“Loved it! Definitely want to come back here!”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #27 of 204 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at The Driskill. It's a beautiful hotel with nice staff and just a short walk to great shopping and restaurants. We asked for a quiet room and they put us in an interior room that was amazingly quiet. It was almost shocking when we went outside and found out how noisy it was a night; we'd never know! At night, they have a watchman who checks to make sure you have a room key before he lets you in. It was a nice security touch that keeps the "rift-raft" out. My only complaint would be the size of the bathrooms. It's a historical hotel though so I won't penalize them for it. :) We had a 2 room suite with really high ceilings, so it felt very spacious. I had room service for breakfast each morning and they were incredibly fast. I loved my stay here and when visiting Austin again, I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,125)

Reviewed October 31, 2013

On a previous trip to Austin a few years back, we had drinks at the Driskill Bar and said "If we come back to Austin, we MUST stay at the Driskill." I had a business trip to Austin in October and made our reservation. I called and upgraded with Hyatt points to an Executive Suite. The hotel site shows all the suites so I asked which ones were Exec - they told me - and I asked if I could choose. They're only assigned day of check-in - so I had to wait until we arrived. Like anything connected with travel - I don't count on it until it actually happens.

We arrived too early to check in - left our bags, walked around town, came back - still not ready. Went to the Driskill Bar (site of our first love of the place) and waited, and waited and waited. Finally got the call - our room was ready - now the only thing was to find out WHICH Executive Suite. We went back to the front desk to get our keys and asked "which suite" - only to be told - "the Presidential." Okay - Sure - BUT again my brain says - wait until you get there and see if it's true.

It Was True! AND WOW!!! The LBJ Suite is really something to see - especially when you know "I'm actually staying here!!!" It's as good as the pictures on the website. Historic memorabilia and space with great character. VERY comfortable furniture and bed - wanted to bring the mattress home. The suite opens onto incredible public space with beautiful stained glass and chandeliers and two large public balconies.

All our encounters with hotel service was very pleasant - the room service, housekeeping, bellmen, front desk and conference staff. Not a surly one among them.

The Cafe/Bakery - great breakfast stop. Watching the bakers at work was a treat - and the food and service was just right. Plus we purchased a wonderful tin of Halloween cookies in a beautiful tin with the design of the stained glass from the Cafe.

This hotel has been so beautifully restored with attention to historic detail. It takes you back to an era of grand hotels with beautiful interiors, soaring ceilings and staircases. Our only regret was that we didn't to meet the ghosts that are said to inhabit the hotel - but it's clear why they would never want to leave the Driskill.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade with Hyatt points - DO IT!
1  Thank Patay1
Reviewed October 30, 2013

You know you are somewhere special as soon as you walk into the opulent entrance hall of this grand hotel.
After three separate unsuccessful attempts to gain entry into our room, we were finally upgraded to a $1000 suite. The satin like sheets and matress enfold you like a cloud and the dressing gowns are fabulous.

The bar is a must, and the food reasonably priced, unlike the restaurant which can be very expensive. If you do manage to stay at the Driskill, check out the Bakery which serves a mean breakfast/ brunch. The French crime brûlée toast drizzled with caramel and served with berries was heavenly and the service exceptional.

Would definitely return again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the corner rooms as they can be quite small.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Driskill is an old charming building that's updated with modern conveniences. My room was a king size bed with high ceiling and a great ceiling fan. It harkened back to the old west. The bathroom was thankfully not old west but clean modern tile. The bar in the hotel was very cool with a metal ceiling and lots of sitting areas for conversation and relaxation. The place is in the middle of the action in downtown on 6th St. The only reason I didn't give this place 5 stars was the lack of pool. Everything else was charming and funky.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2013

After a long day of travel with my parents to get to Austin all I wanted to do was sprawl out on the sofa in the room and watch tv. However, upon arriving at our room (a junior suite) that was not exactly the case. Even though the hotel room was immaculately designed and looked like it came out of a Restoration Hardware magazine, it wasn't exactly functional. And on top of that, neither of the two tv remotes worked, which though is a small problem, it is just a bit annoying. They did however send up housekeeping immediately upon our arrival to deliver linens for the pull out sofa bed. The main room where my parents were staying was very nice with a beautiful custom bed. Saying the bathroom was small is an understatement. I bumped my elbows every time I turned around and had barely enough room on the counter to set my cosmetics bag down. Staying there on a Friday night, we expected it to be busy but not as busy as it was. There were two weddings going on and until about 3 am the music and fellow guests were going strong. I could hear every guest walk down the hall, the conversation they were having and could also hear the people in the room next door. The music being a floor below us was also very loud and didn't stop until the early hours of the morning. Besides all that, the staff was very nice and the food at the bar and restaurant for brunch was very good. The hotel in general is beautiful and historic, worth the stay. I imagine a week day would be quieter and less hectic. Overall review is good, not great but I would go back probably if I were to travel to Austin again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank yddam106
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels in the country. It is located in downtown Austin with a short walk to many, many clubs, restaurants and other fun attractions. The hotel has a great bar and restaurant and filled with history. There are rumors that the hotel may be haunted, but during my stays there I did not see anything of the sort. If you are wanting to stay in downtown Austin, I recommend this one to you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at the Driskill during the first weekend of the recent Austin City Limits festival. It was fun, campy, Texan... and added to the overall ambiance of our trip.

We stayed in a corner room. As noted, the rooms are small, the fixtures are old, but this is part of the charm of the Driskill. The corner room was sunny, but the windows did not open. This led to the room being stuffy, and frankly almost moldy. My allergies (which are usually kept in check, flared up.)

Upsides include the true Texan cowboy decor, the cafe, the central location.
Downsides include the slow elevator, the small and somewhat stuffy room.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple