“absolutely not pet friendly---not in the best part of town.”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #27 of 203 Hotels in Austin
portland, oregon
“absolutely not pet friendly---not in the best part of town.”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

The driskill is a grand dame hotel of the old order....rooms are nicely appointed, however, the location is a bit sketchy. The hotel manager was very nice and accommodating however, there is a person who is the head of loss prevention who is obnoxious. We booked this hotel because they told us they were pet friendly, that we could eat at there coffee shop because it has outdoor seating and we could sit in the lobby with our 9 lb. dog that is absolutely quiet and well behaved. That is what all the front desk people told us however this other individual barred us from premises. In addition there is nowhere outside of the hotel for a dog to do its business. The neighborhood in which this hotel is located is creepy at night.........though we must have seen at least 200 policeman on a Saturday night. There is also nothing around the hotel that is pretty.....just a down town location with night spots for the college age crowds. I hardly slept because of all the police sirens that went on all night long well at least until 4am in the morning. the staff though well meaning are erooneous about their information...i.e..restaurants they recommended were closed The area around the lake is much much nicer....stay at the Hyatt it is cheaper and in a better location....overlooking the lake and near the jogging trails.....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marPortland_Oregon
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Thank you for your kind words on the hotel. As the winner of The Golden Bone Award (pet-friendly award for hotels), I'm unsure if there was misinformation or a communication gap - either to which I apologize. County health regulations prohibit any pets in restaurants (unless impaired pet partners) so the hotel regrettably cannot allow pets in its restaurants and bars. Additionally, we request that pet owners do not allow their pets on the furniture in respect of other guests that may be allergic to pet fur or would not appreciate pet fur being transferred to their clothing. The Driskill has hosted many, many pets and will continue to do so - treating them as valued guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
East Tennessee
Reviewed March 4, 2011

My son and I stayed for several days as I was in-town for a business matter. Wonderful historic hotel with class and especially great if you are into western decor. Walking distance to good dining and entertainment. Really nice rooms with great comfort. Just an all around nice experience.
My son loved as much as I did!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Dallas
Reviewed March 4, 2011

This was my second stay at the Driskill (the first one being for pleasure) and it still leaves me in awe. The hotel is charming and beautiful. Each room is slightly different with character, yet consistently luxurious. The overpowering height of the bedroom ceilings and majestic room furnishing and decor is true royal pampering. Let's just say I couldn't believe we actually had a business meeting there as this was a decadent indulgence for my husband and I to travel and stay at.

The location of the hotel is ideal as well. It is in the heart of 6th street, making every attraction, restaurant, bar, scene, and excursion accessible by walking.

The food is also worthy of notice. The catered food for the meetings were some of the most delicate, tasty food. And I love the bakery there! Sitting on the outdoor patio sipping coffee with a chocolate croissant was a lovely ritual during my first visit.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We returned to our room on the 4th floor of the Driskill hotel after a long but enjoyable day ready to relax and get to bed early. This was not to be however, because the wedding band booked in the mazzanine was rockin the house for another 3 hours. When we called to enquire, we were told they could not move us from the 4th floor ("fully commited")or comp our room and that we would just have to wait till the band was finished. They offered to send up ear plugs. Really? Will that stop the floor from shaking? It took 3 phone calls before we were at least able to get a reduced rate for the night - from $250 to $189.
I wouldn't expect to endure this much noise and indifference from management in a Holiday Inn, let alone a place that sells itself on old world charm and attention to guests. Spend your money elsewhere but if you do stay here, do not accept a room on the 4th floor unless you are going to the party. You will be hearing it one way or another.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
I apologize that the Mezzanine party was disruptive. The Hotel has very strict time limits and noise levels that all functions are to adhere to. Additionally, we make every attempt to ensure that only guests who are attending the event are in guestrooms above the event space(s) but due to room type requests, the hotel was unable to place you elsewhere.. You should have been informed during check-in that an event was scheduled - which did not occur. Please contact my Executive Administrative Assistant for further dialogue on your stay - thank you.
Crawford, Nebraska
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We stayed at the Driskill for a night during a combined business and liesure trip. The hotel is simply beautiful. The lobby is stunning and the service was impeccable. The room and particulalrly the bathroom were a little small but that reflects the age of the hotel. Apparently folks didn't need huge suites in the past. It was just fine for my wife and I though. The furnishings were beautiful and the bed was the most comfortable I have been in away from home for a long time. All of the fun and night life of 6th Street are right outside the hotel. If you are tired of the same old modern hotels and want a classy place with character, this is the place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I really loved my recent stay at the Driskill. Everyone was kind and helpful. The hotel is beautiful, the drinks delicious! The room was lovely and well-organized. The bed was very comfortable--the feather pillows were the best I've had in a hotel. The only drawback was the beautiful iron bedframe/posts squeaked every time I tried to turn over. Our conference was held at the hotel and the conference rooms and coffee breaks were both wonderful. There was free high speed internet, but something about it made my unable to VPN in to my office, though all other Internet uses were fine. That was a slight drawback for my business trip, since I needed to work while I was away.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
TEXAS
Reviewed February 1, 2011

The Driskill is a beautiful Victorian hotel. The rooms are comfortable and I have stayed there 3 or 4 times. The location is great if you want to stay in the heart of downtown where there are alot of clubs and live music. The outdoor cafe has good food and is great for people watching. If I am staying downtown Austin, I will probably stay at the Driskill because of the uniqueness of the hotel itself. I usually stay in a historic king which is charming and has nice bedding but small. The bathroom is also quite small.
I have never had any problems with my room. I also enjoy the bar area there because its kind of loungey; with alot of seating areas. Other places downtown I like is the Omni and the Hilton on 4th streeet.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple