“Awesome and Nostalgic”

Ranked #27 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Hunt, Texas
“Awesome and Nostalgic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

The Driskel is an olde but goodie. Stayed there many times and have had some very memorable stays! We stayed in the Governors Suite last trip and overlooked the folks on 6th street from the huge balcony! By far the best room in town!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe G, Director of Rooms at The Driskill, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Good afternoon Reggaetex,

Thank you for your taking the time to review the Driskill Hotel. We are glad that you had the pleasure of staying in one of our unique suites that showcased our prime location downtown Austin. We truly appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Katy, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I am giving The Driskill 3 stars in spite of the problems we encountered this trip only because the staff made every attempt to resolve the issues as they presented themselves and because I just really love the historic charm of the place.

My husband and I have stayed at this establishment on many occasions, each of which was in the new tower. Given it was our anniversary and a celebration of New Years combined this trip, I decided to splurge on a "Senate Room" using points (many points I might add) based upon the images posted on the hotel website. Upon registering, we were told to go Level 2 which is the Mezzanine Level. This level is basically a huge banquet hall, doors to a kitchen area and a hallway to the New Tower. We did not however, find our room (Room 251...avoid this room). We lugged our bags down the stairs (more on that later) and the receptionist proceeded to give us more detailed instructions on the actual location of the room. We find that it is at the of the stairs nestled in a corner but directly off the big banquet hall. We felt as if we were off a lobby and anticipated a lot of noise as it was New Years and the bar was directly downstairs. Upon entering the room, we found it to be very spacious but that was about it. It truly reminded me of an tired, musty bed and breakfast room with aging everything. With the amount of points we used, we were beyond disappointed. After speaking with the management, we were told they could not provide alternative accommodations other than two rooms right next to an elevator. We declined but asked for any other room but that one in a quiet area of the hotel. After an hour of our time wasted, he finally produces a room that magically was available, is also a Senate Rom and in a quiet area?? Very frustrating.

The second problem was when I tried to confirm our dinner reservations. I made this reservation right before Thanksgiving and was told I would need to call back and leave a message because they were busy with Thanksgiving reservations. Fair enough. I called, left a message the next day and someone returned my call and took my reservation for 7 pm on New Years Eve. I became concerned when the manager told me during the room switch fiasco that dinner reservations were for two set times (5:30 and 8 pm) Not the 7 pm time I had reserved. Upon calling, they had no reservation in my name. ??? They finally said they could squeeze us in at 6:30 so we said 'fine' and scrambled to shower and dress due to the hour wasted already just checking in. We get to the dinner on time and half the restaurant in empty! Seriously? We were told it was sold out!

The final problem. The elevators! They are either beyond antiquated, slow, or just plain not working. We had to haul our luggage up and down the grand staircase and then upon checkout, down four flights using the exit staircase. Many others waiting for the elevator also followed us down...some with young children. Just plain ridiculous.

Now for the good points: The hotel is beautiful, our room was clean, the staff (particularly our waitress in the Driskill Grill and our waitress during the New Years Celebration in the bar) were very attentive, professional and very friendly. They genuinely seemed to want the guests to have a memorable experience. The New Year's Eve dinner in the Grill was amazing! Excellent culinary selections and wine pairings. We were very impressed.

In as much as I love the hotel, not sure if we will come back to The Driskill on our next trip....too many issues that tainted our experience this time around.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tjoanna
Dear tjoanna,

I appreciate your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you experienced, especially since this was an important occasion for you and your husband to celebrate. We value your comments on how to improve the navigation of the hotel, and will keep all of these in mind as we continue to look for ways to improve the Driskill and our guests’ experiences. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the historic charm of the hotel and the service from our staff members, and hope that you have the opportunity to return once again so we can restore your faith in the legendary Driskill Hotel.
Memphis, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

What a great hotel for the holidays, all decked out with lights, and trees.
My first time to Austin. just loved it. The rooms are all pretty different since it is an older hotel.
We stayed on the 4th floor. Our adult daughter and husband stayed in a different part of the 4th floor just over the bar, It was pretty noisy until midnight. Very welcoming staff.

Room Tip: dont stay above the bar.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Happy New Year, fillisann!

We are glad you had the opportunity to visit during the holidays and share your experience. The holiday décor is one of our many traditions, and we hope to see you again next year.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights at the Driskill hotel. We stayed in the older section by choice. Room was nice and decorated to the theme of a hotel which is over a 100 yrs old. The bathroom was decent but my wife would prefer garden/jacuzzi tub. Restaurant was excellent for breakfast but a little pricey but still worth it. Staff was very friendly and responsive as well. The bar was excellent and had an exceptional ambiance about it. Bartenders were customer focused and made good drinks. The Hotel is in an excellent location to site see and there were many bars and restaurants right outside the door. Only bad review is the valet parking is slow. They need more employees to help park and get vehicles. Had to wait approximately 30 mins to get car. Prepare if you need to get somewhere quickly. Excellent stay and will return to try newer part of hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe G, Director of Rooms at The Driskill, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review, Buddman69.

