“Great Place to Stay in Austin”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #28 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Place to Stay in Austin”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We've been to Austin many times. This was the first time we were able to stay at the Driskill. Highly recommended. Cannot beat the location. The historic nature of the building. Service, decor, etc. are all top notch.
Restaurants are all fantastic and worth trying. Lots of activity in and around the hotel.
Check it out....you'll be glad you did!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Amersham
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Loved the hotel's location, warm welcome from the staff and the amazing public spaces. When it came to the bottom line though, providing a good night's rest, the Driskill came up short.

One of the forms that you sign upon checking in is an understanding that the Driskill set out to provide a quiet and peaceful environments for their overnight guests, and they reserve the right to 'assess a fee' if you are found to be breaking this requirement. How ironic that the hotel don't take the slightest measures to protect guests from noise outside the hotel.

For some reason, the city of Austin permits delivery and refuse-collection trucks to start operating at 4am. This is clearly beyond the Driskill's control. What is NOT beyond their control is some basic noise insulation measures. There's are only single panes of glass in the windows, no double units or noise reducing boxed windows. So, at 4am, it was reverberating booms, rattles and gunning engines and bye-bye sleep.

The mattress on the king bed was also very peculiar. I can't speak to it's quality, however when anyone shifted position or moved in the night, the other person was bounced around, however far apart in the bed we were.

We raised the noise issue upon check out, which was met with sympathy but not even a small gesture of 'we obviously failed to meet your expectations'. Ironically again, a hotel that reserves the right to fine/surcharge noisy guests was not prepared to waive a $15 breakfast charge which had not appeared on the account at check-out, as a sorry for THEIR poor noise levels.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your posting. As an downtown hotel, exterior noise can sometimes be an issue. In an effort to mitigate ocasional "street noise", the hotel has been installing secondary windows for optimal insulation. Since the hotel is so in demand, this process has been protracted so as not to impact our hotel guests with installation efforts. I apologize that you did not feel the bed was relaxing and comfortable - generally we received nothing but accolades on our beds. Thank you for your business.
Pacific Coast Australia, Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Firstly. - the location is first rate, close to many live music venue sites along 6th, though maybe a bit too close on Saturday night before thanksgiving. Austin is a concentrated town centre, so frankly there are cheaper options if you are not stopping there for the ambience of the Driskill. Really, the main entertainment area of Austin, bordered by say 1st Street, Trinity to Guadalupe Sts up to 7th is an easy walk. Back to the Driskill - The service was good, though the rooms are expectedly small (consistent with a building of its age - mid 1850's). Best comparison I can give is rooms are similar in size in say Italy or France non suite size rooms, I.e. not much room around the bed. The architecture is stunning and matched by the service of Rylan the concierge who was engaging, humorous and provided tremendous service above our expectations.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the back of building facing away from 6th Street if you are chasing good sleep...
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A grand hotel with a grand tradition, complete staff, and notable facilities. Much elegant decor, impressive. As central to Austin as it gets, with two great restaurants being a real plus. It took a certain amount of persistence to obtain reservations in the Bakery & Cafe (i.e., for its fine breakfasts and luncheon fare). The Grill is a "fine dining" wood-paneled restaurant that delivers particularly commendable cooking (Austin is not strong on in-town gourmet eateries). Hotel was crowded owing to Film Festival and UofTexas Football weekend, but they handled the crush rather well. The bar was full of life, to say the least -- but not obnoxious (to us teetotalers). The hotel is situated in such a way that many rooms -- perhaps a majority -- are probably going to be noisy at one time of day or another (one side is exposed to an alley with a bank of compressors etc. for an adjacent building). The elevators handle the establishment's five floors just fine, but they are leisurely and few. Everyone we dealt with connected to the hotel showed concern for the guests's particular problems, starting with Ms. McHendricks in Reservations. Concierge Eleni V. was knowledgeable, keen, and quite helpful. Taxi service at the door on Brazos St. was essential for our purposes, and was always available there.

Room Tip: We were in 5-27. Space was very fine. (But bath facilities a bit on the crowded side, perhaps, with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Overall, it was a lovely stay. The hotel itself is beautiful, and my room was a good size and well furnished. Unfortunately, it was at the back of the hotel, which meant I was awakened by delivery trucks each morning at 7:00. I suppose the alternative might've been to be over 6th Street, which would have been louder, so I'll count my blessings.

