“Great location.... food and service..... HAUNTED!!!!!”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #27 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Stafford, Virginia
“Great location.... food and service..... HAUNTED!!!!!”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Spent 4 days at this hotel for business. My room didn't have a hair dryer, so look for one when you check in.

Food and service were wonderful in the restaurant. Try the charizo stuffed dates!!!

The hotel is within walking distance to Austin's finest restaurants and shopping.

Cab ride from the airport is about $30 with tip.

Fitness center is average sized, but equipped with weights, bike, 2 treadmills, and elliptical. Water, towels, and ear buds were supplied.

I had a haunting experience in my room on the 9th floor. Cigar smoke and other paranormal activity. I later learned the hotel was haunted.

Room Tip: Fitness Center is in the tower. Ask for a corner room, so you have more light.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 7, 2012

From reservations to check in to the great Staff in the Grill. Our experience at the Driskill was outstanding. It has made it very difficult to stay anywhere else in Austin. Scott and Matthew were very knowledgeable and extremely friendly as our waiter team in the Grill. They actually brought out ginger ale for my 13 year old daughter so she could enjoy her sorbet before her main course. The sorbet is usually served with champagne but to include my minor child they went that extra step to make her feel special. Best ribeye I've ever had.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Thank you for your posting and kind words regarding your experience. I'm glad Olivia enjoyed herself. The Driskill has been creating lasting experiences for over 125 years now - as Austin's most celebrated (and oldest operating) hotel, we're glad we were able to craft one for you!
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed March 6, 2012

During our recent stay at the Driskill we were treated like celebrities! It was a wonderful feeling and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Then bar lounge was beautiful and the service superb. The Rueben sandwich delicious. What an absolutely beautiful piece of architecture - breath taking

• Stayed March 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Beautiful hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The concierge was wonderful and made great reservations and drove us to dinner when she saw that I was suffering from low blood sugar. It has a great location (although a confusing entrance when driving). It made for a real Texas experience for us.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank O2knit
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Wonderful hotel in Austin, very convenient, great ambiance and the hotel staff was extremely attentive. Worth the cost.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My husband and I were finally able to get away for a vacation and to celebrate our 3rd anniversary. We decided to stay at the Driskill because it is an unique destination and it has been awarded high marks for service. Clearly it is experiencing management problems at this time. Both my husband and I have traveled extensively for work and pleasure and have stayed at the likes of the Pfister, Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, etc and we had similar expectations for service.
When we first arrived at the hotel and at each subsequent arrival from an outing, no one greeted us, opened our car doors, nor opened the hotel door. In fact, the staff acted as if our presence was an imposition upon them. The valets (mind you, we are paying $28/day and tips, didn't open the car doors, provide directions, and at one point told us our car was a block away and we could just go get it - "the keys were in it"). To top it all off, the bell man and valets watched me struggle with lifting a package out of our car, and never assisted me and I am 5 months pregnant.
While the lobby and bar were beautiful, they had a strong sewer odor every time we walked through them. In addition, maids were seens spraying the carpets with some type of deodorizer. Our water in the shower also smelled of sewer.
All night long of each night we would hear loud noises of heater or air conditioning vents, which prevented us from sleeping well. Then at 7:30 a.m. the maids started slamming doors while cleaning adjacent doors.
On the second day of our our trip, we were awakened by the engineering department testing fire alarms. Mind you, this was supposed to be a relaxing trip for us! This testing of the fire alarms was accompanied by flashing lights and loud alarms...so we had to change our plans and leave the hotel. I have epilepsy, and flashing lights can cause me to have seizures (not good when pregnant!!) so we had to leave the hotel for the day. These fire alarms continued until well after 4 pm that day! And started again the next day. We had to stay out of our room for the entire day until the concierge called to give us the "all clear".
On the day of our anniversary, we had returned to our room for an afternoon nap, we were awakened by the front desk telling us that we had to check out because they had our reservation ending that day. We had originally tried to make the reservation for two additional nights, but they had no rooms, but we definitely had made it to go through our anniversary and had made it through their site.
At this point I spoke to a manager.
The hotel sent a cake to our room as an apology, but overall, I feel that this hotel needs a complete overhaul. They need to work on service from the valets, bellhops, maids, additional staff in the lobby, and overall attitude. I had better service at the Fairfield Inn on the way to Austin and the way back to Austin, and that is a shame!
I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dana S
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you for posting your candid feedback. I apologize that we failed to deliver our usual legendary service and would like to speak with you when it's convenient for you (512-391-7058). It was very difficult and disappointing to try and manage a city water line that ruptured just next to the hotel. The hotel exhausted every resource to mitigate the effects of the compromised water line. The breach was located, repaired and the hotel is back to its normal state. Thank you again, I look forward to speaking with you.