“austin treasure!!”

The Driskill
Ranked #28 of 203 Hotels in Austin
“austin treasure!!”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

we love this austin treasure!!! classic bar and excellent drinks! can be a bit loud if you're looking to have a conversation, but a great place to entertain out-of-towners! also, jessica is always so good to us! she knows how to deal with a high-demand group!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Joe G, Director of Rooms at The Driskill, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your review, George!

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again at the bar very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Prospect Heights, Illinois
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I made reservations 2 months in advance on Driskill Hotel's website. It was my husbands birthday and I wanted it to be a special weekend. We arrived at the hotel at 4:30 pm and went to check in. The clerk went in the back for about 10 minutes. I asked the other clerk at the desk what was the hold up. A manager finally arrived and said they overbooked and we could not stay at the Driskill. I was so disappointed. He did not offer us anything for our inconvenience. No dinner. No free stay. Not even a lousy drink. All he did was send us halfway across town to the Hilton. I feel like it ruined my husbands birthday weekend. I would warn anyone that if you are planning a special event and plan to stay at the Driskill, they may not have your reserved room when you arrive.

Room Tip: Call to confirm the day of your reservation.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Katherine V
Dear Katherine,

I would like to offer a sincere apology for relocating you and your husband during a special birthday weekend. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, as this gives me an opportunity to share your information with my team in order to prevent similar issues from happening in the future. If you would like to discuss your experience further, I would love to speak with you. I can be reached via email at joe.graham@hyatt.com or 512-391-7138. Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Midland, Texas
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Driskill on Wednesday and Thrusday(Thanksgiving) nights.

I was on my way to go hunting upon checkout Friday, so I had my hunting rifle with me. We used valet and as they unloaded our bags, they checked my rifle in with Security who kept in a gun safe for me while we were staying at the hotel. This service was nice since I didn't have to worry about my gun during our stay.

Also of note about the valet, was that they were all very nice, even when extremely busy. We had left our tickets to the TTU vs. UT game in our glove compartment and they went and got them for us. So for the people that copmlain about how much valet costs... There is certain amout of convenience that come with using their service. Plus, its only $8 difference over self parking.

We were assigned Room 533. I would not recommend said room to anyone looking for a view. Outside of our window was a wall approximately 10 feet away. The room itself was nice though. It was perfectly sized with a king bed, a nice desk, and large oversized chair. It was QUIET though. So, if you do not care about your view or do not plan on spending much time in your room, it is fine.

I went down to 1886 Cafe & Bakery Thursday morning for coffee, some fruit, and a croissant. All of which were excellent. I had some low expectations for fruit given that its almost Winter, but was pleasantly surprised at the quiality. The chocolate croissant was also very delicious.

The bar in the Driskill is also very good. They have a fire place which provided for a nice atmosphere. Thursday night they were extremely busy after the football game, and our server Vanessa was great. I highly recommend the Sage Advice (one of the bar's specialty cocktails). We also enjoyed the sliders, which were great as a late evening snack. They would also make a great lunch.

I have stayed at the Driskill prior to it being owned by Hyatt, and it did not seem any different to me. Its still a great historic hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a view, do not get 533.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bryan, We appreciate your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to The Driskill. We are so glad that you had an opportunity to enjoy the valet service, 1886 café, and Driskill bar. Please come visit us again, we have another Sage Advice cocktail waiting for you at the bar!
Weston, Florida
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Driskill for 3 nights. Overall a terrific experience. The hotel is beautiful and the location couldn't be better. Located on 6th Street, the Driskill is located in the heart of the music scene with lots of bars and many great restaurants. The service was excellent with the exception of the bell staff, which was very disorganized. We stayed in a Primrose "suite," which was very nice but would be better described as a deluxe room. The biggest pluses: great rain shower head, superb location, front desk & concierge staff are great, bar downstairs has live music and 1886 restaurant is great for breakfast & lunch. Biggest negatives: bell staff very slow, some noise when the room next door used the shower and slow elevators (but acceptable for a historic hotel). Overall I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello from Austin bjr926!

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback with us. We appreciate hearing from guests such as yourself because it gives us valuable insight on all areas of the hotel. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the location of the hotel and service from our staff, however apologize for the shortfalls you found with the bell staff and noise next door. I will be sure to share this information with my team in order to ensure the bell staff is providing quick and helpful service. We look forward to seeing you once again the next time you return to Austin.
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Had been to The Driskill on a rainy monday night - had heard a lot abt it so had really high hopes, i am happy to say that the restaurant superseded by expectations! I had been to the 1886 Cafe & Bakers - the cafe part of the hotel where i was immediately guided to the table and given the menu by a very helpful n cherry server ! The food was value for money and the atmosphere was the cherry on the cake - as a whole - i wud suggest everyone's who's visiting Austin for the first time to stop by and visit this place :)

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Driskill 1 night on Nov 7th. Picked the Driskill due to the "Big Reds & Bubbles" event that took place on this night. Friend booked the "bridal" suite - which had a king bed. There's a handful of very expensive rooms at the Driskill - this being one of them (paid ~ $500 for the night). Did so due to the room being on the 2nd floor which is where the event was taking place. Anyhow, upon entering the room mid afternoon I noticed some things in the room just looked "tired". Walk in steam shower fixtures were gritty - probably 20 yrs old. Water temp was lukewarm. Sink was plugged. Furnishings were dated. No servi-bar (what on earth was the servi-bar key for!?). The BIGGEST problem, however, was the crappy cot I was provided. The cot was dilapidated and should NEVER be issued to a guest. 3" pad was worn beyond repair. Next morning had breakfast at Cafe 1886. Terrible food. $14 omelet was small and greasy. Came with side of fried potatoes (which you can tell came from a huge tub of frozen potatoes they must be buying in bulk). Hyatt recently acquired this property. They better get their act together quickly. I've stayed at this property ~ 6 times over the years. Combine my recent experience with the fact there's no pool or gym at this hotel - and overnight parking is expensive (~ $26/night). Boils down to my never (ever, ever) darkening their doorway again!!!

Room Tip: Best tip would be to stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kurt C
Reviewed November 25, 2013

As a recent resident of Austin I had heard that the Driskill bar was one of the must tries in Austin for good cocktails and atmosphere and had it on my list to try. I had my son come over to Austin for a visit and so we decided to to get a group of friends and give it a try. See what the bar and the band would be like. What a disaster. First all, the service was poor and the drinks were nothing special. I've been to the top cocktail bars in the world and this is not anywhere near that. Its not as good as any of the other bars i've tried in Austin, but it gets better. My son wanders off to use the restroom, and doesn't come back. After a while i go find him and the hotel security manager has him locked in a room and is giving him a citation for a minor consuming alcohol. Now they never checked his ID at the bar, and even if they did as his parent by Texas law i'm allowed to purchase him drinks. He's 20 by the way. I go in to office they have my son locked into, explain that he was with me and ask that the let us leave. The security manager refused and was very rude about it. So now I have a court date to deal with for trying to a have a drink in what i thought was a nice place with my 20 year old son. What happened to the customer service one expects from a nice bar, and the courtesy to the customer. As other has have said the Driskill is not the classy place of Austin it once was. Its now just another big corp box trying to make money on its reputation of the past.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family