“The Driskill Hotel is a LOVELY Austin Landmark!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #24 of 198 Hotels in Austin
Charlotte, North Carolina
“The Driskill Hotel is a LOVELY Austin Landmark!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you're going to Austin, and want to be in the middle of it all, stay at the Driskill Hotel! It is an icon, built about 1886, and steeped in history! The renovations on the Hotel are admirable and well done, the bar is stellar, with cow print sofas, music night;ly, and delicious cocktails and a bar menu very worthy of partaking! It seemed to be one of THE places to BE in Austin! We ate several meals in the Cafe, and each one was yummy, especially the Brisket Burger with queso, and the Paris Benedict at Brunch! The staff was knowledgeable of the area with numerous recommendations, and friendly. We'll be back!

Room Tip: The rooms are rather small, but the tall ceilings were a plus. It was comfortable though.
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Driskoll is a classic and everyone visiting Austin should check it out for at a least a drink in the old school bar. I stayed for one night on business and found the service lived up to the hype. At check-in I received a free room upgrade. The room was enormous and opulent with super high ceilings, extravagant furnishings, and a marble and brass bathroom. I think it’s a cute touch that classical musical is quietly streaming from the small audio system when you arrive in the room. I was psyched!

After a full day of business meetings and a nice meal out, I arrived back at hotel looking forward to a luxurious nights’ sleep. When I arrived that evening there was some sort of college semi-formal event underway. There were tons of college kids streaming into a ballroom next to my room. My room was situated next to event space and a large balcony. My enormous lovely room was engulfed in event noise. I called the desk to see how late the event was going and I would have to wait it out several hours so I decided to move my room.

Staff moved my room to a newer part of the building they claimed was far from street noise, event noise, etc. This new room was a more traditional deluxe room and while it was lovely, it felt tiny and pretty blah compared to the fancy room I was in originally. At any rate it was quiet, the linens were high quality. Unfortunately even this location was disturbed by noise. Around 1:30 a.m. a couple (drunk) were yelling in the hallway and woke me up. I called the desk and they sent security.

So it was a less than perfect experience but service was very, very good. The location is fantastic and the bar and restaurant is very good. I’d absolutely give The Driskoll my business again if the rate were competitive. It’s a lovely hotel with grand style and top notch service. Perhaps there will be an opportunity to better sound proof at some point.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank A C
Pacifica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in January and overall the stay was lovely. The rooms are comfortable and the bed linens have a light scent of lavender, so nice. Bar area is comfy and you can even order from the restaurant if you like. We had the best steak and salad while having drinks. One thing I will point out is don't touch or move anything in the mini fridge in the room. I moved one item to make room for my own bottle and they charged the room $9 for something I didn't even take.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
College Station, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The bar is really cool and the ghost tour is also pretty neat. The location is tough to beat as the driskill is located right on 6th street. Would definitely go back. The rooms are fairly cozy but the old time charm makes up for the lack of room.

- Zach b.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Recently my wife and I stayed at the Driskill for a couple of nights. We rented a car and for about $30/day, decided to take advantage of the valet parking. Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by a friendly staff as we made our way directly to the check in counter. Check in was easy. Our room was very clean, roomy and comfortable. What we appreciated the most was the location of the hotel. It's located right on Sixth St. Overall, it was very enjoyable. I recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Try the Senate rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Coolhandluke13
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The room was pretty small for a Texas hotel (think New York sized hotel rooms). That's not much to complain about since there was ample room to work and the bed is super comfortable. I did order room service, which arrived exactly on time each day. The service in the bar was pretty slow, but it was also a pretty popular place with a good sized crowd. The staff was friendly and helpful, but didn't blow me away. I did not deal with any billing issues as the reservation and payment was generally handled by my law firm, so I cannot speak to any management issues as others have. The location was very good for getting around on foot. I would stay here again if presented the opportunity.

Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I consult trip advisor on a regular basis and feel guilty for not having contributed up to this point..... and even more guilty that it's a negative review that has prompted me to.....
My girlfriend and I stayed at The Driskill on February 19th for a medical conference/meeting I was to attend on the 20th. Everything about the hotel was exceptional right up to the point of check-out.
The meeting I was attending ran several hours late. My girlfriend contacted the front desk and the receptionist was nice enough to give us a grace period of one hour from 12 till 1, but beyond, we would be charged $50 per hour until 3. At that time, we would be charged one full nights charge. All of which we thought was very fair and reasonable.
At approximately 2:40, my girlfriend contacted the front desk and asked that our bags be brought down and that she would wait for me in the lobby so we would not be charged an additional nights stay. She informed the front desk that we had checked out and that I would close out the bill/paperwork when I returned.
I returned from the meeting at approximately 3:30..... The assistant front office manager informed me that I would be charged an additional nights stay of approximately $350.... I informed him that we vacated the room prior to that time and that was a mistake... I told him that I had no issues paying the $100 ($50 per hour from 1 to 3) which we owed for being late, but an additional nights charge was not correct. The assistant front office manager (name unknown) called the office manager, William Binsford, to ask if the charge could be dismissed. He replied that it could not and that he could not speak to me because he "was getting his hair cut"..... seriously....
The assisant said he could reduce that nightly rate to approximately $220 per night... Because I did not want to continue the discussion and was anxious to leave, I reluctantly agreed...
When I got home and checked the charges to my account, The Driskill had actually applied the $350 charge to my account. My bank tried multiple times over a period of a week to contact William Binsford without a return call. He was finally reached after a week and his only response was to refer to the time at which I signed the bill despite the fact we had checked out prior to 3.
It is truly mind-boggling to think that someone with that lack of professionalism and seedy practices could reach a managerial position with a hotel like The Driskill.

7 Thank sevo90