“Beware, They may give your guananteed res. room away!”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #26 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed March 3, 2009

My parents live in MI and came to Austin and had planned a special Sat evening stay at the Driskill to celebrate my graduate school graduation with me. My Mom had even ordered a special personalized cake from the 1880 Bakery the week before. This trip had been planned over two months ago and reservations had been made months in advance. We had been receiving e-mails all that week welcoming us to the Driskill and expressing their delight we had chosen to stay with them. It was Mardi Gras weekend in Austin and a lot of the streets were blocked off making it difficult to get into the property even with GPS and valet phone assistance. The traffic was horrendous. We were finally told we had to turn the wrong way on a one-way to get into the entrance where the valet could take the car. Imagine our surprise upon check-in when we got to our room only to find the suite we had been guaranteed with two beds and a sofa bed, only had one small bed and a sofa-no sofa bed. We have three adults in our party. After three phone calls to the desk, and three face-to-face discussions with the manager, we left the Driskill. The manager offered to lower the room rate from the $350 to $190. WHAT ????? Like lowering the room rate will make it any easier to sleep three adults. It was obvious, they had given our guaranteed room away and had nothing else to offer us. We did arrive after 8 p.m. after experiencing our second flat tire in as many days...beware of that highway 290 from Houston to Austin. However, when one pays in advance with the credit card guarantee, it was our first ever experience of having our room given away. They never admitted this of course, but it was obvious that is what had happened. We called and were able to get back to our wonderful two-bedroom, two bath, kitchen and sitting room suite at the Hawthorne where Isaac gave us a special rate of $103! Wow! I will never book a room at the Driskill again.

• Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank YoungTexasTraveler26
There are newer reviews for The Driskill

Reviewed February 24, 2009

We love Austin! Our trip was like always an enjoyable time. My husband and I have never stayed at the Driskill while we were visting Austin and I am glad we did. We love the location and the regal look of the hotel. The room we selected was your normal room and our friends that came with us upgrated to the Senate room. When we walked in our room I thought they were kidding us, but obvisoulsy they were not. The room was so small I couldn't believe they could actually charge what they do for it. The only plus was that it had a corner view so we had two different windows to look out of. Our friends on the other hand upgraded to the Senate Room and it was also a corner view with two different views also, but was the actual size I thought every room at the Driskill shoud be. The Senate room had a full bath like ours but it also had an extra sink outside the main bath so two people could get ready at the same time. The Senate room also had a couch and two chairs with an ottoman, so you could actually have more than two people in your room without feeling squashed. Don't get me wrong we were only in our rooms to mainly sleep and get ready so the smallness of our room didn't become that big of a deal after the four nights we stayed there.
The employees were all very kind they all smiled as you walked by and said hello and were all very helpful. Overall our trip was just what we needed it was nice and relaxing we heard great bands and had amazing food and amsome company. Would we stay at the Driskill again...yes but only after we try San Jose off North Congress first.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OKlovetotravel
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I booked a room at the Driskill for my wife's birthday, so we could go on a short romantic trip together. I called the Driskill to make sure that we would have specific features in our room, and was offered a suite. I simply paused before agreeing, and they offered us a better rate. The service over the phone, as well as the offer of a lower rate impressed me.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we waited about five minutes for a valet person to take our car, and the same amount of time for a bellhop to offer to help us with our bags - not up to par with what we expect from a hotel in this price range. After our bags and car were taken care of, we moved on to the reception desk, where we were greeted by a very friendly young lady. She wished my wife a happy birthday, and she informed us we were in a suite. The correct rate was on the check-in slip we received, and the young lady escorted us to the best elevator to get to our room.

Our room was not what we expected. It was a large suite, but we were supposed to have a balcony and a two person bathtub, but neither of these amenities were in our suite. However, I felt that as we were paying a discounted rate that there was really no need to complain. My wife liked it, and if she was pleased, then so was I. The room was decorated in a style I would describe as nouveaux Victorian. Not modern, not old fashioned, but very appropriate for the hotel's image. The room was immaculately clean, and had many amenities including an in room safe, HDTV, antique furniture, very tall ceilings, and hardwood flooring. The bellhop brought our bags up, and wished my wife a happy birthday - it was a nice touch.

