“Worst bathroom I ever had in a hotel. Lacking in a few areas.”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #28 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here one night for business. Check in was fast and efficient. The hotel is a historic hotel in the heart of downtown Austin. Very convenient to restaurants and the happenings in Austin. My room had high ceilings and massive amounts of crown molding. Bed was comfy enough. But here is where the hotel was lacking:
1. As with any old hotel, I couldn't get the temp right in the room. Either too hot or too cold. And the AC was so loud it was hard to hear the TV.
2. The bathroom was AWFUL. There was the tiniest sink I have ever seen. Prisoners are given bigger sinks. What was strange is that there was space for a larger sink! Or even a shelf! I had to put my flat iron on the back of the toilet. There was no place to rest a toothbrush, hairbrush, nothing. Why they don't have shelves or a free standing table I have no idea. I get in that in a historic hotel the bathroom is what it is in terms of size, but at least improve where you can. And my second big gripe about the bathroom was that the shower curtain was hung so close tub, that it clung to you as you bathed. That is DISGUSTING as that shower curtain then clings to everyone else and is never washed.
3. I made the mistake of taking off my shoes and not putting slippers on. Within minutes my feet were BLACK. Clean the carpets!
3. At at the cafe for breakfast. Super slow. Waited about 30 mins for food. Then when they brought me the check I asked for a pen to sign it and the waiter goes, "Sorry, the restaurant is all out of pens believe it or not". Really? Why not walk 25 feet to the front desk and get more?

I think there hotels with better amenities in Austin, but if you want something historic then this could be your place.

Room Tip: Ask for a bathroom that has a large sink.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Laura P, Public Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

njgalinwt -- Thank you for your time in composing and sharing your feedback on your recent stay at The Driskill. Being an historic property, we do have a variety of sizes and configurations for rooms, as well as bathrooms, and we'd be happy to work to find you a more appropriate configuration based on your needs and preferences during any future stays with us. Please rest assured, maintaining the cleanliness of the shower curtains is part of our room turnover process. We will be dispatching staff to check on carpet cleanliness, and addressing the service issue you encountered in 1886 Cafe as well. We hope to be able to have the opportunity to rectify your issues and provide you with the true Driskill experience on any future stays, and I'd be happy to handle any future reservations personally.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here a few nights while on a personal business trip in Austin. It reminds me of a Fairmont or a Luxury Collection Hotel.