I apologize for the delay in parking service that you experienced during your recent stay, and have addressed these concerns with the valet staff to ensure this situation does not happen again. I’m delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy your guest room as well as Food and Beverage outlets. We hope you have the opportunity to visit again soon, and perhaps try booking an upgrade to one of our unique bridal suites! We may have a jacuzzi tub available with your wife’s name on it.
Corpus Christi, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I adore the Driskill Hotel! My first visit was just a walk through to enjoy the elegance of this place and have a wonderful lunch with my sister and nieces. Since then, I have been back on several tours and loved learning about the history of this amazing hotel. Now that I visit Austin more frequently, I always seem to find a reason to go there...either for a quick and delicious bite at the 1886 Bakery or a full dinner in the restaurant. From the minute they open the doors to welcome you in to the moment you leave, its like being in a by gone era of grace and opulence. Don't visit Austin without at least walking through the lobby and please go up the grand staircase to enjoy their spectacular Mezzanine on the second floor! They have lots of the original furniture from when it opened in 1886. And give a nod to Colonel Driskill as you go up the stairs...he created a classic that has withstood the test of time!

Room Tip: All the rooms are scrumptious and just drip with Texas elegance! Nothing at all like a "big box...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello Seawindsrose, and thank you for your wonderful insights. We truly value your loyalty and look forward to your next return.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at The Driskill but there were many problems. I want to stress that each problem was ultimately resolved, but the fact that so many problems arose is a concern. Below I outline each problem and how it was resolved by the staff.
1). When I checked in I was given the wrong room. I was supposed to have a double with two beds but instead was given a queen and a small roll-away cot due to the hotel being full. This was very inconvenient and made for a difficult night of sleeping on the small cot. The management gave me a discount on the room and free breakfast for this mistake. That said, I made my reservation two months in advance. This type of mistake is unprofessional.

2. There are no coffee makers in the rooms. They are happy to provide you with one, but you must ask. I had to ask two times. I also had to ask two times for mugs (not provided). There is free coffee in the lobby, but they usually remove it by 10am. If you are staying for a relaxing, lazy weekend and wake up after 10, keep this in mind. It was slightly frustrating.

3. The fitness room has a steam room, but it rarely works. I tried to use it twice and both times it didn't work. I called the front desk and they sent people up to fix it. One time they fixed it, the other time they did not. The fitness equipment is very nice and new but would have enjoyed using the steam room after my workout.

4. The cafe downstairs (1886 cafe) and the bar on the 2nd floor are both great, but very slow. Be prepared to wait for both. The odd thing is there are always extra (empty) tables, but maybe they are understaffed? It was puzzling. We waited for breakfast and drinks an average of 30 minutes each day. That said, the staff was very apologetic and the service was good once you got it.

5. Finally, the valet is a bit of a mess. I realize they are busy and it takes time for the staff to get the cars but on two separate occasions I asked for my car and presented my ticket and waited to no avail. The first time my keys simply sat on the valet's desk for 20 minutes before I asked politely if they were going to pick them up and do something with them. The second time I waited another 20 minutes, then inquired about my car. The gentlemen told me, "The computer says you have it." So apparently someone made a mistake. It was a bit frustrating to say the least. I was given one free day of parking for my troubles.

Overall, this is a lovely, old hotel. The rooms are comfortable and the location can't be beat. There were several problems with my stay, however. The staff resolved all the problems and offered a discount, free breakfast and a discounted parking rate. While I appreciate the efforts the staff made to resolve the problems, I would have rather the problems not existed in the first place.

2 Thank Merlin C
Dear Merlin C,

I appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your recent stay, as this gives us an opportunity to address your concerns. I would like to sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced during your time with us, especially since this was supposed to be a relaxing visit for you. I will be sure to address all of these concerns with my staff in order to avoid similar situations from happening in the future. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the guest rooms and location, and hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back again.
Austin, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

This place is very "rich," but I like the lobby decor more than the room decor. If you grew up loving techno and wondering about vegetarians, this place will make you VERY VERY uncomfortable!!! Everything is made of cows. I tried to like it, but underneath everything I began to feel offended. I couldn't help it, it was just an underlying feeling. There are portraits of all the governors of Texas hanging on one wall in the mezzanine level. I wondered….if there were such a thing as Twitter of Facebook…..would these men have been such "good" men. There's no way to know. I have no idea why I would think such a thing. Maybe I found the place overbearing.

I had a suit there with a jacuzzi. The balcony looks west, and out into a partial view of an alley, and a partial view of Congress and 6th. It was unimpressive. The jacuzzi was old style. And either it was broken, or we just couldn't get it to work properly.

Everything is very "nice," but as I said before, if you've grown up loving a different kind of "nice," this place is VERY uncomfortable.

The service is SUPERB, I mean that in the fullest sense of the word. The food is good. Be careful of the "free" things that you open in the room, they are VERY expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Monica M
Dear Monica,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your unique experience with us, as we consider guest feedback an invaluable tool. I would like to apologize if the décor left you feeling uncomfortable, as that is not our intention by any means. I have also shared your jacuzzi comments with our engineering staff to ensure that it is in working order so as to avoid another situation similar to yours. I’m glad that you experienced superb service during your stay and hope that you are able to visit once again.