“Texas-style gem”

Ranked #28 of 202 Hotels in Austin
FL
“Texas-style gem”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Big hearted Texans and lots of long horns make this a unique place to stay in downtown Austin. Our room was smallish, but pretty, well appointed and comfy, and everything worked! There's live music at the bar and we even splurged on massages- even happy with those.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
LH1886, Guest Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
We're so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us, and we'll share your comments with our big-hearted Texan staff! We look forward to welcoming you back to The Driskill on your next visit to Austin.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Uppsala
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am a mother travelling from Europa with my 15 year old son. Driskill is a very sophistacated and beautiful place, but at the same time one feels very much at home. Big room with good beds. I have visited 100´s of hotels around the world, and Driskill is now one of my favourites. Don´t know why, just fell in love with the place!
We had breakfast and lunch at the hotel. Good food but at lunch service was too slow. The receptionists were young and could not answer all our questions, but I still loved the palce!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I am not kidding when I say that the shower we had at The Driskill was one of the best ever. The water pressure was strong and the water was piping hot. That is the most memorable thing about our stay. Other pros include: friendly staff, Texan decor, free coffee in the lobby and the location. Negatives include: small room, musty smell and noise. We got a smaller room than we booked because we arrived 5 hours before check in and wanted to get settled. The room felt extremely small by the second day. Our room only had two towels and they don't do turn down, which was problematic.

Overall, we were pleased with our stay because we booked an extremely low rate and enjoyed ourselves. However, I would be hesitant to recommend this hotel to a friend or to return.

1 Thank J and M M
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my very first trip to Austin and I was uncertain of where we should stay. After reading the other reivews of this hotel my husband I decided the Driskill was definitely the best place, base on location, to stay.

We've traveled all over and I tend to pick the highest rated "luxury" hotels, but I am so glad we picked the Driskill (I'm still not sure why it's not one of the top 5 hotels on Trip Advisor). This is such a unique, historical space that I think staying at one of the luxury hotels would be a mistake. We went to the Four Seasons for a drink and the property is beautiful, but it's very much a hotel, hotel. It's very generic and it feels like you could be staying at a Four Seasons anywhere.

The Driskill however, feels like Texas. =) The staff was very accommodating and friendly. The decor was great - old pictures of cowboys decorate the walls and there are large sculptures of horses that decorate the hotel bar. The overall feeling is warm, welcoming and laidback. This hotel also has an amazing bar that has live music almost every night (great for pre-dinner cocktails), the 1886 Cafe and Bakery (amazing pastries and coffee) and the Driskill Restaurant is one of the highest rated restaurants in Austin.

I would definitely recommend staying here if the reason for your trip is to explore dowtown Austin. It's within walking distance to most of the restaurants and other attractions. Something to note is that ZipCar has 3 cars that are parallel parked right in front of the hotel. We are members of ZipCar and decided to rent a car for a couple hours to drive outside of Austin. SO easy and convenient.

Room Tip: We stayed on the historic side of the hotel on the 5th Floor. We loved room 520. Not much of a vie...
Arizona
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel in itself was nice. I have traveled all over the world, and thought that the hotel was clean, with great decor and even due to its age-comfortable room size, etc. Your received a four diamond environment for a four diamond price (as it should be). I visited Austin for a wedding. Due to the nature of the wedding environment, I decided to have some people over after the wedding in an attempt to continue the celebration, but came to fund that The Driskill does not condone that type of behavior. In their hotel policy-they do not allow noise or smoking. I was fined $650 for smoking and $350 for a noise violation (paying for my neighbors room for noise inconvenience). All my guests and myself were escorted out of the hotel at 3am and treated like complete iniquitous guests. As I attempted to discuss our actions and apologize for the inconvenience in the morning with the manager-I was told that I would be escorted off the property as I am no longer allowed to be on the premises-ever.
I understand their policy is their policy, but they did lack a sense of professionalism and courtesy for a guest that is paying top dollar for a nicer hotel. No room for error nor understanding for the situation at hand. They came off as elitists....

The Driskill is nice hotel, BUT... BE CAREFUL that you do not disrupt their environment for it will be an expensive and 'criminal' action...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank NG223
washington dc
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had heard about this hotel and set up an anniversary trip, first time to Austin and Texas. I made the reservations online 4 months in advance, called twice to confirm the reservation and the specific room I wanted to stay in. When we arrived, I was informed that we were going to be upgraded as our room was unavailable. We were not upgraded. We were put into a room not normally put into use as it was dark, dingy, drab, and cave like. It then proved to be absolutely miserable when it turned into the ceiling of an excessively loud disco/ club. The room was shaking and loud. The hall and lobby were quieter. We were forced to leave the room until after midnight. In the morning we were told we could be moved to another room when it was ready. We vacated 413 at 9am leaving our bags to be moved to the next room. Due to a lack of communication, it was 9:30pm before we walked into our second room. Our bags were not there but it was a lovely room, entirely different from the first room. By now we were too exhausted and upset to enjoy the room or the surrounding nightlife. We went to sleep only to be woken up 3 times in the middle of the night when the overhead light suddenly turned on. And then the clock radio, which we hadn't touched, went off. It was utterly miserable. I currently have a charge for $950.00 and a second charge for $7.79 on my credit card from the Driskill Hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the fourth floor of the old building.
4 Thank reetinsley
LH1886, Guest Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience, and we apologize for your stay being less than legendary. We'd like to discuss your stay further, please do contact us at your convenience, at 512.474.1234.
Burkburnett, Texas, Usa
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is a phenomenon. Such a pleasant stay. Will definitely be returning. It's right on 6th street, they have romantic carriage rides. They are really located right in the middle of all the fun.

• Stayed February 2013