I stayed here one night for business. Check in was fast and efficient. The hotel is a historic hotel in the heart of downtown Austin. Very convenient to restaurants and the happenings in Austin. My room had high ceilings and massive amounts of crown molding. Bed was comfy enough. But here is where the hotel was lacking:
1. As with any old hotel, I couldn't get the temp right in the room. Either too hot or too cold. And the AC was so loud it was hard to hear the TV.
2. The bathroom was AWFUL. There was the tiniest sink I have ever seen. Prisoners are given bigger sinks. What was strange is that there was space for a larger sink! Or even a shelf! I had to put my flat iron on the back of the toilet. There was no place to rest a toothbrush, hairbrush, nothing. Why they don't have shelves or a free standing table I have no idea. I get in that in a historic hotel the bathroom is what it is in terms of size, but at least improve where you can. And my second big gripe about the bathroom was that the shower curtain was hung so close tub, that it clung to you as you bathed. That is DISGUSTING as that shower curtain then clings to everyone else and is never washed.
3. I made the mistake of taking off my shoes and not putting slippers on. Within minutes my feet were BLACK. Clean the carpets!
3. At at the cafe for breakfast. Super slow. Waited about 30 mins for food. Then when they brought me the check I asked for a pen to sign it and the waiter goes, "Sorry, the restaurant is all out of pens believe it or not". Really? Why not walk 25 feet to the front desk and get more?
I think there hotels with better amenities in Austin, but if you want something historic then this could be your place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Driskill Hotel. Built in 1886 as the showplace of a cattle baron, The Driskill remains a landmark of legendary Texas hospitality. Located on Sixth Street in the heart of downtown Austin, the luxurious, historic hotel is convenient to all that the city has to offer, including the Texas State Capitol, convention center, opera, symphony, fine dining, shopping, and Austin's 6th Street music scene. Known as the "Live Music Capital of the World,®" Austin is home to nearly 200 music venues, many within walking distance of The Driskill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Driskill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Driskill Hotel Austin
- Driskill Hotel Austin
- Driskill Austin