staff is very helpful and genuine. The food is wonderful breakfast-lunch-and-dinner. The lobby has a very enjoyable, friendly, and comfortable atmosphere. Rooms are very ample and thoughtful about the needs of the skier. Free WiFi. Ski-out and basically ski-in (small lift to the lodge). You can't beat the Rustler ---- and the Alta powder is unsurpassed !!

San Clemente, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

We went here on a quick weekend getaway from So. Cal. I have this review broken down by location, pros and cons.
Location: It was a quick 1 hr 15 min flight. Checking our skis was easy. We opted for a shuttle because once you're at Alta, you don't need to leave. The shuttle wait was about 15 minutes and the ride to the resort was 30 minutes. The drop off area was under ground away from the elements and right by the lobby entrance. Other hotel drop offs were outside and it was snowing so I could appreciate not having to get pounded by the snow on my arrival. Alta has great snow. Skiers travel from all over the country to ski here because they appreciate the quality of the snow. The Service combined with the great snow have people coming back for years. The lodge is rustic just like what a ski lodge should be yet has a sophisticated touch to it. The outdoor pool was very warm and relaxing. They have a nice gym too but I was too sore to use it.

Pros
The meals were fantastic. Breakfast and Dinner are included in the price of your stay, but lunch is very good and reasonably priced. It was nice to change into something comfortable to each lunch and warm up and then off for afternoon skiing. At breakfast there were the usual items, plus omelet station, freshly made pastries. I loved how they had snacks available through out the day, like fruit cookies, tea, juice, apres ski drinks with buffalo wings and something different every day.
Service is excellent. People seem genuinely happy to be there. One example of going out of their way was that when we arrived, we needed distilled water for my husband's snoring machine. Somehow they found some for us at no charge. This area is remote so I was impressed that they were able to get it for us so quickly.
For dinner, if you're alone or your a social couple, you can request to sit at the Wasatch table and have group seating. There is a host assigned to your table and it comes with wine at no extra cost. We met some interesting people that way and then dined on our own another night.

Cons:
The decor of the bedroom was like minimalist meets rustic, but it was very clean.
There were no in room safes, I had to use the safety deposit box at the front desk which was at times inconvenient. No flat screen TV which is usually a given at any nice hotel. The heater can be a little tricky to get to the right temperature.

As you can see there are few cons. In a nutshell, this was a great trip and so easy. I didn't have to think about where I was going to eat or how to get there or hassle with carrying skis or walking around in my boots long distances. The Rustler Lodge is a one stop spot and all your needs are taken care of when you arrive. We plan on going here every year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hoskin1004
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

The Rustler lodge continues to offer an excellent combination of great service, great food, an unbelievable indoor/outdoor spa-steam-pool, and of course Alta's famous "powdered sugar" POWDER.....and not a snowboard in sight!

I skip the much closer CA resorts: too many people, too much hassle, and so-so snow conditions.
I also skip Alta Lodge & Peruvian lodge as being of lesser quality (STAFF!!) and eats!

Rustler remains my all around favorite. I've only been coming for 20+ years....

Franconia, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

I've skied at Alta now many years in a row and every time I have stayed at the Rustler Lodge. Alta skiing is arguably the among the best in the world, and combine that with the comfort and food the Rustler Lodge provides to create a fantastic vacation! I would never stay anywhere else on an Alta/Snowbird vacation.

Shredtown, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

The Rustler Lodge is the epitome of a western ski lodge. Their service is personal and very friendly, the food is unbelievable, and the bar/pool/sauna is perfect for apres ski. I couldn't imagine a better ski lodge.

• Stayed February 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alta
Goldminer's Daughter Lodge
Marriott's MountainSide
Marriott's MountainSide
#10 of 60 in Park City
Alta Peruvian Lodge

Been to Alta's Rustler Lodge? Share your experiences!