“Add a bit of old school charm to a business trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #27 of 200 Hotels in Austin
New York City, New York
“Add a bit of old school charm to a business trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

In Austin for a conference in March, I stayed at the Driskill mid-week for two days. The hotel is centrally located in downtown Austin in the business district. It seemed to me mainly other business professionals were staying while I was there; but that may have been due to the time of my stay (mid-week during conference season.) The rooms are extremely small and have been redone with some silly (meant to be "luxiourous" I suppose) touches like a fur blanket strewn over the bed. Nonetheless they are very comfortable. The place is a bit "rickity" given its an older hotel (kind of reminds me of how the Waldorf is in New York) but it's still charming and for a business trip certainly beats some boring Hilton, for example. The business center is in the lobby and is sufficient. There are two computers, but at least one was always unoccupied.

1 Thank Elli2222

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

The Driskill is among a rare breed of hotels - a true independent spirit, as far from cookie-cutter as you can get. I've stayed here several times, and even on occasions when I was in Austin and couldn't get a room here, I made sure to at least visit the bar and restaurant. The rooms aren't very large, but are well-appointed and very comfortable. The bathrooms are simply the best I've seen outside of Japan. Breakfast in the lobby is a treat too. The staff is unfailingly helpful and friendly, without ever being overbearing. The only negative is that there's no parking within the building, but there are enough places nearby. Overall, this is one of my favorite hotels for business or pleasure, and I wish there were more like it.

Orange County
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

We stayed here when my husband was out on business and I was able to tag along. Pandora Trips recommended the place to us as somewhere that wasn't cookie cutter or purely for business travelers (we wanted somewhere that I could enjoy too). The decor and setup of the hotel is geared to give guests the "Texas" experience and history, which was fun. The room size was adequate, though not huge. I especially enjoyed the location, which allowed me to walk to a bunch of different neighborhoods. The hotel is located on the edge of the UT neighborhood - think bustling bars, hollering college kids and active nightlife. However, it was also quite near to the warehouse district - for those of us who wanted to go out but left college behind a while ago - and the riverfront, where I was able to walk down and hear free live music on Friday. Overall, our stay was nice, comfortable, and definitely all Texas.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

On business looking for a non-box hotel: I had stayed at the 'sister hotel' Icon in Houston so thought this would be just as great. Big dissappointment. Upon arrival, I questioned my luggage staying on the cart outside and was told it would stay there until my room was availavble, as I'd arrived at 10am. When I returned to check in, the luggage couldn't be found--I was offered a bottle of Evian for the inconvenience. I had reserved an 'higher end' 2-bed room when I made the reservation directly with the hotel at $369/night, as a friend was traveling with me. The room was beautifully furnished, the bathroom huge; however, the two windows faced a brick wall allowing no sunlight in !!! Turning on every light in the room made it just passable to read. I asked to be moved to a room with more natural light and was told there wasn't anything in the older part of the hotel, but the rooms in the newer "Tower" would be brighter. So to The Tower I went and it was brighter, but now I looked onto the roof's a/c vents. The room was furnished like a box-hotel, with a floor lamp that had to be from the older part of the hotel as the shade was so big you had to walk around it into the room to get by and the space/gap under the door jam was so wide every person who walked by talking could have been standing next to me in my room. I had to place towels under the door to try and block the noise. I called down to see if this room was the same cost as the original and was told it was $100 cheaper at $269. I was offered a cocktail for my troubles, but declined. Had I not called down I wonder whether this change would have been made. The staff is very young (possibly students from the college). In my travels I'd stayed at the Marriott Hotel on the Tampa Airport grounds and found the Marriott to be staffed by more mature individuals, the rooms considerably quieter (even with planes overhead) and much brighter than the Driskill all the way around.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank 619adeline
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2009

The hotel was ok. It was pretty but had that funny "old" smell that you get in some of these old hotels. Small rooms - tiny. kinda pricey room service. Location was great if you want to party or have dinner downtown. If you like historic refurbished grand hotels, it is a good one. Supposedly haunted. The history of the hotel is interesting. If you like the creature comforts and roominess of modern hotels - do not choose this one.

1 Thank Donna H
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

My wife and I recently enjoyed a weekend trip to the Driskill. What an excellent experience! As a seasoned traveler I can honestly say that the Driskill is a top quality hotel. Service is exceptional. The setting is historical yet very grand in appearance. Guest rooms are small but romantic and nicely decorated. Spa area is limited but cozy. Location is perfect for those who enjoy downtown Austin. Many of the popular tourist locations, including the state capitol building and the nightlife of Sixth Street, is within easy walking distance. Horse drawn carriages are at the footsteps of the hotel. Frankly it is great place for a nice, quiet, romantic getaway.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SemperBonum
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

The Driskill is located in the heart of downtown Austin, amidst the Sixth Street entertainment district and just a few blocks from the state capitol complex. It is a historic hotel that has been meticulously maintained. The "new" tower (circa 1920s) in particular evokes a sense of Texas history and tradition, with cowhide sofas in the common areas, western-themed art and memorabilia, etc. The rooms are comfortable but not overly elaborate. Again the focus seems to be as much on the theme as anything else. For example, the bed was an old wrought iron bed, which while perfectly in character with the historical charm of the hotel, wasn't necessarily the most comfortable I've ever slept on. The bathroom was large, modern, and well appointed, with very nice amenities and an adjustable shower fixture terrific for taller guests. Despite overlooking the bars and clubs of Sixth Street, the room was quiet with relatively little street noise. All in all, especially if you are a tourist looking to experience "Texas", this is a great choice. If you're traveling on business and just want a comfortable room with standard amenities, you can probably get a similarly priced yet more comfortable room at a more modern downtown hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business