My room was small but the service was excellent. Its located right in downtown on the main street so you can walk to everything.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were here for a Thursday and Friday night in late May. After reading so many negative reviews about people not happy with their room we called the hotel directly to tell them exactly what we did, and didn't want. They were very understanding and room 545 worked well for us. Not huge, but not too small either. Had a king bed, table and chair and a loveseat. Only 1 robe though which seemed odd. Bathroom was good sized with good water pressure from the shower. The public areas are beautiful. Bar is very nice and drinks were reasonably priced. No street noise from our room. Rate was $329 before taxes and $34 per night for parking. I think at those rates there should be a newspaper outside the room in the morning and turndown service in the evening and they aren't. Complimentary wifi in the room didn't really work at all. If you like historic hotels and tell them what you do and don't want in your room you should be fine. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Great location.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to tell them what you want.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Having been to Austin several times, we had been to the Driskill bar and I knew I wanted to stay here at some point. Such a great historical hotel, great location! We finally had a weekend away and knew this was where we wanted to go. We booked a nicer than normal room to treat ourselves.
We knew we were going to be arriving late and called the hotel to let them know. We pulled up to the hotel (valet only) and were told to leave our car basically in the middle of the street. The valet was backed up, but leaving it on a busy street did not seem acceptable so we waited for a space to clear.
When we went to check in, we confirmed that we would have a "Senate" room - oversized, spacious work desk, comfortable seating area etc. When we arrived to our room, it was TINY. There was no desk, one chair that wasn't comfortable - I felt like crying. This was supposed to be a special weekend away and the room was awful. We called the front desk and asked if there were other rooms Senate or not that they could move us to. There were not. We asked the bellman when he brought our luggage if it was indeed a Senate room and he confirmed as well. He did bring us a certificate for one breakfast in the morning (one? there were two of us in the room). We immediately started researching other hotels in the area to stay the rest of our trip.
The next morning, we went down to check again. We were again told it was a Senate room even though there wasn't a desk etc... We asked to be moved to another room. While we were waiting for that room we thought we would go for a bike ride, one of the many things they offer for recreation. The concierge looked at his co-worker with a worried look and said that he would go check the bikes, that they had just been serviced. He came back about 15 minutes later and said we were good to go, but that they did not have a bike lock. He offered to give us $20 for us to stop while were were out and buy one (really??). We hopped on the bikes, excited to go explore. We turned the corner and tried to stop - NO BRAKES! We have similar bikes at home and ride frequently, we knew what we were doing. One of the scariest moments of my life. I had to ride into a curb and jump off to stop. After walking the bikes back we checked in with the concierge to let them know their bikes were indeed not fixed. While there, we were told that we had in fact not been in a Senate room all along and they were working on getting our new room set up.
We went to lunch and came back to our new room. Wow! It was so nice! Exactly what I had expected. There was actually a desk, a great couch and sitting area - just what was advertised. They sent up some cupcakes and 2 breakfast certificates (thank you for 2 this time) as an apology for the bike fiasco.
And that's how the weekend went... one mistake, then apology after another. Mistakes happen, I get it. Lying to us about the type of room should never happen. If they gave our room away because we were late (remember we had called to let them know), that can happen, but admit it and make it right the next day.
I love historical hotels like this but you'll find me at the Four Seasons or Omni next time. I won't risk the horrible customer service again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you book!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My friends and I stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend and had a blast!

The customer service is great!
Upon arrival, your car is valeted for safe keeping and your luggage may be taken by the bell hop for convenience. Then they have a list of restuarants and sites to see in and around the hotel, some that in walking distance!

The hotel has a great lounge with unique seating and a bar for your leisure.

Also, the beds are very comfortable and the guest services personnel are very frirendly.
After arriving home late on Sunday evening, our remote was not working correctly and they werek kind enough to bring us a new one. Oddly enough, my purse was actually blocking the tv connection and it had nothing to do with the remote, which they kindly pointed out. So ladies, don't place your purse on the dresser stand where the tv is located.

The location is prime for those visiting downtown Austin and wanting to be in walking distance of 6th street. You literally walk outside your hotel and 6th street is right there!

They also provide Illy coffee which is an Italian coffee that is perfection! Great selection!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a girls getaway weekend. We were greeted at the entrance with help with our car and ample amount of luggage. The service was quick and efficient. The room was nice, a little on the small side for a room with multiple girls but overall nice. Beds were 4/5 for comfort. The only complaint is the room did not have the little things like q-tips or shower caps. The location of he hotel is awesome. The housekeeping was great. The restaurant was really good too. The atmosphere of thr hotel really captures Austin. Overall a wonderful weekend! I would stay here again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Picked this hotel because my firm gets a good corporate rate and it looked nice, but I regret it. My room was in the "tower" part of the hotel, which I guess implies punishment. The A/C is very strange, in that it cools the room, but does not take care of the humidity, so the atmosphere was cold but dank, like a cave. There are no slippers, as should be standard in a nice hotel. I was hesitant to walk around barefoot, so I put on a pair of white socks -- good thing I did, because they got very dirty just from walking around the hotel room! I guess that's why they keep the lighting in the room so bad -- so that you can't see the dirt? Anyway, the lighting was awful. The bathroom is also very low-grade, and without essential supplies such as q-tips or even a shower cap. I probably could have called housekeeping to bring me some, but I don't budget time for that in the morning when I am trying to get to a meeting -- I expect the necessaries to be there. Also, the bed was too soft -- no back support whatsoever.

On the positive side, the decor was attractive and room service pretty good. I also enjoyed the hotel's restaurant for dinner. The honey fried chicken was delicious and the bartender makes an excellent Manhattan, which is the reason I am giving 3 stars instead of 2.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business