The elevators were slow, and some were out of order. At one point the housekeeping staff left a dirty cleaning rag in my room. And on my last night the wireless internet went down; it hadn't been restored before I left. Also, they added parking charges to my bill, despite the fact I didn't have a car with me. After some back and forth, the charges were removed.

I ate breakfast at the bakery and cafe one morning and only found it so-so. The food was a bit bland (my toast was burned) and the service was a bit slow. But all friendly. And the server did at least keep drinks filled.

Overall, it's a nice facility staffed by friendly people. The problems were minor. I'd consider staying there again, if my business were holding more meetings there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
LH1886, Guest Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
We appreciate the feedback and I sincerely apologize that you had these inconveniences during your stay. I'd be interested in getting a bit more information from you- if you'd like to discuss this, please give me a call at 512-391-7034. -Laura with The Driskill
London
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Like most who stay at the Driskill, I was anxious to experience the Texas authenticity and charm for which the place is famous. In this I wasn't disappointed. If I had been there on a different sort of trip, say, a family vacation or special weekend, it would have been fine but alas, this was a business trip. For business travellers, the Driskill has big shortfalls.

First problem: Internet access. I needed to get online to review some figures for my presentation. The front desk assured me that all I had to do was select the Driskill network. Not so. On calling back, I was transferred to external tech support and put on hold for about 10 minutes. A technician finally answered and helped me tinker around with the connection. The service worked temporarily but quit working after I hung up. Disappointing! I called the front desk (again) and asked to be transferred to tech support (again), complaining that really, they should have basic working internet service. This is Austin, after all! The curt and infuriating reply was that other rooms weren't having a problem - as if it was my fault! So it was back to tech support, back to more hold time . . . are you getting bored? So was I! This went on until late into the evening to no avail which was unfortunate because I was presenting early the next day.

Second problem: Fire alarm. During my presentation, which was going well initially, the fire alarm went off complete with flashing lights. No big deal. I kept going and everything seemed fine until . . . "Ladies and gentlemen, please may I have your attention, we can verify that the preceding fire alarm was false. Please disregard, &c". OK, we all stopped and had a good laugh. After the explanation was over, I began to present again, until . . . "Ladies and gentlemen, please may I have your attention, we can verify that the preceding . . ." Again I had to stop! Fewer laughs. I proceeded until again, a third time: "Ladies and gentlemen, please may I have your attention . . ." Oh for heaven's sake! It was like the hotel was trying to sabotage my presentation.

Third problem: Transportation to the airport. I won't belabour this but suffice it to say, the hotel did not communicate with the company giving the conference and I ended up standing around on the curb in Austin unnecessarily wasting more time when I should have been en route to my flight.

These three separate occurrences convinced me that the hotel is not fit for purpose for business conferences or maybe even business travellers. If you are a casual tourist with time to spare, it's probably a quaint, authentic, charming experience. If you need businesslike dependability and zero drama, there are better options in Austin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your posting. I apologize that your internet connectivity was inferior. The hotel has recently installed many new Wireless Access Points (WAP's) to ensure each guest can easily connect and at speeds that are desired. I regret that the hotel's fire alarms conflicted with your presentation. Not dissimilar from constant Internet and other upgrades, The Driskill boasts a state-of-the-art fire and life safety system and as untimely as alarms and announcements may be, the system was working as its designed to be. Lastly, transportation to and from The Driskill is something the hotel executes dozens of times each day. I'm sure this is just a matter of communication. The hotel hosts hundreds of business travelers each week and has long been a business destination at the very epicenter of downtown Austin. Please accept my appologies and know that The Driskill Hotel will continue to refine its services and make substantial investments in ensuring that every aspect of the hotel is ideal for travelers of all types. Thank you for your business.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is a sensational hotel right in the heart of 6th street. The Management promised us a stay that would exceed our expectations and the delivered. THe Grill has a world class menu and let the staff choose your wine they do a sensational job. Do yourself a favour and stay here.

Room Tip: The staff will give you the best room available. we had a city view of Lady Bords Penthouse.