“Local Getaway goes sour ...”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #27 of 204 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Driskill has held special status for our family in Austin for the 13 years we have lived here. Having no family in town we have our Christmas Dinner here every year. Some of our most treasured occasions have been celebrated here from birthdays to promotions. It has been my wife and I's go to place to spend a night on our own without our kids. How disappointing then that our most recent stay, celebrating my wife's birthday, was so horrible. 50 minutes to check in after receiving a shoebox room in the tower- only to be moved to an identical closet of a room in the tower. After making arrangements to have a champagne setup upon arrival to celebrate- nothing. An ice maker that kept us up all night. A front desk manager that was ineffective and, frankly, incompetent. Front desk staff that didn't seem to ever know what was going on. Having to repeat my concerns over and over again to different people to no avail. And upon checkout- indifference to our complaints. Hyatt, I learned, has recently purchased the hotel and understandably I suppose this has the staff on edge. You would, however, think that would make them better not worse. The tower rooms are, frankly, just not worth the rate being charged as they are outdated, tiny beyond belief, and loud. The staff needs some serious training and better management . Sad to see such an Austin gem lose it's shine. We won't be back- no worries there.

Room Tip: Do not book a tower room if you can avoid it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Stoaks
Write a ReviewReviews (2,125)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

You are going to pay for your stay here - with discount rates, parking, 1 Movie and $27.00 in meals our tab was somewhere near $750.00 and this was a special package rate. Walk in the door and you know the place was special. I called about 11 something and requested an early check-in, was told to head on down they were ready - the room was very well kept, temperature was comfortable and you felt welcomed. Asked the concierge for some recommendations on art galleries, next thing I knew she was driving us down to see some!

Happy Hour in the bar was great, drinks and appetizers were a great deal and again the atmosphere can't be beat.

Only negative was the restaurant on 6th street. No one was manning the host desk, waited around - got seated outside then waited, and waited... almost left when someone came out - then the wait for drinks... Other guests were confused, some just sat at dirty tables - there was little to no management going on. Got a brisket flat bread "pizza" that was terrible - the brisket had no flavor at all and was bone dry, no marbling at all - needed a lot of water to wash this down! I ordered the Ribeye and was served a Strip! - actually got in a mini-argument, they did take it back and did not charge - but as a former "chef" who's favorite cut is a Ribeye there was no doubt. The whole process was frustrating, we were hungry and wound up wishing we went almost anywhere else.

Not sure if I would return, there are a lot of other choices, and while I do not mind spending for nice stay's as I was not spending my time in the Hotel, I think there are other options near by I would try the next time - spend the extra money at Ruth's Chris!

That said it was a very nice stay and the hotel is a must see -

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I love that they saved this old building and restored it to it's previous glory. This is a very handsome property with big rooms and a grand lobby.
Great location downtown.
Only a few items I'd pass on...
- I'm staying in #309 and anything on the 3rd floor seems to have a lovely view of the rooftop of the next door building. My view has some handsome air ducts and AC units.
- To hide this view they use an excessive about of curtains. You could clothe an entire orphanage with all this fabric
- The room has a lot of lights, but can still be a bit dim. In this room, there are two queen beds with only one dim bedside table.
- The hotel and room is clean, but it's showing a bit of age especially in the bathroom.
- Other reviewers found the rooms handsome, and this is of course a question of style and taste. With the somewhat high ceilings, I'd love to have someone come in to these rooms and lighten them up. They are a tad dark. But, apparently people like that. In general, I found my room to be a bit over-done.
- Sound proofing is not the best. I was awaken to my neighbor peeing and then answering his phone. I suddenly feel bad for watching three episodes in a row of Family Guy last night with the volume slightly high.
- People say the building is haunted. As someone who doesn't necessarily believe in ghosts or dragons or draculas, I had no run-in with spirits (except for a glass of Cognac (huh-huh)).
- Comfortable bed. I slept fine.

Room Tip: Go high. Avoid the 3rd floor - my view is of AC units.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel shortly after it was acquired by the Hyatt brand. I had heard great things about the bar and the hotel - plus, the location was top notch.

The service initially by the valet was pretty rude and not welcoming (my theory is that we were getting in late and he was at the end of his shift, so maybe just a little cranky?), but short of that, everyone else I encountered was very friendly and helpful.

There was a snafu in the booking process - somehow my reservation got broken into 3 separate stays... the first night we were upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor. Vaulted ceilings, and a very old school feel between the mouldings, narrow passageway into the room, furniture, etc. Nice - not my taste, but nice. Then we were called back to the room mid afternoon because they needed the room for someone else... I had no idea our reservation was broken up until they called. They then put us in a 2 queen room and were able to keep us there for the remaining 2 nights. It was a little more modern and quite nice.

The location was right at the end of where all the busy stuff is on 6th street. great location, and walking distance to all the bars you could want - however, the noise didn't seem to penetrate much into the rooms (not that I noticed at least). Great stay, and would definitely do it again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a beautifully restored historic hotel in the heart of downtown Austin. The lobby, bar, guest rooms, bathrooms, restaurants, ballrooms are gorgeously decorated and appointed with the most classic features. So classic, was their turn down with a Yellow Rose left on the bed. Just what you would expect in Texas.

It is in walking distance to the State Capital, the Capital Musuem and even the Bob Bullock Museum. All three of these are phenomenal to visit. One day, the consier drove me to the Bob Bullock Museum and then I walked back through the capital and to the hotel. Of course, this was not enough time to see the capital and the capital museum, so I walked back to those venues the next day. So beautiful!!!

The hotel restaurant has a great menu and the bar has great food, as well. And, the hotel is in walaking distance to 6th Street with all of the music and restaurants there.

Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are small, which you would expect in a historic hotel. We had one with a sitting room atta...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stately building but by no means not up-to-date. Our room was very comfortable and the building itself is very attractive. Located a short walk from the Capitol Building (or whatever they call it) and not terribly far from the University of Texas. Plenty of very good restaurants in easy walking distance. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. If we're ever in Austin again, no doubt about it, THIS is where we're staying.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Traveled on business to the Driskill. Upon arriving, I was stressed due to a terrible rental car. However, the stress dissipated once I stepped foot into this beautiful hotel. I was upgraded to the Yellow Rose Suite. When I stepped into the room, I stopped in my tracks and just took in the beautiful features of the room. It was all I could do to tear myself away and go to my meeting. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom wonderful, and the details stunning. The front desk personnel were extremely pleasant and helpful. The valet courteous. Everything was perfect- thank you for a terrific stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business