After checking out our room, we went down to the Driskill's bar. It was well-appointed, comfortable, and smoke free. We had good service from the waitress there, and we also sampled some of their "bar food." This food comes from their excellent restaurant at the Driskill, and our food was no exception - melted Brie with an apricot and garlic sauce. After drinks, we asked the kind young lady at the front desk (the one who checked us in) to recommend a restaurant in walking distance for us. She recommended a nearby seafood restaurant and asked when we would like to eat. We told her, and she made the reservations for us - we didn't have to ask. (Another nice touch). We went back up to our room and she called shortly thereafter to confirm our reservations. The restaurant (Eddie V's) was delicious.

Upon returning to the room, we discovered one of the major downsides to this hotel - the noise. The Driskill fronts onto 6th street, the main bar drag for Austin. There is a great deal of live music, and even though we were on the fifth floor, I could hear the music all night long. You could also hear people yelling - loud enough to keep you up. More surprising, though, was the amount of noise coming through the walls in our room. Our room was in the historic part of the hotel, built in 1886 - so I did not expect a noise problem inside the room. However, every time someone passed outside our room in the hall, we could hear them walking and talking quite clearly - in all parts of the three room suite. The noise problem led to a fitful night's sleep for both my wife and I.

We pre-ordered room service breakfast, which is very reasonably priced, and it was delivered on time. We ordered coffee, orange juice, a couple of varieties of fresh fruit, and toast. The food was delicious, and made a great start to our day. Checkout was easy - all charges were correct, and our car was waiting for us when we left.

Overall, it was a nice, but not outstanding hotel visit. There are better hotels in the state that we have stayed at (see my other reviews) but there is no better hotel in Austin than the Driskill. We plan on staying there when we return to Austin.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank eloquentlight
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Given that our need for a hotel was last minute, we landed on our feet with the Driskill. Absolutely gorgeous, close to Austin city life, decent selection of bars and cafes both inside and out. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The business center was useful and well-stocked.

The bed was more comfortable than the Westin's Heavenly Bed (which has always been my ideal) and the room was spacious and lovely. Anything we needed was catered to.

To top it all off, the decorations for the Christmas season were wonderful. The Driskill provided all the holiday spirit we could have asked for.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank indigotima
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We loved the Driskill. The hotel was excellent and perfectly located. The very warm and helpful staff made this an exceptional stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2008

Please don't let some of these negative reviews stop you from going to the Driskill Hotel. We had a wonderful experience!!

My husband and I stayed at the Driskill hotel for one night this week.. I have had lunches and dinners at the 1886 Bakery and the Driskill Grill, but I had never stayed at the hotel. They are having a special rate during the holidays for Texas Residents. Make the reservation and show your Texas ID at check in - so we decided to take advantage of this offer.
As with most downtown hotels, there is a charge for parking and they only have valet. We were greeted immediately by the valets - assisted with our luggage and welcomed to the hotel. We proceeded to the front desk where we were again greeted warmly. We were assigned a historic room on the 4th floor. The room was beautiful. There was a small foyer as we walked in - with a desk, chair another chair and lamp. The bedroom was small (as are most historic hotels) but beautiful with very high ceilings and two windows. The bathroom was large and gorgeous. There were two comfortable bathrobes in the closet.
King bed was lovely and COMFORTABLE!!
The lobby of the hotel is decorated for Christmas with a beautiful tree and a Victorian Gingerbread House made by the bakers at the 1886 Bakery.
We had drinks at the Driskill Bar and then dinner at the 1886 Bakery. Great experience for both. We also had breakfast at the 1886 Bakery - wonderful experience. Food was great and the servers were attentive. We were also given a "mini tour" of the hotel by a staff member. What a treat to learn more of the history of this great hotel.
Our room and bathroom was spotless as well as all areas of the hotel that I observed.
As with most historic hotels, they have many different rooms and sizes. The "Curio" rooms are the smallest (225-250 sq ft), but are priced accordingly. They are much less expensive than the other rooms. We were showed one of these rooms. Although smally, they were elegantly appointed. I would not hesitate to stay in one of them.
I will definitely be back to stay at the Driskill Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2008

Nice hotel, but not so much - it's just off on the little things. Check-in to your room is through the bar area, never did get a hot shower - five minute warm up time for the warm/hot water, messed up room service order twice, half-effort on housekeeping - some stuff clean, some not, and then food menus out that they aren't servicing. Business-wise, meeting functions in foyers, random tables and meeting stuff laying around the mezzanine level.

Anyways, it just wasn't all that.

Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business