“If you want old school "Texas," this is the place.”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #28 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This place is very "rich," but I like the lobby decor more than the room decor. If you grew up loving techno and wondering about vegetarians, this place will make you VERY VERY uncomfortable!!! Everything is made of cows. I tried to like it, but underneath everything I began to feel offended. I couldn't help it, it was just an underlying feeling. There are portraits of all the governors of Texas hanging on one wall in the mezzanine level. I wondered….if there were such a thing as Twitter of Facebook…..would these men have been such "good" men. There's no way to know. I have no idea why I would think such a thing. Maybe I found the place overbearing.

I had a suit there with a jacuzzi. The balcony looks west, and out into a partial view of an alley, and a partial view of Congress and 6th. It was unimpressive. The jacuzzi was old style. And either it was broken, or we just couldn't get it to work properly.

Everything is very "nice," but as I said before, if you've grown up loving a different kind of "nice," this place is VERY uncomfortable.

The service is SUPERB, I mean that in the fullest sense of the word. The food is good. Be careful of the "free" things that you open in the room, they are VERY expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Monica M
Joe G, Director of Rooms at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Monica,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your unique experience with us, as we consider guest feedback an invaluable tool. I would like to apologize if the décor left you feeling uncomfortable, as that is not our intention by any means. I have also shared your jacuzzi comments with our engineering staff to ensure that it is in working order so as to avoid another situation similar to yours. I’m glad that you experienced superb service during your stay and hope that you are able to visit once again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,062)

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I've always admired The Driskill and have visited its old-world bar a few times on trips to ATX. This was my first stay at the hotel. The lobby is grand, service is great; my room was a little cramped but nicely appointed. The bathroom was actually quite large. Very comfortable bed. Easy access to Sixth Street and lots of great restaurants and bars. Doesn't appear that the Hyatt hotel (new ownership) has made any changes yet to affect the independent charm of the place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Hello Lisa M,

Thank you for sharing your insights! We are so pleased that you had the opportunity to stay with us recently and enjoy your one-of-a-kind guest room. Please visit us again the next time you come to town.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel situated in a very good spot within walking distance of restaurants and bars. Their service and accommodations exceeded my expectations, which is always nice on a business trip. Kudos to the staff and management for their terrific service and for keeping this landmark in gorgeous, supreme condition.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Joe G, Director of Rooms at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Hello Wearytraveleratlanta,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to hear from guests that the service and accommodations offered to you exceeded your expectations. We hope you have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

I choose this as my destination of choice while in Austin. This
Place did not disappoint with charm and character as one finds in older hotels. The entire staff was friendly and attentive to my needs I would highly recommend this property

• Stayed: December 2013

Good afternoon lenoxcirclegule,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear that enjoyed your experience at the Driskill and we certainly hope to continue being your destination of choice while visiting Austin.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

This hotel is a very unique experience. Definitely the place to stay in Austin. It is in a great location, but the rooms and service are hard to beat. I will absolutely stay there again on my next trip.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from Austin, Walter, and thank you for your review! We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to providing you a cozy room and unbeatable service the next time you’re in town.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

My family visited the restaurant in April - great food, great service ! A thoroughly enjoyed evening out. There was a group of 8 of us and we all had a great meal, with some excellent wines. The food was great quality and well cooked, we would happily return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent dining experience, SEB15. We are so pleased to hear that you were satisfied with both the food and the service you received and we will be glad to host you once again the next time you are in Austin, Texas.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Driskill is Austin's classic and venerable hotel dating back to the late 1800s located in the heart of downtown and adjacent to Austin's vibrant 6th street entertainment area. As a vintage property, the Driskill is very unique. It retains much of its old world character but has all the contemporary conveniences a discerning guest would expect. Initially, finding your way around the hotel can be challenging, with all of its nooks and crannies and maze like corridors; for instance, it was a real challenge finding the fitness centre.

The room we were assigned was much more spacious than I expected as I generally assumed old hotels feature small, quaint rooms. Our room had a separate foyer with a desk and the bathroom was spacious enough for both my wife and I to maneuver. The only drawback was the fact that the closet was tucked away in the bathroom. Now, as part of a large wedding party, I was able to walk into some other rooms which were distinctly smaller, thus, we may have drawn the lucky straw. The room had an in room safe and large minibar. The lack of in room coffee service was mitigated by the fact that the hotel provided a complimentary coffee set up in the lobby.

I concluded that the elevators dated back to the original construction as they were the slowest I've ever experienced; a relatively minor convenience compared to the fantastic, friendly service.

If you ever visit the Driskill, do experience the bar on the mezzanine level. A real happening environment with live music (at least the nights we were there).

I loved my stay at the Driskill and would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon TripTex,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to go into detail on your recent stay at the Driskill. It is always a pleasure to hear when guests enjoy both their accommodations and the service provided to them. I will be sure to share your comments regarding the navigation of the hotel with the Operations team to ensure guests are able to locate different areas in the hotel, including the fitness center. Thank you again and we look forward to your return the next time you are in Austin, whether you have the opportunity to stay with us again or stop by for our nightly entertainment in the bar!